OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:32:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Similarities, differences, and compatibility of EC and EO  (Read 8147 times) Average Rating: 0
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 02:54:21 PM »

Which is why it is probably a bad pastoral decision to intercommune with the Eastern Orthodox.

It doesn't matter WHAT the Roman Catholic Church or any of the Rites within it think about inter-communion.
For one, the Eastern Orthodox CATHOLIC bishops prohibit inter-communion.   
This post has turned into a CAF type thread where the Roman Catholics, and I don't care what rite they belong to, have just shelled out nothing but the typical;

-We're the only church on the planet everyone bows to the Pope
-Canon quotes abound
-the talk of "traditional catholics"  look, I don't think you understand that the Church is to be one and these little tag names separate the members into different groups.  What the heck is a traditional Catholic anyway,
Oh, yeah as evidenced by this whole ridiculous thread it is just another example that Roman Catholics can pick and choose what they want to believe and what they want to call themselves and who they will share communion with this week.  Bad news, traditional catholics sound just like the cafeteria catholics they complain about and judge.

-Still no one gets the point that the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church is a Church.  We have been around since day one.  The conversation keeps going in the direction of, well we decided at some point that they were a church so we'll give them communion oh and they're like us too.

-Still the fight is raging here on this thread among Roman Catholics of the Latin and Byzantine Rites.  You don't see any Eastern Orthodox Catholics arguing on this thread among themselves, why? I can give you the answer but hey, it won't matter anyway. 

-I still love the traditional Catholic tag, it's my favorite.  Can I be a traditional tea loving pre-council of lyons Catholic?  Sure I could that would be adding to the diversity right?

But I'm still told "this isn't the Roman Catholic praxis, or teaching on this or that"  I know the Roman Catholic teaching, the standard stuff you are to believe whether you are Byzantine rite or Chaldean rite. 

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 03:00:12 PM by username! » Logged

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2008, 03:04:11 PM »

We often use the term traditional Catholic as a synonym for orthodox Catholic. Sorry if that bothers you. As for picking and choosing, I see EO Christians do this all the time. Some think mary was a sinner; some do not. Some think abortion is ok; some do not. Some think ecumenism is heresy; some do not. Some believe in the Atonement; some do not. Some believe the Ecumenical Patriarch is an EO christian; some do not. Some think statues are heretical; some do not. Some think contraception is completely ok; somethink its a sin. Etc, ad infinitum.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 03:07:28 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2008, 03:06:57 PM »

We often use the term traditional Catholic as a synonym for orthodox Catholic. Sorry if that bothers you.

And you just missed the entire point of username!'s post.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the sentiment he expressed re: the argument among Catholics.  If this is what the posts were like over at CAF, I'm glad I never went over there.  I expect disagreement, even heated at times, amongst myself and my Orthodox brethren here, but this takes the cake.

This is the end of my participation in this thread.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »

And you just missed the entire point of username!'s post.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the sentiment he expressed re: the argument among Catholics.  If this is what the posts were like over at CAF, I'm glad I never went over there.  I expect disagreement, even heated at times, amongst myself and my Orthodox brethren here, but this takes the cake.

Well, disagree with me if you want. I just read the text of the union of brest and there is nothing in there that allows Eastern Catholics to deviate from Catholic teaching.

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 03:19:27 PM »

That is unfortunate.  I was hoping to learn something of substance from this thread.  I pegged your posts as among the more balanced.  I hope you will reconsider.  Or, at least, I hope you will suggest a few good introductory resources so that I may continue on my own.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 03:46:15 PM »

That is unfortunate.  I was hoping to learn something of substance from this thread.  I pegged your posts as among the more balanced.  I hope you will reconsider.  Or, at least, I hope you will suggest a few good introductory resources so that I may continue on my own.
I'm not sure what the exact question is here.
The fact is that there are similarities and there are differences between EO and EC, just as there are similarities and differences between RC and Western rite Orthodox. When all is said and done, when you are in an EC Church, although the liturgy and many of the spiritual practices are similar to those of the EO Church, still you are in a Catholic Church that recognises the supremacy of the Pope. When you are in a Western rite Orthodox Church, although the liturgy and some of the practices may be similar to those of the Western RC Church, still you are in a EO Church that does not recognise the supremacy of the Pope.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »

^^ Very true.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2008, 03:53:16 PM »

It doesn't matter WHAT the Roman Catholic Church or any of the Rites within it think about inter-communion.
For one, the Eastern Orthodox CATHOLIC bishops prohibit inter-communion.   
This post has turned into a CAF type thread where the Roman Catholics, and I don't care what rite they belong to, have just shelled out nothing but the typical;

-We're the only church on the planet everyone bows to the Pope
-Canon quotes abound
-the talk of "traditional catholics"  look, I don't think you understand that the Church is to be one and these little tag names separate the members into different groups.  What the heck is a traditional Catholic anyway,
Oh, yeah as evidenced by this whole ridiculous thread it is just another example that Roman Catholics can pick and choose what they want to believe and what they want to call themselves and who they will share communion with this week.  Bad news, traditional catholics sound just like the cafeteria catholics they complain about and judge.

-Still no one gets the point that the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church is a Church.  We have been around since day one.  The conversation keeps going in the direction of, well we decided at some point that they were a church so we'll give them communion oh and they're like us too.

-Still the fight is raging here on this thread among Roman Catholics of the Latin and Byzantine Rites.  You don't see any Eastern Orthodox Catholics arguing on this thread among themselves, why? I can give you the answer but hey, it won't matter anyway. 

-I still love the traditional Catholic tag, it's my favorite.  Can I be a traditional tea loving pre-council of lyons Catholic?  Sure I could that would be adding to the diversity right?

But I'm still told "this isn't the Roman Catholic praxis, or teaching on this or that"  I know the Roman Catholic teaching, the standard stuff you are to believe whether you are Byzantine rite or Chaldean rite. 

Sorry, username!, I already used up all my troll food on Papist.
-Peter.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2008, 04:02:08 PM »

Sorry, username!, I already used up all my troll food on Papist.
-Peter.
Aww. We don't eats nasty troll food. It burns. It freezes.
Look man, just because I will not stop professing the Catholic Position, that does not make me a troll. Its funny. Whenever anyone is in the minority position on a forum, they are accused of being a troll. Such ad hominem attacks are unbecoming.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2008, 04:03:32 PM »

When all is said and done, when you are in an EC Church, although the liturgy and many of the spiritual practices are similar to those of the EO Church, still you are in a Catholic Church that recognises the supremacy of the Pope. When you are in a Western rite Orthodox Church, although the liturgy and some of the practices may be similar to those of the Western RC Church, still you are in a EO Church that does not recognise the supremacy of the Pope.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
-Peter.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2008, 04:07:56 PM »

Look man, just because I will not stop professing the Catholic Position, that does not make me a troll.

It's statements like that which show that you're a troll.

Its funny.

I think it just sad.

Blessings,
Peter.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2008, 04:15:51 PM »

It's statements like that which show that you're a troll.

I think it just sad.

Blessings,
Peter.
And its down right pathetic that because I agree with the Church you call me a troll. Its dishonest way to deal with some one you disagree with.

I think its sad.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2008, 04:35:29 PM »

Temporary cool-down period - I'm locking this thread for one week.  It will be reopened next Wednesday. - Cleveland, Global Moderator

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: