OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 02:33:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EP & Met. Zizioulas Slam The Russian Orthodox Church As They Meet In Rome  (Read 14696 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2008, 04:29:33 PM »

For one thing, the existence of churches belonging to other autocephalous Churches in all of the named places. 

Again, as I pointed out before, this has nothing to do with what was being discussed - and now you've drawn GiC into your tangent.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »

Last I saw, the Orthodox have no pope.

Well, actually we do, his throne is the ancient and venerable see of Alexandria. But in terms of canonical authority, he is second to our Oecumenical Patriarch.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Joseph-James

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

tonsured reader

« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2008, 06:33:25 PM »

Isn't there more than one pope in Alexandria?

Jim
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2008, 06:46:26 PM »

Isn't there more than one pope in Alexandria?
The Vatican will not allow the Eastern Rite Patriarch there to use the title of Pope.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2008, 11:03:16 PM »

The Vatican will not allow the Eastern Rite Patriarch there to use the title of Pope.

I think he means the Coptic Patriarch.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Joseph-James

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

tonsured reader

« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2008, 04:05:46 PM »

Yes. Coptic. Historically, they're the oldest in Alexandria. Pope Shenouda.

Jim
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2008, 03:20:31 PM »

That is why we desire EO unity. No more Lyonses, Ferrara-Florences and Balamands, all of which just further divided the EO Churches. 

The Balamand Statement may have its faults; nevertheless, to my mind it is categorically different than Lyons and Ferrara-Florence.

Hopefully the Holy Father makes that visit to Patriarch Alexei soon.

I hope for that as well.

-Peter.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
buzuxi
Elder

Faith: GREEK ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: WORLD ORTHODOXY AGAINST ECUMENISM

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2008, 11:10:20 PM »

The title of 'Pope' has been in continuous use for the Patriarch of Alexandria since about 240 a.d. first used for Pope Heraclas of Alexandria.  Pope Shenouda is the Coptic pope of Alexandria while Pope Theodoros is the Greek Orthodox pope of Alexandria.

I'm almost positive that the imposter Coptic Catholic Patriarch Antonios Naguib does not, nor is allowed to use 'pope' for himself based on strict orders from his boss; Pope of Rome .

EDIT:  Derogatory 'U' word replaced with less insulting reference to Catholic Copts...  IOW, please don't use the 'U' word in reference to our Eastern Catholic brothers and sisters.  -PtA
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 01:02:40 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2008, 12:55:08 PM »

The title of 'Pope' has been in continuous use for the Patriarch of Alexandria since about 240 a.d. first used for Pope Heraclas of Alexandria.  Pope Shenouda is the Coptic pope of Alexandria while Pope Theodoros is the Greek Orthodox pope of Alexandria.

I'm almost positive that the imposter Coptic Catholic Patriarch Antonios Naguib does not, nor is allowed to use 'pope' for himself based on strict orders from his boss; Pope of Rome .

Yes, you are correct on that, nor can the Melkite Patriarch who is also Melkite Patriarch of Alexandria use it, nor the Latin one who was abolished (Latin Copts do exist).  Their church is not big enough for two Popes, unlike the Early Church.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Ravenna ecumenism EP Bashing 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: