Author Topic: EP & Met. Zizioulas Slam The Russian Orthodox Church As They Meet In Rome  (Read 17034 times)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
For one thing, the existence of churches belonging to other autocephalous Churches in all of the named places. 

Again, as I pointed out before, this has nothing to do with what was being discussed - and now you've drawn GiC into your tangent.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
Last I saw, the Orthodox have no pope.

Well, actually we do, his throne is the ancient and venerable see of Alexandria. But in terms of canonical authority, he is second to our Oecumenical Patriarch.
"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry

Offline Joseph-James

• tonsured reader
Isn't there more than one pope in Alexandria?
Jim

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
Isn't there more than one pope in Alexandria?
The Vatican will not allow the Eastern Rite Patriarch there to use the title of Pope.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
The Vatican will not allow the Eastern Rite Patriarch there to use the title of Pope.

I think he means the Coptic Patriarch.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Joseph-James

• tonsured reader
Yes. Coptic. Historically, they're the oldest in Alexandria. Pope Shenouda.
Jim

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Melkite Catholic
That is why we desire EO unity. No more Lyonses, Ferrara-Florences and Balamands, all of which just further divided the EO Churches. 

The Balamand Statement may have its faults; nevertheless, to my mind it is categorically different than Lyons and Ferrara-Florence.

Hopefully the Holy Father makes that visit to Patriarch Alexei soon.

I hope for that as well.

-Peter.
- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)

Offline buzuxi

• Elder
The title of 'Pope' has been in continuous use for the Patriarch of Alexandria since about 240 a.d. first used for Pope Heraclas of Alexandria.  Pope Shenouda is the Coptic pope of Alexandria while Pope Theodoros is the Greek Orthodox pope of Alexandria.

I'm almost positive that the imposter Coptic Catholic Patriarch Antonios Naguib does not, nor is allowed to use 'pope' for himself based on strict orders from his boss; Pope of Rome .

EDIT:  Derogatory 'U' word replaced with less insulting reference to Catholic Copts...  IOW, please don't use the 'U' word in reference to our Eastern Catholic brothers and sisters.  -PtA
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 01:02:40 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
The title of 'Pope' has been in continuous use for the Patriarch of Alexandria since about 240 a.d. first used for Pope Heraclas of Alexandria.  Pope Shenouda is the Coptic pope of Alexandria while Pope Theodoros is the Greek Orthodox pope of Alexandria.

I'm almost positive that the imposter Coptic Catholic Patriarch Antonios Naguib does not, nor is allowed to use 'pope' for himself based on strict orders from his boss; Pope of Rome .

Yes, you are correct on that, nor can the Melkite Patriarch who is also Melkite Patriarch of Alexandria use it, nor the Latin one who was abolished (Latin Copts do exist).  Their church is not big enough for two Popes, unlike the Early Church.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth