OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 12:32:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Seraphim Prayer Ropes  (Read 2405 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: March 07, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »

I am thinking of making a personal order for a prayer rope and found this site.  I have never heard of it before, and the page is so limited there is no information regarding who is making the ropes or what type of Orthodoxy they practice.  It looks fine on the face, but I was hoping somebody might recognize the website and could tell me if my prayer rope would be coming from an Orthodox source.   I just want to make sure I'm not buying something like Monastery Icons.

http://www.prayerropes.net
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 11:37:14 AM by TinaG » Logged

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
MoreThan1Hat

Faith: Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Metropolia of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 05:20:06 PM »

I ordered three prayer ropes from this site over a year ago and have not received anything yet.  I placed the order in January of 2007 and in March I got an email stating that the woman who makes the prayer ropes was moving house, and it would be perhaps another 4 to 6 weeks before I received my order.  Since then I have tried to contact her by telephone and email several times - nothing.  I believe she is Russian Orthodox although who I know this I cannot remember, and I don't know what jurisdiction.  I hope this helps.

Hospodi Isuse Christe, Syne Bozij, pomiluj mja hresnaho.....
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »

http://www.athenshop.com/

I ordered some all the way from Greece very inexpesively. And there are all sorts of places to order them in the US. If you have paypal, you can order easily thru athen shop.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 07:14:21 PM »

http://shop.1asecure.com/index.cfm?DeptNo=4&Stid=3295

And here is a local place that sells them. I actually like these much better since there are no tassels on the cross.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:15:20 PM by Quinault » Logged
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 07:42:42 PM »

I ordered three prayer ropes from this site over a year ago and have not received anything yet.  I placed the order in January of 2007 and in March I got an email stating that the woman who makes the prayer ropes was moving house, and it would be perhaps another 4 to 6 weeks before I received my order.  Since then I have tried to contact her by telephone and email several times - nothing.  I believe she is Russian Orthodox although who I know this I cannot remember, and I don't know what jurisdiction.  I hope this helps.

There probably from the greek jurisdiction if it is that late Grin

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 02:48:35 AM »

Oooh bad timing.  I hope you didn't pre-pay.  Thanks for the tip but sorry you had to learn it the hard way.  I'll try another site.  Actually I'd like to learn to make my own.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 03:12:17 AM »

http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=HOWT179

The above is a video on how to make one.  I've never seen the video or tried to make one, so I can't tell you if it is hard or easy. 

Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 06:15:19 AM »

I find there are many places that sell prayer ropes.

St. Anthony's Greek in Arizona, USA one of Geronda Ephraim's Monasteries, the Abba spoken of in Gifts of the Desert.

http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/ccp6/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=PrayerRopes

than, www.Skete.com sells them as well.

So there are many places that sell, them.

Shop around.
MoreThan1Hat

Faith: Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Metropolia of Pittsburgh

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 09:05:16 AM »

Oooh bad timing.  I hope you didn't pre-pay.  Thanks for the tip but sorry you had to learn it the hard way.  I'll try another site.  Actually I'd like to learn to make my own.

No, I didn't pre-pay, so that is a blessing I suppose.  I would also like to learn to make them, if only to make them for my children.

Hospodi Isuse Christe, Syne Bozij, pomiluj mja hresnaho.....
paul_qm2000

Faith: orth
Jurisdiction: ro

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 04:09:28 AM »

You can find some very nice prayer ropes at OrthodoxCrafts.com

http://www.orthodoxcrafts.com/prayer-ropes.shtml

And also orthodox byzantine icons...

http://www.orthodoxcrafts.com/byzantine-icons.shtml
Tags: chotki prayer rope 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: