OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 07:40:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What do you think of the Roman Catholic allowing a canonical divorce to address the problem of couples who cannot get an annulment?
They should. They need to address the modern problem. - 2 (11.1%)
They should but carefully, taking the Eastern Orthodox way of doing it. - 10 (55.6%)
I am indifferent. - 2 (11.1%)
I would rather they did not, but if the Holy See allows it, I accept - 0 (0%)
No. "What God puts together, let no man put asunder." - 3 (16.7%)
Other (explain if you wish) - 1 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman Catholic Canonical Divorce  (Read 918 times) Average Rating: 0
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2014, 01:27:01 PM »

For the hundredth time on this forum, an annulment doesn't make the children illegitimate. 
Right. There was no marriage, but the children are legitimate. (?)

What sort of bizarre legal fiction leads to that result?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2014, 01:34:22 PM »

"If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's a duck." They both entail the family being torn apart and the couple no longer living together. The only people that are going to think differently are going to be the scholastic theologians. But for the parties involved, it entails the same thing,...
This is true in many cases of RC marriage annulments granted since Vatican II.
just talk to the children.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
wainscottbl
Aspie weirdo of the forum
Archon

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Children crying in the lap of Santa are so cute!!!

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2014, 09:42:28 PM »

For the hundredth time on this forum, an annulment doesn't make the children illegitimate. 
Right. There was no marriage, but the children are legitimate. (?)

What sort of bizarre legal fiction leads to that result?

A civil one. Property has to go somewhere when someone dies. I think if there is no will and the deceased has property that goes to the next of kin, if that is the child, the legitimate child gets it before the illegitimate. If there is a will the guy can give to his mistress and leave his children out if he wants. If can give it to the Ku Klux Klan. Otherwise it goes to the next of kin--spouse, then children, ones by marriage before ones outside of civil marriage. I don't think the male has place over the female in inheritance but I think blood still has some place in the question. One can use the argument that such and such is not the deceased's legitimate child and would have a pretty good argument unless the bastard can show some proof the will of the deceased, even implied, or suggested, was otherwise. May be cruel, but laws have to have such boundaries to work. Within the Church I do not think it matters except that the child was born out of wedlock. But that's the parents sin, not the child's.

"To love someone means to see him as God intended him."
                                                                   --Fyodor Dostoevsky
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: