Author Topic: Pews and the Organ  (Read 38517 times)

Offline antiderivative

• Elder
Pews and the Organ
« on: March 18, 2008, 04:10:02 PM »
Why do so many Orthodox churches in America have pews and an organ. Maybe not as many have an organ, but many have pews. I understand that people sometimes have to sit during the service, but does everyone in the church have to have a pew? If you go to places like Greece or Russia, many churches never have a place to sit, but they still get on fine. Also when there are pews, how can you prostrate without bumping your head?

My old Orthodox Church had an organ, and did a Byzantine liturgy. Sorry, but an organ and a Byzantine liturgy? I know the church has more to worry about than having organs, but in Orthodox tradition their are usually no instruments in the service; not to mention the fact it sounds terrible!
signature

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Pews and the Organ
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 04:46:34 PM »
You may find some helpful info in this thread:

"Organs in Greek Orthodox Churches"
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,3224.0.html

"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Nyssa The Hobbit

• Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
  • Elder
    • Who is this Nyssa person, anyway?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:34:36 AM »
I may still be young, but I like being able to sit down a few times during those long services.  I just don't have iron legs yet.   :P
Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 01:07:44 AM »
Both subjects of pews and the organ have been discussed quite a few times on this forum, so, rather than start yet another new thread about them, I suggest you read the existing threads on these topics and offer your comments there.

On Pews in the Orthodox Church

Cleveland already offered a link to a good thread on organs in the Orthodox Church, so I'll just add my encouragement to go and visit that thread.

Not all who wander are lost.

Offline antiderivative

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 01:59:40 PM »
Sorry, but I did search the forum and never found anything.
signature