OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:32:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is It Necessary to Cross-Post Whole Articles from ocanews.org (and other web sites)?  (Read 7181 times) Average Rating: 0
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« on: March 07, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »

Okay, honestly, is it really necessary to cross-post every single article from Stokoe's website over here, especially the ones that tell us there's no new news?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Cowboy

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:20:34 PM »

The fact that there's no new news, speaks VOLUMES.

Cowboy
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:26:05 PM »

The fact that there's no new news, speaks VOLUMES.

Cowboy

So is it really necessary to cross-post every single article from the site over here?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 12:38:18 PM »

I'm agreeing with Veniamin on this one. I feel that the link would suffice. Especially since I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of us who are interested in the results are checking ocanews.org anyway. The cross posting gets kind of annoying after a while.

Just my 2 cents.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:31:31 PM »

So is it really necessary to cross-post every single article from the site over here?

I'm agreeing with Veniamin on this one. I feel that the link would suffice. Especially since I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of us who are interested in the results are checking ocanews.org anyway. The cross posting gets kind of annoying after a while.

Just my 2 cents.

-Nick

I must correct you Veniamin, I haven't crossed posted every single article from Matt Stoke. Secondly, it is relevant to the topic at hand. If you gentlemen don't like it, then simply don't read it. It's as simple as that.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:48:13 PM »

I must correct you Veniamin, I haven't crossed posted every single article from Matt Stoke. Secondly, it is relevant to the topic at hand. If you gentlemen don't like it, then simply don't read it. It's as simple as that.

Whatever.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:37:54 PM »

Whatever.

Wink

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 01:11:03 AM »

I'm reading the thread for the useful comments from other posters, your posts are so long that they make it annoying to see the other posts.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 01:25:10 AM »

I'm reading the thread for the useful comments from other posters, your posts are so long that they make it annoying to see the other posts.

I appreciate your gracious posts. Very loving.   Wink
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:30:49 AM by Orthodox Bagpiper » Logged

Troparion - Tone 1:
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:41:56 AM »

Once again, the name is Mark Stokoe, NOT Matt Stoke. Wink
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:42:35 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 02:05:33 AM »

My Esteemed Fellow OC.net Associates,

Cross-posting is merited, if fact, as of earlier Friday evening, the post from the Orthodox Church in America's web site is most informative.  For a change, Orthodox Christians for Accountability News' web site was repetitive, the detail having been explicitly and appropriately published on OCA.org.

Nikolai was asked to take leave while an investigation is conducted on behalf of the Holy Synod; Nikolai, of course, took issue with the request based on his interpretation of canonical grounds; he further claimed to be sending copies of his response to the Synod to the Ecumenical Patriarch and the Patriarch of Moscow; Metropolitan Herman, on behalf of the Synod, suspended him; and ordered him to vacate the territory of the Alaskan Diocese; although unstated, Met. Herman became the temporary overseer of the diocese, on behalf of the Synod, and named Fr. Eugene Vansuch as the temporary administrator to act on behalf of Met. Herman in all diocesan administrative matters.

Not-with-standing all the failures of this Synod over the past several years, they truly acted appropriately and with all due diligence in this matter, since the blessed clergy and some of the laity, publically came forward with long overdue complaints.

May God continue to bless the OCA's Synod and guide them in their apparent diligent efforts to fulfill their responsibilities and rectify the episcopal leadership problems in the first diocese of North America.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 02:11:14 AM by BTRAKAS » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 06:26:28 AM »

I appreciate your gracious posts. Very loving.   Wink

To quote Andy Dufrain, "You're being obtuse."  Cut it out and please just post links.  We are adults and can click on them.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 10:05:55 AM »

To quote Andy Dufrain, "You're being obtuse."  Cut it out and please just post links.  We are adults and can click on them.

Like I said, if you don't like reading the full text, then don't read them. No one is forcing you to read them. You can either scroll through the text or put me on your ignore list and you wont have to see my posts at all. If I feel the text is appropriate to the discussion at hand, then I will post it. While you may check OCA news all the time, others may not; moreover, others may simply want to skim through the text and may not be interested following the link and reading the whole thing.

On another note, I would suggest you stop the name calling. Remember we are all Orthodox Christians here and we are about to begin lent.

Troparion - Tone 1:
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 10:07:22 AM »

On another note, I would suggest you stop the name calling. Remember we are all Orthodox Christians here and we are about to begin lent.

I believe you forgot your [/sanctimonius] tag. Roll Eyes

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 10:08:14 AM »

Once again, the name is Mark Stokoe, NOT Matt Stoke. Wink

Mark, Matt...same thing right?  Cheesy

Troparion - Tone 1:
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »

I believe you forgot your [/sanctimonius] tag. Roll Eyes

I'm just calling it as it is.  police

Troparion - Tone 1:
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 10:12:31 AM »

I'm just calling it as it is.  police

Yeah, well, until you stop calling talk show hosts names, you have no right to tell others to stop the name calling.  Of course, you can always just subscribe to the coward's view and argue that since they're not here to defend themselves, it's okay. Wink

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 10:40:50 AM »

Yeah, well, until you stop calling talk show hosts names, you have no right to tell others to stop the name calling.  Of course, you can always just subscribe to the coward's view and argue that since they're not here to defend themselves, it's okay. Wink

I don't call others on the board names, and I affectionately call Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hanity, Hush Bimbo and Pawn Vanity. Its not quite the same thing. I don't engage in conversations where there is name calling going on back and fourth. It is pointless.

Troparion - Tone 1:
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 12:58:50 PM »

I don't call others on the board names, and I affectionately call Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hanity, Hush Bimbo and Pawn Vanity. Its not quite the same thing. I don't engage in conversations where there is name calling going on back and fourth. It is pointless.

Right, the difference is because when you do it, it's okay.  Do as I say, not as I do and all that. Roll Eyes

observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 02:16:51 PM »

<Quote> Right, the difference is because when you do it, it's okay.  Do as I say, not as I do and all that  </quote>
Time for Telly Tubbies, Kinder.  Have a good Lent Roll Eyes

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »

Like I said, if you don't like reading the full text, then don't read them. No one is forcing you to read them. You can either scroll through the text or put me on your ignore list and you wont have to see my posts at all. If I feel the text is appropriate to the discussion at hand, then I will post it. While you may check OCA news all the time, others may not; moreover, others may simply want to skim through the text and may not be interested following the link and reading the whole thing.

OB, I totally agree with you. I don't see what the big deal is in posting the actual text. Sounds very nitpicky to me.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 03:30:13 PM »

OB, I totally agree with you. I don't see what the big deal is in posting the actual text. Sounds very nitpicky to me.
I'm personally not fond of the long cross-posts myself and find scrolling through them somewhat annoying, but as a mere poster I certainly don't have to read them and can pass over them without complaining.  I have found, however, that posting an excerpt of only two to three paragraphs and providing a link to the full article for those who want to read more is probably a better idea than posting the whole article or just the naked link.  Again, though, if it weren't for the moderatorial service I provide for this forum, I could certainly scroll past the long cross-posts.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 03:37:15 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 05:41:14 PM »

Sounds like laziness in those who don't click the link.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 07:35:01 PM »

It's called bandwidth and deliberately annoying other posters.  Besides, what credibility do you have with issues OB says - you live with him and haven't disagreed with anything on him ever.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »

It's called bandwidth and deliberately annoying other posters.  Besides, what credibility do you have with issues OB says - you live with him and haven't disagreed with anything on him ever.

I must correct you Elisha, Nacho does not live with me, he lives with Gabriel the Celt.

Nacho is right, some people are being nit picky.

Troparion - Tone 1:
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 08:11:24 PM »

I must correct you Elisha, Nacho does not live with me, he lives with Gabriel the Celt.

Nacho is right, some people are being nit picky.
But do you not at least have the responsibility to respect their concerns, even though you may disagree with them?
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 08:16:11 PM »

Right, the difference is because when you do it, it's okay.  Do as I say, not as I do and all that. Roll Eyes

The difference is I am not calling people names with whom I am having a discussion. I have referred to rush limbaugh as hush bimbo and sean hannity as pawn vanity in political discussions. I was joking about people who are national political figures in these political discussions; they are in the public eye and under scrutiny. This is a lot different than having a discussion with someone and calling them names. I think that is pretty obvious.

Anyway, with forgiveness Sunday and lent coming up, I am through arguing. Since none of our opinions really matter anyway, I could care less about continuing this argument.

Troparion - Tone 1:
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 08:20:38 PM »

But do you not at least have the responsibility to respect their concerns, even though you may disagree with them?

While I respect their concerns, I believe I adequately addressed and answered them. Some people don't care to follow a link and simply want to skim through an article. Having the article posted makes this convenient for these people. There have been many threads where I have skimmed through an article, but if a link was only present, I would not be inclined to follow the link.

Troparion - Tone 1:
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2008, 04:38:43 PM »

While I respect their concerns, I believe I adequately addressed and answered them. Some people don't care to follow a link and simply want to skim through an article. Having the article posted makes this convenient for these people. There have been many threads where I have skimmed through an article, but if a link was only present, I would not be inclined to follow the link.
What if you were to post a teaser excerpt of the article, an excerpt that provides the most important and most central points of the article that you want your readers most to see, and then post a link to the full article for those who want to read more?  I offer as an example my Reply #45 on this thread.  That way you still post enough of the article to communicate the basic message for those who don't want to follow the link, yet you don't annoy those who don't like scrolling through extremely long articles that they can read somewhere else.

Reply number on link changed to reflect recent thread split  - PtA
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 09:58:14 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Heracleides
Elder

Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Jerusalem

Kona-Kai

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2008, 06:55:22 PM »

Or better yet, you could start another thread dealing with this side issue some of you seem to have and let this thread get back to its original topic.

(Request granted with this new thread Wink  - PtA)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 11:35:08 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"And having found Heracleides there again, we instructed him to proclaim the Gospel of God..."  ~Acts of Barnabas
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 01:06:27 AM »

Okay, honestly, is it really necessary to cross-post every single article from Stokoe's website over here, especially the ones that tell us there's no new news?
Apparently some people think it is necessary:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19965.msg301319.html#msg301319
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19965.msg301603.html#msg301603
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19965.msg301604.html#msg301604

Some people never learn.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 01:33:08 AM »

Apparently some people think it is necessary:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19965.msg301319.html#msg301319
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19965.msg301603.html#msg301603
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19965.msg301604.html#msg301604

Some people never learn.

Yes, I also thought about that before posting.  But if you look you will see that the preceding messages from Ialmisry and Abbu-Issa are very long.  So I assumed that Forum members are used to dealing with long messages.

Could you please let us know the Forum rules on these matters?  I suppose that I have "never learnt" because I have not seen the Rules.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:37:22 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 01:44:44 AM »

Could you please let us know the Forum rules on these matters?  I suppose that I have "never learnt" because I have not seen the Rules.
There's no rule against it.  It's just that some people find such cross-posting of whole articles quite annoying when they can easily follow the link for themselves should you give nothing more than the link and a brief one-or-two-paragraph excerpt of the article.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2009, 02:49:13 AM »

Message inadvertantly placed in wrong thread.  My apologies.

Hieromonk Ambrose
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:06:12 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 02:59:35 AM »

From Sea to Shining Sea, Iconic American Landmarks to Darken for WWF’s Earth Hour
March 17, 2009 05:00 AM
http://www.businesswire.com/

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--From the United Nations building in New York City to the Santa Monica Pier Ferris Wheel in Los Angeles County, support for Earth Hour continues to grow as new U.S. cities, high-profile landmarks, organizations and individuals commit to cast their vote in the world’s first global vote for action for climate change by turning off lights on March 28, 2009 at 8:30 p.m. local time.

Organized by World Wildlife Fund, participation in Earth Hour has expanded dramatically in the U.S. over the past few days with more than 100 cities and towns now agreeing to darken some of the nation’s most famous skylines including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

The U.S. will join more than 1,500 cities, towns and villages in 80 countries including Beijing, Berlin, Copenhagen, Dubai, Hong Kong, London, Mexico City, Moscow, Nairobi, Paris, Rome, Sydney, and Toronto as Earth Hour cascades through the world’s time zones on this historic night.

“With Earth Hour, millions of people from all walks of life will demonstrate their commitment to take action on climate change,” said Carter Roberts, CEO of World Wildlife Fund. “Turning off the lights is just the beginning. We’re asking everyone to also make commitments to reduce their energy use during the rest of the year and to ask their elected representatives to do the right thing because we need climate legislation now.”

The list of iconic landmarks and popular attractions in the U.S. that will go dark for one hour on March 28th include:

New York

* U.N. headquarters building
    * Coca-Cola digital billboard in Times Square
    * Empire State Building, Time Warner Center and NY Life building

Las Vegas

* The Las Vegas Strip including major casino and hotel properties such as the Luxor Las Vegas (its beam can be seen from space), Caesars Palace Las Vegas and Stratosphere Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
    * Fremont Street Experience (largest digital screen in the world)
    * “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” sign

Washington, D.C.

* National Theater
    * John A. Wilson City Building
    * Walter E. Washington Convention Center
    * Judiciary Square

Los Angeles

* Santa Monica Pier and Ferris Wheel
    * Capitol Records building
    * El Capitan and El Rey Theaters
    * Griffith Observatory
    * Pylons at LAX
    * Pinks Hot Dog stand

Chicago

* Sears Tower and John Hancock Building
    * Navy Pier

San Francisco

* Golden Gate Bridge
    * Coit Tower

Nashville

* Nashville’s Honkytonks including Tootsie’s, the Second Fiddle and the Stage on Broadway
    * The AT&T Building
    * Country Music Hall of Fame

Atlanta

* Bank of America Plaza
    * Fox Theater
    * 191 Peachtree Tower
    * The Varsity

In Addition:

* The Gateway Arch in St. Louis
    * Zakim Bridge in Boston

Celebrities showing their support include Oscar-nominated actor Edward Norton (the official US ambassador for Earth Hour 2009), Archbishop Desmond Tutu, actresses Janeane Garofalo, Keisha Knight Pulliam and Jennette McCurdy, fashionistas Stacy London and Clinton Kelly, as well as musicians Linkin Park, Alanis Morissette, Jo Dee Messina, Big Kenny (Big & Rich), Gavin DeGraw, KT Tunstall, Mary Mary, Dierks Bently, Wynonna Judd, Vince Gill, Amy Grant, Lady Antebellum, SHeDAISY, Finger Eleven, Simple Plan, Justin Nozuka, The Veronicas, Rise Against and Coldplay.

With less than two weeks until the event, WWF has already received commitments from a vast range of national organizations to participate and engage their members including: the American Federation of Teachers, Building Owners and Managers Association, National Council of 4-H, National Education Association, National Science Teachers Association, Newspaper Association of America Foundation, and the U.S. Conference of Mayors.

In addition, a large number of leading colleges and universities will also serve as flagship campuses for Earth Hour, including: Columbia University, Gallaudet University, Howard University, Michigan State University, Northwestern University, University of Miami, University of Nevada Las Vegas, University of Virginia and Georgia Tech University.

Icons outside of the U.S. committed to shutting off their lights for Earth Hour include:

* Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris
    * Sydney Opera House
    * Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro
    * Niagara Falls
    * Stockholm Castle
    * Hong Kong’s Symphony of Lights and Taipei 101
    * Burj Dubai and Burj Al Arab
    * Moscow State University
    * Coca-Cola sign at Piccadilly Circus and London Eye
    * King Hussain’s Mosque in Jordan
    * Christchurch Cathedral in New Zealand
    * Victoria Square Dome in Ireland
    * Edinburgh Castle in Scotland
    * Table Mountain in South Africa

The event on March 28th is just one step in an ongoing effort to fight climate change. After the lights go out around the world on this evening, WWF hopes that conversations will continue on climate change and that people will take initiatives to make small changes in their lives to be more carbon efficient.

WWF encourages simple but effective energy-saving measures such as installing compact fluorescent light bulbs, which are more efficient and last much longer than traditional incandescent bulbs, choosing energy efficient appliances, making sure their car tires are properly inflated and unplugging electronics when they are not in use.

WWF officials stressed the importance of safety during Earth Hour, asking that all lighting related to public safety remain on.

More information about Earth Hour and ways to get involved can be found at www.EarthHourUS.org.

National partners for WWF's Earth Hour 2009 are Esurance, Cox Enterprises, The Coca-Cola Company, Wells Fargo and Hewlett-Packard.
Thanks for posting it again Irish Hermit! It's a great article isn't it? It lists all the iconic landmarks which will be darkened for Earth Hour around the world.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 03:07:51 AM »

Good gracious!     Please see

"Is It Necessary to Cross-Post Whole Articles from ocanews.org (and other web sites?")
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15002.msg301622.html#msg301622

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2009, 03:13:41 AM »

Hieromonk Ambrose
No. You didn't place it in the wrong thread. I moved it here since you want to discuss this topic of crossposting from ocanews and other websites.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:13:58 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2009, 03:22:02 AM »

I'm adamantly opposed to cross posting entire articles. 
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2009, 03:23:26 AM »

Is this because of copyright issues Nektarios?

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2009, 03:24:05 AM »

Ditto.  It's just plain annoying.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2009, 03:26:50 AM »

Is this because of copyright issues Nektarios?

Even beyond the copyright issues, I'm tired of agendas being pushed. 
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2009, 04:10:03 AM »

Hieromonk Ambrose
No. You didn't place it in the wrong thread. I moved it here since you want to discuss this topic of crossposting from ocanews and other websites.

Oh I see.   Well no, I don't really want to discuss it but thank you for giving it some thought.    I wanted to point out to the person who posted an entire lengthy article from Businessnews in the EarthHour thread that it was a tad inconsistent to do that when complaints have been made about my posting two letters from OCA.news on the Antiochian events.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:10:44 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2009, 04:17:26 AM »

I don't really want to discuss it but thank you for giving it some thought. 
Oh. OK.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2009, 07:14:52 AM »

There's no rule against it.  It's just that some people find such cross-posting of whole articles quite annoying when they can easily follow the link for themselves should you give nothing more than the link and a brief one-or-two-paragraph excerpt of the article.

To be honest, looking through a number of old threads (yes, for some reason I like to look at the tags at the bottom.  I thought that was why they were there, but some seem to dispute this), links are down etc. and then it is hard to follow the discussion, especially if no one has posted anything but a (now-broken) link.  So I try to think of what a reader a year or so from now (and yes, I do get PMs from people asking me about something I posted long ago, so I'm not the only one), and post what I would think necessary.  For a similar reason I post the link under an image when I post it.

Btw, good point Father A.

Another good point.  I also like to post things with my emphasis added.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:17:17 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: ocanews.org 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: