OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:56:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 canons and an akathist the night before communion reception?  (Read 899 times) Average Rating: 0
Cassiel

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: March 19, 2008, 11:29:48 AM »

I'm a catechumen, so this isn't an issue for me - yet.  I'll be baptized at Pascha and I want to receive communion properly.  I read this on a church's website:

Those who are preparing for Holy Communion are obliged to read three Canons and one Akathist the evening before. Usually read are the Canons to the Saviour, the Mother of God, and the Guardian Angel (in that order), and either an Akathist to the Saviour or to the Mother of God. Those who desire to carry out this evening rule of prayer daily receive great spiritual benefit from) doing so.

You can find it here: http://www.orthodox.net/ustav/order-for-reading-canons.html

Obliged?  Really?  Not that it's a problem or anything, but sometimes it worries me to come across things like this - it reminds me that there is SO MUCH I do not know...

More than you should want to know about Cassiel.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:45:28 AM »

Each person gets a prayer rule from his spiritual Father.  It differs from parish and jurisdiction. They probably won't start you off with something you can't handle, either.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:46:11 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:50:23 AM »

Please note that the statement you quoted is posted on the web site of St. Nicholas Orthodox Church (ROCOR) in Dallas, TX.  The statement represents the practice of that parish and that parish alone.  The practice described therein is not obligatory upon those who are not members of St. Nicholas Church.  As you become Orthodox, you will learn what is expected of you at the parish you choose to join.  Your local parish practice in preparation for Communion is the only practice you are required to follow.
Tags: communion preparation for Communion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: