OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 06:57:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Coptic Liturgies Sang in Coptic or Arabic?  (Read 2467 times) Average Rating: 0
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« on: March 17, 2008, 09:54:20 PM »

Are Coptic Liturgies Sang in Coptic or Arabic?

Man I like them.  Some of it reminds of my sufi days.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:36:16 PM »

I've heard the Coptic liturgy sung in Coptic, Arabic and in English.  Sometimes they will mix the languages in the same liturgy.

Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 02:32:09 PM »

It depends on the parish.  The church I go to, St Mary Coptic Orthodox Church in Kitchener Ontario, prays the liturgy mostly in English with the hymns in English, Greek, Coptic and Arabic.

Sometimes we have Arabic masses as well, but there are still Greek and Coptic hymns.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 02:59:41 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Marc!

Marc Hanna
Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 03:05:08 PM »

Thank you very much.  I would have joined long ago had I known it was here.
marmina

Faith: coptic orthodox

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »

coptic hymns reflect the origin of the coptic church in alexandria in that days people spoke greek and egyptian language known latter as coptic so hymns are bilingual cptic and old greek in the same hymn the majority of church hymns are sang in its original form because it cant be chanted in arabic but liturgy here in egypt are done in arabic except in monasteries and there's one church in egypt where the liturgy must be in coptic  the church of saint mary in deir el mukarrak [monastery of el muharrak in assiut] nowadays the church hymns remain the last remainig thing from the coptic lunguage
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »

You'll often find the Liturgy chanted with a mix of Coptic, Arabic, and the language of the place (e.g. French when in France, English when in the U.S. etc.). Some priests even switch between languages within the same paragraph. In some parishes you'll find that they dedicate entire Liturgies, on a regular basis, to being chanted in the language of the place so as to permit the younger generation to follow easier, but even then you're bound to hear some hymns chanted in Coptic.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Marc Hanna
Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 01:20:59 PM »

St Maurice and St Verena Church in Toronto, Ontario does almost exclusively English.  It's nice understanding the whole liturgy without following along in a book, but I must admit it is strange hearing the Trisagion in English.
Tags: liturgical languages Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: