OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 04:47:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New movie “Expelled” challenges Darwinian theory  (Read 47893 times) Average Rating: 0
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #270 on: February 22, 2010, 09:06:48 PM »

Philosophy may be a fun mind-game at times, but none of it has any impact on the reality we all live in from day to day.

Yet every one of us, you included, operates according to a life philosophy.  Wink

Everyone of us operates according to a neural network with initial boundaries established by genetic predispositions which is then adjusted and augmented by neural-chemical reactions to perceived environmental inputs. Some may wish to call this a 'philosophy', but it's just a cop-out by those who are unwilling to attempt to understand the biochemical neural network-based computer that is our brain.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #271 on: February 22, 2010, 09:49:49 PM »

Philosophy may be a fun mind-game at times, but none of it has any impact on the reality we all live in from day to day.

Yet every one of us, you included, operates according to a life philosophy.  Wink

Everyone of us operates according to a neural network with initial boundaries established by genetic predispositions which is then adjusted and augmented by neural-chemical reactions to perceived environmental inputs. Some may wish to call this a 'philosophy', but it's just a cop-out by those who are unwilling to attempt to understand the biochemical neural network-based computer that is our brain.
And then there are those of us who are unwilling to attempt to understand the metaphysical aspects of ourselves and how they interact with said chemicals and neural networks.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #272 on: February 22, 2010, 10:01:23 PM »

And then there are those of us who are unwilling to attempt to understand the metaphysical aspects of ourselves and how they interact with said chemicals and neural networks.

Oh, it's not ignored, there's a field of neurology, going by the term neurotheology from Huxley's Island, that studies the parts of the brain that generate what some perceive as religious experiences in a repeatable, verifiable, and quantitative manner; as well as the evolutionary origins of this part of the brain.

Of course, no one has managed to demonstrate that there are stimuli from non-physical sources that affect these neurons, but if you have scientific evidence of such, I'd be willing to look at it.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #273 on: February 22, 2010, 10:50:49 PM »

Oh, it's not ignored, there's a field of neurology, going by the term neurotheology from Huxley's Island, that studies the parts of the brain that generate what some perceive as religious experiences in a repeatable, verifiable, and quantitative manner; as well as the evolutionary origins of this part of the brain.

Of course, no one has managed to demonstrate that there are stimuli from non-physical sources that affect these neurons, but if you have scientific evidence of such, I'd be willing to look at it.
How cool. I was unaware such research existed.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #274 on: February 22, 2010, 11:08:01 PM »

How cool. I was unaware such research existed.

If you have the chance, you should look into some of the writings by Dr. David J. Linden.  Though only a few pieces tend to relate to religion/faith and the brain, he does a lot of work on the evolution of the brain and how its past affects us even now.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2010, 09:25:05 PM »

None of it affects how cells divide, none of it affects how gravity attracts objects, none of it affects electro-magnetic currents, none of it affects the computational mechanics of a neural network, it's just not real.

But, since Philosophy does affect those who can destroy the dividing cells, those who manipulate electro-magnetic currents, and those who steer and utilize the computational mechanics of a neural network, it is quite real.

-----------------------------------------------

As an aside, I finally saw the movie.  I'm not a fan of the style, certainly.  But if even 1 thing claimed is true (with regards to the persecution of non-religious ID talk, especially), then it is a shame on science, which should be focused merely on gathering the evidence and having the debate, and not on how people react to the evidence & debate (which should be left to the Philosophers and Sociologists). 

If someone wants to propose a flat earth (& has "evidence" to support it) and debate those who have evidence to the contrary, science should facilitate the debate with no interest in the outcome, even if the outcome is patently predictable.  If science denies the ability to question even the most thoroughly entrenched, proven, accepted laws, it ceases being science and should be moved to the Philosophy department.  If the movie is 100% false on all fronts, then science has nothing to fear, and people should cease with the vitriol.

I do agree that only peer-reviewed research should be presented in schools, especially everything below Graduate and Post-Grad level studies.  If ID gets to that level, then so be it.  If not, then so be it.  I personally think ID is the only way to explain the heretofore unexplained, but I'm also fairly confident that my assertion cannot be proven scientifically, and will only be justified in The Kingdom, not in the laboratory or classroom.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« Reply #276 on: April 07, 2010, 09:01:59 PM »

If we all operate according to a neural network (computer) with initial boundaries established by genetic predispositions, then how can we speak of "cop-out," "wish" and "unwilling"--words that denote volition?  From your post, I perceive that you begin with a rather deterministic scheme and then go on to fault those who do not pursue scientific study of the brain.  I do not see the logic behind this.  Not everyone, even amongst the brightest, is networked to become a neuroscientist.  Our genetic predispositions and neural networks are not identical, nor are our experiences the same.  It is to be expected, even from a determinist standpoint, that not everyone find "truth" the same way. 

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:05:03 PM by StGeorge » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #277 on: December 19, 2010, 10:25:39 PM »

None of it affects how cells divide, none of it affects how gravity attracts objects, none of it affects electro-magnetic currents, none of it affects the computational mechanics of a neural network, it's just not real.

But, since Philosophy does affect those who can destroy the dividing cells, those who manipulate electro-magnetic currents, and those who steer and utilize the computational mechanics of a neural network, it is quite real.

-----------------------------------------------
The observer effect strikes again. Greeki doesn't like those pesky humans getting in the way of "pure" knowledge.

As an aside, I finally saw the movie.  I'm not a fan of the style, certainly.  But if even 1 thing claimed is true (with regards to the persecution of non-religious ID talk, especially), then it is a shame on science, which should be focused merely on gathering the evidence and having the debate, and not on how people react to the evidence & debate (which should be left to the Philosophers and Sociologists).

Why can't people act more like lab rats? LOL.

If someone wants to propose a flat earth (& has "evidence" to support it) and debate those who have evidence to the contrary, science should facilitate the debate with no interest in the outcome, even if the outcome is patently predictable.  If science denies the ability to question even the most thoroughly entrenched, proven, accepted laws, it ceases being science and should be moved to the Philosophy department.  If the movie is 100% false on all fronts, then science has nothing to fear, and people should cease with the vitriol.

I do agree that only peer-reviewed research should be presented in schools, especially everything below Graduate and Post-Grad level studies.  If ID gets to that level, then so be it.  If not, then so be it.  I personally think ID is the only way to explain the heretofore unexplained, but I'm also fairly confident that my assertion cannot be proven scientifically, and will only be justified in The Kingdom, not in the laboratory or classroom.
Oh, I think the Climategate emails have vindicated your positions, Father, this side of the Kingdom.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #278 on: December 19, 2010, 10:42:21 PM »

If we all operate according to a neural network (computer) with initial boundaries established by genetic predispositions, then how can we speak of "cop-out," "wish" and "unwilling"--words that denote volition?  From your post, I perceive that you begin with a rather deterministic scheme and then go on to fault those who do not pursue scientific study of the brain.  I do not see the logic behind this.  Not everyone, even amongst the brightest, is networked to become a neuroscientist.  Our genetic predispositions and neural networks are not identical, nor are our experiences the same.  It is to be expected, even from a determinist standpoint, that not everyone find "truth" the same way.     
Don't confuse him with the facts.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #279 on: November 17, 2011, 10:08:27 AM »

This video from AAAS, the non-profit science society, explains why religion and science need not be in opposition. It is a response to the intelligent design propaganda movie, "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed," with Ben Stein. AAAS also released a written statement. See http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2008/0418expelled.shtml. For more on how AAAS works to promote constructive dialogue between religious and scientific leaders, see http://www.aaas.org/evolution.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #280 on: November 17, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »

This video from AAAS, the non-profit science society, explains why religion and science need not be in opposition. It is a response to the intelligent design propaganda movie, "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed," with Ben Stein. AAAS also released a written statement. See http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2008/0418expelled.shtml. For more on how AAAS works to promote constructive dialogue between religious and scientific leaders, see http://www.aaas.org/evolution.

"Different domains! Science ONLY has to do with the natural world" More cluelessness from the dualist/ God-of-the-gaps camp

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #281 on: November 17, 2011, 10:48:48 PM »

"Different domains! Science ONLY has to do with the natural world" More cluelessness from the dualist/ God-of-the-gaps camp
Who was the person who said that?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: