PMR - Choir Music, Techniques, and Resources

(1/6) > >>

Fr. George:
See: "An experiment - Parish Ministry Resource threads" for more info - http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15087.0.html

For all you Choir-types, here's your thread - to trade ideas, music notes, thoughts on how to boost attendance or get a younger crowd involved, websites or newsletters with resources, etc.  Have fun!

Bono Vox:
I would like to learn more about using the Ison. Most of us who post on here from St. Thomas are in the choir. We use primarily Russian music, but I would like to see more byzantine music blended in our liturgy; it just resonates with my soul.

Does anyone have any tips on incorporating an Ison in chanting?

GabrieltheCelt:
^^I agree.  I sing with OB and most of the other St. Thomas posters and I really like Russian style, but for me the Byzantine (Greek/Arabic) style is really beautiful and ethereal.

Fr. George:
Quote from: Orthodox Bagpiper on March 18, 2008, 09:15:05 PM

I would like to learn more about using the Ison. Most of us who post on here from St. Thomas are in the choir. We use primarily Russian music, but I would like to see more byzantine music blended in our liturgy; it just resonates with my soul.

Does anyone have any tips on incorporating an Ison in chanting?

The Ison's use depends heavily on the mode/tone your are chanting in.  For example, if you are chanting a piece in 1st tone, you could (and probably should) only chant the Ison on "Pa" (if the scale of 1st tone is {on the piano} D to D all white notes, then "Pa" is D).  However, if you're chanting in real 4th tone (because sometimes 4th isn't 4th, trust me) then your Ison could be on Di, Vou, or Pa (if the scale is C to C all white notes then Pa is D, Vou is E, and Di is G) depending on where the melody is and what it's doing.  What's safe is to use the base notes of the tone in question - 1st tone is Pa, 2nd is Di, 3rd is Ga, 4th is Di or Vou, Plagal 1st / 5th is Pa or Ke, Plagal 2nd / 6th is Pa, Grave / Varys / Plagal 3rd / 7th is Ga, and Plagal 4th / 8th is Ni.  Again, if you're using the white keys on the piano, then Ni = C, Pa = D, Vou = E, Ga = F, Di = G, Ke = A.

Elisha:
You know, I appreciate the gesture, but one really ought to go to the yahoo group monitored by the PSALM group for this (www.orthodoxpsalm.org).  I lot of noted people hang out there like Mark Bailey, Vlad Morosan, Fr. Ivan Moody and others (kelfar from here posts there sometimes too).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page