Author Topic: Oriental stance on divorce  (Read 1444 times)

Offline St. Christopher

Oriental stance on divorce
« on: March 06, 2008, 08:30:09 AM »
What do the Oriental Orthodox believe about divorce and remarriage?  Do the different churches (Coptic, Armenian, Syrian, etc.) have different stances?  Thank you.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
Re: Oriental stance on divorce
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:32:11 AM »
It's not looked upon as a good thing.  In the Armenian Church, divorce and remarriage are allowed under certain circumstances.  I don't know the details, though.  I had a cousin whose wife cheated on him, and in that circumstance the bishop allowed a second marriage in the Church.

Offline EkhristosAnesti

• 'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
  • Archon
  • Pope St Kyrillos VI
Re: Oriental stance on divorce
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:48:30 AM »
I'm not sure about other OO churches, but the Coptic Church is generally rather strict on the matter. We generally only recognise the Scriptural exceptions i.e. divorce in the case of adultery or apostasy.
No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus