OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 12:02:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gary Gygax Reposes  (Read 1429 times) Average Rating: 0
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« on: March 05, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »

I read this somewhere: 'Old Dungeon Masters never die...they just re-roll their stats'

May the Lord have mercy on him, and on us all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/tv/16218352.html

Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Gary Gygax dies at 69

MILWAUKEE - Gary Gygax, who co-created the game Dungeons & Dragons and helped start the role-playing phenomenon, died Tuesday morning at his home in Lake Geneva. He was 69.

He had been suffering from health problems for several years, including an abdominal aneurysm, said his wife, Gail Gygax.

Gygax and co-creator Dave Arneson developed the fantasy role-playing game in 1974. It became one of the best-selling games ever and influenced video games, books and movies.

Gygax' wife said he always enjoyed hearing from the game's legion of devoted fans about how Dungeons & Dragons influenced their lives. Many would stop by the family's home in Lake Geneva, which is about 55 miles southwest of Milwaukee, she said.

"It really meant a lot to him to hear from people from over the years about how he helped them become a doctor, a lawyer, a policeman, what he gave them," Gail Gygax said. "He really enjoyed that."

Dungeons & Dragons players create fictional characters for themselves and describe their adventures with the help of complicated rules and unusually shaped dice.

The quintessential geek pastime, it spawned a wealth of copycat games and later inspired a whole genre of computer games that are still growing in popularity.

Gygax had been in declining health for several years but as recently as January he hosted weekly games of Dungeons & Dragons at their home, Gail Gygax said.

Funeral arrangements are pending. In addition to his wife, Gygax is survived by six children.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:51:40 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 01:28:53 PM »

Memory eternal. I tip my +1 hat to him.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 01:39:06 PM »

Memory eternal.  Reminds us that there aren't any saving throws in life.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 03:56:30 PM »

Memory eternal.

Love never fails.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 06:21:15 PM »

DEFINITELY Memory Eternal.

I was looking at the wikipedia entries last night for Gygax and many of the original D&D and AD&D modules.  While I did my share of gaming, I really didn't do nearly as much as I would have liked with the classic sets.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 11:37:57 AM »

May he rest in Peace.  We're a gaming family with the two older children doing 'old school' figures and maps and charts D&D with friends and the school game clubs and asking for stories of their parents adventures (like the Fighter Twins (Str 20, Int 6) who would pull the doorknobs off of the dungeon gates). 

There are some nice tributes to EGG on-line including on "The Order of the Stick" a comic about an adventuring party

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html

http://www.xkcd.com/393/
http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/dorktower/archive.asp?nextform=viewcomic&id=1347
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/03/04

Cry

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:52:42 AM »

As I've written elsewhere, may Gary roll dice in eternity with God and Einstein!

Memory Eternal!

I was looking at the wikipedia entries last night for Gygax and many of the original D&D and AD&D modules.  While I did my share of gaming, I really didn't do nearly as much as I would have liked with the classic sets.

Over the past couple years I managed to get just about every old D&D module and ruleset via pdf from various sources.  I'm sure I'll never use them again, but it's a blast to pull one up and recall sitting around with my other social outcast friends drinking Mountain Dew and eating Doritos whilst battling the evil of Mystaria. Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 12:10:01 PM »

Could I ask where you found them, Schultz?  Our older boy is very interested in the different rules and modules from "the dim times" when his parents were "young".  Cheesy

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 01:13:46 PM »

Could I ask where you found them, Schultz?  Our older boy is very interested in the different rules and modules from "the dim times" when his parents were "young".  Cheesy

Ebor

Sure thing!

rpgnow.com has most of the older stuff scanned from the old tsr archives...or at least they did at one point.  I can't check now (filters at work block all "gaming sites") but I'd bet they have most of them.

Any holes in their archive at the time I either scanned in myself from my own personal archives or from other people who, like me, collect such things.

I'm sure you'll crack a huge smile the first time you hear him use the word THAC0 in conversation Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 07:56:47 PM »

Lord have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 09:47:52 PM »

Memory eternal.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 12:58:01 AM »

Memory eternal. Lord, have mercy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: