Author Topic: Priests as Fundraisers  (Read 1075 times)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Priests as Fundraisers
« on: June 18, 2008, 01:56:55 AM »
Simple question (Mods, I feel the question is a faith issue and please move it if deemed otherwise):

Can an Orthodox Priest operate a fund raising consulting business as a lay vocation even if such a business name contains the term Stewardship?  Does He serve God or Mammon or both (contrary to Christ's Commandment)?

The web site for Stewardship Advocates led me to ask the question.  The organization has helped a significant number of Orthodox Churches and Institutions with capital campaigns and fund raising.

Offline admiralnick

• Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
  • OC.net guru
Re: Priests as Fundraisers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »
I don't think the priest is fund raising per se. He's offering his knowledge and experience to parishes who want to implement stewardship as opposed to the dreaded envelope system. He's offering a service that most churches would find useful and the firm is charging for the use of their time and effort. It's really no different than the OCA Midwest Parish Health Ministry. He does the same thing this priest does, but instead all of the churches pay a flat fee to the diocese to pay his salary. In return, the fee is passed on as an assessment to the members of the church. Same principle, different way of going about it.

-Nick
The ORIGINAL: "NULL"