OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 08:33:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Lenten sacred music  (Read 2772 times) Average Rating: 0
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« on: March 12, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »

What are some of your favorite pieces of sacred music for Lent (can be liturgical or extra-liturgical, chants, hymns, etc.)? Links to examples (youtube, mp3, etc.) would be helpful!

Here are two of mine:

Attende Domine

Ancient Mozarabic hymn from the 10th century. It's been our closing hymn at Mass the last couple Sundays.

Lyrics (with English translation) here: http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Confessio/Attende.html

Listen to it here (just click): http://www.laus.or.kr/Music/gregorianus/%C3%B5%BB%E7%B9%CC%BB%E7%B0%EE/13%20Attende%20Domine.mp3

Allegri's Miserere (based on Psalm 50/51).

This one makes me very weepy both because of its stunning beauty and because of the penitential lyrics.

Lyrics (with English translation) here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miserere_(Allegri)#Text

Listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x71jgMx0Mxc

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 01:45:50 PM »

At Great Compline, we chant the hymn "Lord of Hosts" whose text is:

Lord of Hosts, be with us, for we have none other help in times of sorrow but thee.   O Lord of Hosts, have mercy upon us.

The verses are supplied from Psalm 150.  This is a Greek recording in the Plagal of Tone 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nJllw0kTz4

But honestly, what greater hymn is there other than St. Andrew of Crete's Great Canon.  Sure, it's long, but what a great trek through the Scriptures!

http://www.orthodox.net/greatlent/great-canon-fifth-week.pdf

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
JAWS_Thomas

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA-DOW

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 02:22:09 PM »

Personally I love "Thy Bridal Chamber" the exapostilarion at Matins on Holy Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Unfortunately the only version I could find similar to ours was a midi version so I think I will just leave that where I found it.

"If you're an alien why do you sound like you're from the North?"
"Lots of planets have a north."

-Rose Tyler asking Doctor Who about his accent
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »

Favorite of Lent?  Since lent doesn't include Holy Week, I'll answer twice:

The long prokimenon of Cheesfare Sunday evening vespers (it's chanted long in the Greek tradition on the Sunday evenings at Contrition vespers).

For Holy Week: The Glory, Both Now hymn of the Aposticha of Holy Friday Vespers (also called the Un-nailing service).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 04:22:20 PM »

The hymn in Presanctified Liturgy when we bring the gifts out. I like the line that says "Now the King of Glory enters fulfilled." The somber attitude and the pageantry that goes along with it I find beautiful.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 04:25:06 PM »

The hymn in Presanctified Liturgy when we bring the gifts out. I like the line that says "Now the King of Glory enters fulfilled." The somber attitude and the pageantry that goes along with it I find beautiful.

That's the Great Entrance hymn "Now the Powers..." which replaces the Cherubikon for the Presanct.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 04:31:06 PM »

Thank you. I couldn't remember its name. It is a beautiful hymn.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 11:09:33 PM »

I got to sing this hymn tonight in a very traditional and somber plagal of the fourth tone.  How majestic and how much it made me realize that Christ and His angels were truly there with us!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 11:18:18 PM »

Having Suffered/ Preterp'ivyj which is sang after the conclusion of Pre-Sanctified Liturgy in those parishes of Carpathian mountain descent (Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church, ACROD, I'm not sure about the Ukrainian Orthodox parishes).

I like our tradition of chanting the psalms antiphonally ( the whole congregation chants them) during Pre-Sanctified.  Most of our services are always sang by the entire congregation in Carpathian Plain-Chant/prostopinije.  Many if not most sing from pure memory, if not everyone has the music right there with them.  It is uplifting and wonderful to hear everyone singing as one.

Having Suffered lyrics, they are simple, but the melody is beautiful and you sing it three times and prostrate between each time you sing it:

in Latinica/Slavonic
Preter'pivyj za nas strasti, Isuse Christe, Syne Bozij, pomiluj nas, pomiluj, pomiluj nas

Having Suffered the passion for us, Jesus Christ, Son of God have mercy , have mercy, have mercy on us. 
It's simple but you should hear the music for it, it's pretty.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:23:53 PM by username! » Logged

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 12:05:17 AM »

I love the setting, based on the Byzantine system of chant, of the Great Prokeimenon ("Let my prayer arise...") of the Presanctified Liturgy that my parish uses.  Sorry I can't post a link to a recorded singing of this hymn.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:06:50 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 12:45:31 AM »

I got to sing this hymn tonight in a very traditional and somber plagal of the fourth tone.  How majestic and how much it made me realize that Christ and His angels were truly there with us!

By the way (another shameless plug for album of mine), we sang this earlier tonight:
http://anaphorapress.com/music/music/cherubika-playlist/ (Track 9)
Tags: Lent music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: