OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 05:46:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harry Potter V reviews  (Read 17686 times) Average Rating: 0
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2003, 05:21:07 PM »

They're not Orthodox(.)

I don't understand what you mean by this, other than the obvious sense that Rowling herself isn't Orthodox (Church of Scotland, my wife recalls).
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2003, 05:51:57 PM »

I feel (just a little) bad posting in this section since I've never read a HP book and don't really plan too.  But, since I played AD&D when I was little (and am presently stuck in the middle of a computer game that I haven't touched in over a year), I've read dozens of Forgotten Realms and a few Dragonlance books.  Although I know he writes more than just Forgotten Realms (I own around 40 of those), I keep hearing R.A. Salvotore's name popping up.  Is he really making a name for himself?  Is he considered a decent author?  I personally like his books (especially the Dark Elf ones), but am curious what others think.

I played D&D in my 20's and 30's.  I don't now because I have children, so there's not as much time and I don't know where any of my many-sided dice are.  Grin  I play an on-line Massive Multiplayer Game when I can now.  I've only read a bit of R. A. Salvatore's writing, not the ones the ones you mentioned.  He's OK.  He's better then alot of the schlock out there.  I read less fantasy now and more SF and alternate Histories when I can.  SF Book Club has carried some of Salvatore's books iirc.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2003, 05:55:16 PM »

Heres my 2 cents.

I personally rather see kids reading, even if its absolute crap, than say watching TV or sitting around eating junkfood.

Bobby

But if there is better fare available, one hopes that children won't stay with the lesser works.   However, being as it's a rare 8 year old boy who would willing read "Hamlet" or "War and Peace" there are also good quality children's books.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2003, 12:24:13 AM »

Wow, you finally broke 500 posts, way to go!

I don't know if I'm hallucinating or it's the Thunderstorm that just crashed through, but I could swear that Bobby's counter now says "9999"...

Shocked

Mega-posting

Ebor

David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2003, 01:01:16 AM »

Quote from: David on Wed, July 09, 2003, 10:51:52 PM
They're not Orthodox(.)

Quoted from: Keble
I don't understand what you mean by this, other than the obvious sense that Rowling herself isn't Orthodox (Church of Scotland, my wife recalls).

What I meant was that the books are not written to be explicity Eastern Orthodox texts as are the spiritual texts others mentioned earlier in the thread that they felt drowned out any need for works such as the Harry Potter series.  Perhaps it is a good thing the works are not Orthodox, Catholic, and Anglican.  Otherwise many of the people who are reading this series would never have picked up the books.  

I must also add myself to the list of former D&D players.  I played through early high school up until recently.  It takes up too much time that is better spent elsewhere these days, so I don't really want to play anymore.  

I don't know if I'm hallucinating or it's the Thunderstorm that just crashed through, but I could swear that Bobby's counter now says "9999"...

I don't think you're hallucinating...however perhaps Bobby is hallucinating, or throwing back a few cold ones. Smiley

Seven pages!  Been a while since I've seen a thread at that length.  Good night all!

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2003, 07:21:35 AM »

Maybe the "9999" is another "Undocumented Feature"  8-)

Ebor

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2003, 05:38:53 PM »

Or maybe Bobby is a different type of Beast, and this is his mark?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2003, 06:42:09 PM »

$665.95 - retail price of the beast. Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2003, 07:52:50 PM »

It must be the Heat.  We're starting to crack. 8-)

I'm trying to think of something to wrench this back on topic, but I can't... Later then the Young are all estivating.

Ebor

srenalds

« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2003, 10:31:28 PM »

Greetings,

The Nicolaitians would agree that you can't understand (or "comment" on it as was put here) something without first sampling it.  This argument would also imply that a monk who has given himself to virginity can't comment on marriage...  It would also imply that we need to throw ourselves into sinful situations to better understand how sin operates on the human soul.

We are speculating (and I believe it's fair speculation) that Elder Ephraim has not read JK Rowling, but his monastry is sponsoring a text that is against HP.  I put forward the notion that Elder Ephraim is an expert on how fantasy affects the human soul, and doesn't have to read JK Rowling for a further lesson.

Readers of JK Rowling are initiating themselves into a fictional world where the commandments of God are null and void...

Regards,

SRENALDS

NULL
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2003, 10:49:01 AM »

Ok guys, each side has stated its position so let's just agree to disagree on this one.

We need to close this topic just because the only thing else that can come of it is "yeah, I agree with you!" or "no, you're wrong!"

If you have a sub-issue you want to discuss, start a new thread, please.

Sincerely,

anastasios
administrator

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Tags: Harry Potter 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: