OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 05:07:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More "unusual" saints and icons  (Read 2272 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« on: June 27, 2003, 08:28:53 AM »

I thought I would post this before anyone else who visits Mo'Nachos did.

Someone over there posted the following link
http://www.saintgregorys.org/GodsFriends/Vol8/No2/Dancing_Saints.html

I know there was a thread dealing with this but I couldn't find it. I am actually reluctant to post this given recent discussions regarding the Episcopal church, so please don't take this as throwing fuel on the fire. I am pretty certain that our episcopallian friends will be just as appalled by this as would orthodox and catholics.

Click on the link "work in progress" to see some of these "saints".

John.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 09:28:02 AM »

outrageous, especially Charles Darwin, but I had to give it to him, St. Seraphim jiving with the bear was classic.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 09:59:28 AM »

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, or just say "huh?Huh"

There are some surprises in the Episcopal kalendar of saints, but it hasn't gotten that weird.

Here (I think) are those who actually are on the Episcopal kalendar (with a few comments on some who aren't):

Aelred
Thomas Aquinas
Barnabas
I'm not sure about Black Elk, but I think not
David isn't there (we don't have OT figures in our kalendar)
Francis of Assisi
Gregory of Nyssa
Isaiah isn't there (same as for David)
Julian of Norwich
I'm not sure about Queen Liliuokalani-- there is a pair of Hawaiian monarchs on the kalendar, but I'm sure which ones
Martin Luther
Mary Magdalene
not sure about Thomas Merton, but I don't think so
John Mason Neale
Florence Nightingale
not sure about Origen
Patrick
Paul
Samuel Joseph Isaac Schereschewski
not sure about Sergius and Bacchus, but I don't think so
not sure about Symeon
Theresa of Avila
Charles Wesley
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 10:38:46 AM by Keble » Logged
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 10:59:08 AM »

Say, did anyone notice any Republican saints?

Maybe I missed them.

No Reagan?  Sad

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 11:06:15 AM »

You can't put Reagan up he is still alive. Maybe they can add Strom now that he is gone. He would make a great Saint for this parish since he always changed to go in the directions of his followers. Grin
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 11:06:49 AM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 11:09:34 AM »

You can't put Reagan up he is still alive. Maybe they can add Strom now that he is gone. He would make a great Saint for this parish since he always changed to go in the directions of his followers. Grin

Oops! Good point!

What about Teddy Roosevelt or Eisenhower?

I saw that Malcolm X is on the list. Seems to me they need to balance it before it tilts over and falls to the left.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 11:59:06 AM »

I've written about this church before. Some might expect me to hate it. I don't. They're bright, they're creative, they've got a lot of good ideas pinched from the liturgics of the orthodox - and they're wrong. Their problem is they're not 'churched' - the secular world is their magisterium. If this were grounded in truth, it could be a wonderful thing.

That mishmash iconography is pretty incredible. The real Malcolm X would have laughed his ass off at these (based on the pics) white liberals. Queen Elizabeth I is a very revealing choice - kill the Catholics and impose Protestantism by force. Shows how intolerant liberals really are at the end of the day. Most of the rest is simply contradictory nonsense or acknowledging the secular world's 'canonized saints'.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2003, 09:56:20 AM by Serge » Logged

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 01:47:57 PM »

I've written about this church before. Some might expect me to hate it. I don't. They're bright, they're creative, they've got a lot of good ideas pinched from the liturgics of the orthodox - and they're wrong. Their problem is they're not 'churched' - the secular world is their magisterium. If this were grounded in truth, it could be a wonderful thing.

Or to put it another way, they're taking it seriously, but they aren't constrained by any criticism. (Bishop Swing is notoriously syncretist.)

That mismash iconography is pretty incredible. The real Malcolm X would have laughed his ass off at these (based on the pics) white liberals. Queen Elizabeth I is a very revealing choice - kill the Catholics and impose Protestantism by force.

Oh, I have to think that she's up there because of her pretty dress. I noticed the conspicuous absence of C. S. Lewis.

If you're wondering how Aelred got in there, by the way, it's because the homosexual lobby is claiming him as one of their own. I'm still trying to figure out Origen.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2003, 02:46:19 PM »

My first reaction to some of the list was "Where is the smiley for pinching the bridge of the nose and shaking the head?"  A bit further down it became "ERK?!?"

/analysis mode on

This data has not been checked by another to catch errors, but I found the following:

Male: 50
Female: 31
African: 2
African-American: 5
Post Diaspora Jewish: 5
Pacific Islanders: 2
Chinese or Japanese: 6
American Indian:1
Middle Asian (Persia, India etc): 5

I have some guesses as to why some are there.

Elizabeth I: Strong Female figure from Anglican History (Notice that her father is not there as far as we know.)

Other Female leaders/strong figures include: Donaldina Cameron, Lady Godiva (the "explanation" for her ride makes me gag.) Anne Huchinson, Hypatia (both persecuted by establishemen/"fundamentalists") Miriam, Elenor Roosevelt, Maria Skobtsova (also counter establishment), Theresa of Avila, Sojourner Truth and Mother Lucy Wright (Shaker, not Christian in their theology, also has the dance angle which seems to be an important factor in this parish, see also Martha Graham)

Music, Art and Dance: William Byrd, Shakespeare, John Coltrane, Mirabai (Sorry, iirc some of her poems are about devotion to Khrishna, but she also went against convention.) Ella Fitzgerald, Friederich the painter, Neale and Wesley.

Others are there, as other's have written for Political reasons, someo of which I'm dubious about. What is the support to the idea that Su Shi influenced FDR?

Origen, I can only guess at, perhaps with his pre-existance of souls idea it goes with re-incarnation, though I don't know.

Sergius and Bacchus because they have been coopted as having been a couple.

The mathematcians and scientists are puzzling except that they are secular famous people.

Darwin is right out and I'd suspect that he would not approve at all.  Also, the assertion that Darwin was a deacon is nothing I'm ever read.  While I must check more sources, the back of my mind is wondering if someone got confused with Charles Dodgeson aka Lewis Carroll who along with being a mathematician and writer of "Alice" *Was* a deacon.

Incomplete, I'm afraid.  Just some thoughts.

/analysis mode off

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2003, 02:51:14 PM »

Good observations, Keble and Ebor. Of course C.S. Lewis isn't there - he was orthodox, he isn't fashionable and the hated evangelical Protestants like him, even though he wasn't one of them.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2003, 04:24:33 PM »

Poked around and found out that Kubilai Khan's mother *was* a Christian (Nestorian) She's pretty obscure, but I suspect she's there as 1) an Asian Woman and 2) one bit out fuond said that she was supportive of moslems, Buddhists, Taoists and other religions.  i.e. she was "tolerant" of other faiths.  My apologies if I sound a touch jaundiced.

The Hawaiin monarchs on the Episcopal Kalendar are King Kamehemeha and his wife Queen Emma at the end of November. Queen Lilioukalani was overthrown by colonists and kept under house arrest in her palace.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2003, 08:31:54 AM »

Elizabeth I: Strong Female figure from Anglican History (Notice that her father is not there as far as we know.)

Well, let's be grateful for small mercies! The most interesting female for my money was the anonymous Alexandrian washerwoman - now she could claim to represent the female experience!

Brigid

PS Ebor, I love your new avatar.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2003, 06:49:09 PM by Brigid of Kildare » Logged

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2003, 12:53:09 PM »

Just what is their definition of sanctity?  Yikes.

Seraphim

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: