OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:08:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latin Help Please / Does this work of St. Chrysostom exist or not?  (Read 902 times) Average Rating: 0
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« on: March 18, 2008, 08:55:22 AM »

Peace be with all readers.

Could somebody please tell me what the Latin phrase "Monitum in Hom. de Natal. Christi" means in English please?

The only places I can find any reference to this work are those who quote Hislop's (in-)famous use of it in his work The Two Babylons which several of us ex-Protestants ought to be familiar with.

Does this work attributed to St. John Chrysostom actually exist?
{I have some reason to believe that it does as I read the fuller quote on an Old Catholic website quite some while ago. (That site no longer seems to be working. The fuller quote shows how the saint praised and thanked the faithful of Rome whereas Hislop would have us believe they imposed some novel belief upon the Christians of Antioch.)}

Is anyone able to inform me please as to where I may obtain a complete copy of this work (or a complete copy of what remains of it)?
Of course one in English would be nice however even if it is in Latin that will do.

As best as I can tell, this work is different to the saint's Homily on the Nativity of the Lord as the information they contain appear to be radically different. However being unable to interpret the Latin, I honestly can't tell.

Assistance would be appreciated and by the grace of God may I someday locate this work to examine it for myself.

Thank you and pray for me please.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:15:31 AM »

Peace be with all readers.

Could somebody please tell me what the Latin phrase "Monitum in Hom. de Natal. Christi" means in English please?

The only places I can find any reference to this work are those who quote Hislop's (in-)famous use of it in his work The Two Babylons which several of us ex-Protestants ought to be familiar with.

{I have some reason to believe that it does as I read the fuller quote on an Old Catholic website quite some while ago. (That site no longer seems to be working. The fuller quote shows how the saint praised and thanked the faithful of Rome whereas Hislop would have us believe they imposed some novel belief upon the Christians of Antioch.)}

Is anyone able to inform me please as to where I may obtain a complete copy of this work (or a complete copy of what remains of it)?
Of course one in English would be nice however even if it is in Latin that will do.

As best as I can tell, this work is different to the saint's Homily on the Nativity of the Lord as the information they contain appear to be radically different. However being unable to interpret the Latin, I honestly can't tell.

Assistance would be appreciated and by the grace of God may I someday locate this work to examine it for myself.

Thank you and pray for me please.

It means "warning on the homily on the birthdate of Christ." but the subject matter it is quoting is from, I believe, St. John's homily on St. Philogonius, P.L. 48, 747-756.  The Latin title might be Gieseler's work.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:20:18 AM »

Can't remember the title of Chrysostom's sermon on this matter, but he certainly did write one that discusses the Eastern adoption of the Roman celebration of Christmas. And, yes, he did praise Rome and the feast.

You should be able to find copious information on this -- and all related documents -- in Talley's The Origins of the Liturgical Year . You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/Origins-Liturgical-Year-Pueblo-Books/dp/0814660754
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 11:33:55 AM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 03:59:20 AM »

Thank you for the information and support you provided!

Hope to look up more on this and see what may be found.

Can't access the JSTOR article of the homily on St. Philogonius. Is it available anywhere else?

Have put the Amazon book in my basket but it's already rather full so hope for later.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Tags: Saint Chrysostom  Hislop  Latin  Christmas 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: