OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:29:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An experiment - Parish Ministry Resources (PMR) threads  (Read 4396 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: March 18, 2008, 03:56:57 PM »

As you may or may not have noticed, I floated around the idea of having a section (either a board with sub-boards as one user suggested, or just a sub-board) where we could compile and discuss resources, projects, plans, and ideas for Parish Ministry.  The response within the thread was good.  For those who missed it, here is the thread:

"How many people are active in their parish's ministry?"
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14855.0.html

In order to ascertain what kind of section OC.net will have for this kind of material, the best was to start is by just starting threads on the relevant subject matters.  All the threads will be in the "Other Topics" section, and will have "PMR" (for Parish Ministry Resources) in the title, to be clearly delineated as these threads.  As various sub-discussions start, I'll split off the relevant sections and create new threads for them.

If the threads are extremely popular, with many daughter threads and related material, then maybe we'll start a board; if they're mildly popular, maybe a sub-board; or, if they're only minimally used, then they'll remain threads. We'll see.

1st thread - PMR - Youth Ministry Ideas: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15089.0.html

2nd thread - PMR - Choir Music, Techniques, and Resources: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15091.0.html

3rd thread - PMR - Evangelism, Catecumenate, and Parish Growth: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15131.0.html

4th thread - PMR - OCF and Young Adult Ministry: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15132.0.html

5th thread - PMR - Chanter's Resources (separate from Choir/Choral): http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15133.0.html

6th thread - PMR - Mission Parishes: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,33788.0.html
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:25:13 AM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 06:37:12 PM »

Since I'm very interested in seeing this succeed (if people want it to succeed), let's collect some input:

What other threads should we have for such resources?  Stewardship?  Membership?  Outreach?  Let me know, and we'll get them started.

Are the threads that have been started thus far useful, or should their focus be changed?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 07:48:14 PM »

Cleveland - would evangelism and parish growth be considered under outreach?  Those are the 2 burning issues I'm most interested in.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 08:55:57 PM »

What about OCF kids??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:01:08 PM »

Can we include chanter resources separately from choral techniques, performance, etc?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:02:08 PM by scamandrius » Logged

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 09:15:15 PM »

I can and will create those threads.  I'll post the links at the top of this thread once done.

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 03:06:24 PM »

I've given all the threads in this topic a bump, so give another try to this theory.  However, instead of creating a new Board or Sub-board, these threads may provide a great starting point for the content section of this site.

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:29:37 PM »

It's been nearly two years, and the interest level hasn't been all that high for these sections.  Maybe now that the site has had further growth they may be more useful.  Check out the OP above for more info!

---------------------
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 03:38:50 AM »

What about a thread for starting new mission parishes?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 09:20:05 AM »

What about a thread for starting new mission parishes?

That would be a fascinating discussion since many here have had to participate in exactly such an exercise.

---------------------
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »

Since I'm very interested in seeing this succeed (if people want it to succeed), let's collect some input:

What other threads should we have for such resources?  Stewardship?  Membership?  Outreach?  Let me know, and we'll get them started.

Are the threads that have been started thus far useful, or should their focus be changed?

I think there should be a section for grief ministry as well as ministry to shut-ins, elderly and the dying (and their families).  I know it isn't nearly as hip as evangelism or young adult ministries but these people are our heritage.  I would love to see some kind of active Hospice and/or Elder-care ministry coming from the Orthodox.  I just wish I had the medical/social svcs background to help get one going in my area.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: