OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 02:38:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Church in Singapore evicted from its rented premises.  (Read 1354 times) Average Rating: 0
Sophie

« on: April 01, 2008, 03:29:49 PM »

From a Facebook Orthodox group I found the following piece of news.I do not think it has been posted yet in this forum:

"Please help us to spread the news and help in any way you can!

An Orthodox Church in Singapore has been evicted from its rented building in Great Lent! The more people know about this situation, the better we'll be able to prevent this from happening again.

The Orthodox community here has nowhere to hold services, and Pascha/Easter is fast approaching on April 27…"

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/336489/1/.html

http://www.geocities.com/orthodoxchurchsg/

"Thoughts are like airplanes flying in the air. If you ignore them, there is no problem. If you pay attention to them, you create an airport inside your head and permit them to land!" (Priestmonk Christodoulos Aggeloglou, Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain Mount Athos, Greece, 1998,pp. 29-30, 48)
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:30:25 PM »

Wow.  Lord have mercy. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 05:44:36 PM »

Lord have mercy!

The same thing happened last summer to an OCA parish I work closely with in Tuscaloosa that had been leasing its space for the past 25 years. Their landlord's action eventually forced the parish to purchase land in an nearby town, and they just 'settled in' to their new building last week.

So...the hand of the Lord is in everything. This, too, will have a good result.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:37:07 PM »

Yikes!  I hope that parish can find new digs in short order.

Even if they had a right to throw the church out of the building, they had no right to go into the sanctuary and bother the relics and the chalice.  Grr!!   Angry

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: