OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 05:36:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frequent Confession Question  (Read 1226 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: March 13, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »

I go to an Orthodox church where the entire congregation receives the Eucharist on a weekly basis.  This was the same thing when I attended many Roman Catholic churches, and so I am familiar with the  arguments for frequent communion, etc.  However, when I went to RCC churches, I began the practice of not receiving communion unless I had been to confession first.  I made it a rule to go to confession once a month. 

I'm still used to going to confession before receiving Eucharist, but I understand that in Orthodox tradition (as in RCC tradition) one should not receive before first going to confession.  It often happens that I cannot make weekly confession, and so I'm wondering: should I not go up with everyone else when it comes time for  confession; or, should I go up, not stick out or appear proud or separate from the common unity that everyone else is expressing by partaking in the Eucharist, but yet risk drinking condemnation on myself?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 03:56:53 PM by StGeorge » Logged
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 03:57:08 PM »

The various jurisdictions have variant rules about this. You should discuss this matter with your pastor for the rules and practices of your parish and jurisdiction.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
awbrollini
Reader, Knight

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 06:47:49 AM »

You can go up with everyone else and when you get to the chalice ask for a blessing instead of partaking in communion.

Hope that helps.

Rdr. Anthony

Anthony
Reader
Knight, The Order of St. Ignatius of Antioch
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 06:51:13 AM »

I go to an Orthodox church where the entire congregation receives the Eucharist on a weekly basis.  This was the same thing when I attended many Roman Catholic churches, and so I am familiar with the  arguments for frequent communion, etc.  However, when I went to RCC churches, I began the practice of not receiving communion unless I had been to confession first.  I made it a rule to go to confession once a month. 

I'm still used to going to confession before receiving Eucharist, but I understand that in Orthodox tradition (as in RCC tradition) one should not receive before first going to confession.  It often happens that I cannot make weekly confession, and so I'm wondering: should I not go up with everyone else when it comes time for  confession; or, should I go up, not stick out or appear proud or separate from the common unity that everyone else is expressing by partaking in the Eucharist, but yet risk drinking condemnation on myself?  Thanks. 

One cannot emphasize enough the point that Thomas makes - you should definitely speak with the priest about this issue.  If it's important enough (it really is) that is may affect your path to salvation, then it's important enough for you to speak with the priest.

You can go up with everyone else and when you get to the chalice ask for a blessing instead of partaking in communion.

Hope that helps. 

Anthony also brings up a good point that is often forgotten.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:32:26 AM »

Hope that helps.

Rdr. Anthony

Brother...
My mother when she was alive ,,,every suday at the serbian church after liturgy she would have the priest bless her with every piece of his liturgical vestments he takes off after the holy liturgy...have you heard of this practice in any of the other orthodox churches,,,,,just curious about it ....or is it  just in the serbian church......stasko/stanislav
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 07:34:10 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
awbrollini
Reader, Knight

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:42:10 AM »

Brother...
My mother when she was alive ,,,every suday at the serbian church after liturgy she would have the priest bless her with every piece of his liturgical vestments he takes off after the holy liturgy...have you heard of this practice in any of the other orthodox churches,,,,,just curious about it ....or is it  just in the serbian church......stasko/stanislav

Personally, I have never seen this done in the Antiochain jurisdiction and am unaware of any other jurisdiction.

Anthony
Reader
Knight, The Order of St. Ignatius of Antioch
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: