OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 12:24:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Baghdad  (Read 1456 times) Average Rating: 0
Fotina02

« on: June 22, 2003, 03:33:02 AM »

I only recently became aware that there exists an Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Baghdad, and this Archdiocese is a part of the Patriarchate of Antioch.

Pray for our Orthodox brethren in Iraq.

Message from the Metropolitan for Great and Holy Friday 2003
Beloved faithful of our Archdiocese:

I cannot help but think of the suffering of tens of thou-sands of Iraqi children who have been victimized by war.

We thank God that the people of this Archdiocese have responded generously in the past to all social and natural disasters, whether in America, Mexico, Latin America, Africa, Eastern Europe or the Middle East. The scenes of suffering Iraqi children break one’s heart. Suffering has no nationality and no boundaries. We recall the words of our Lord in Matthew: “Whatever you have done to the least of these, my brethren, you have done it unto me.”

As you know, we have an Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Baghdad under the omophorion of our beloved brother, Metropolitan Constantine Pappastephanou, and this Archdiocese is a part of the Patriarchate of Antioch.

I am appealing to you, beloved children, as you commemorate the agony of our Lord on the cross on Great Friday, to take a collection to help save some of the children in Iraq. Please give generously to this worthy cause; and immediately send your checks to the Archdiocese marked “Iraqi Children.”

May the Eternal Light of the empty tomb, which cannot be overcome by darkness, shine in your hearts and in the hearts of people everywhere.

Yours in the Risen Lord,

Metropolitan Philip
Primate
Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese
of North America

« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 03:40:13 AM by Fotina02 » Logged
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 05:56:12 AM »

Fotina,

You are right. Iraqi Christians need our prayers, one regime they do not want to change to is one dominated by Shia Islam. Here's a short piece from the Church of Ireland Gazette for June 6th:

Iraqi Christians anxious about Islamic fundamentalism

While most Iraqi Christians joined the celebrations following the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, they are now expressing concern and anxiety that freedom of religion will be curbed in favour of Islamic fundamentalism.

Fearing a Shiite-dominated government, Christian leaders are calling for a new constitution that will guarantee minority faiths the right to ‘profess our faith according to our ancient traditions and our religious law, the right to educate our children according to Christian principles, the right to freely assemble, to build our places of worship and our cultural and social centres according to our needs,’ the Chaldean Church has said in a statement.

‘I’m afraid for my people,’ said Bishop Ishlemon Warduni, leader of the Chaldean community that represents about 80 per cent of Iraq’s 800,000 Christians. ‘During the war we were not afraid like we are now. All Christians are in danger,’ he said in an article in Religion News Service.

‘We have a 2,000-year history in Iraq - and that is now threatened. The fanatics would see us gone,’ he said.

The danger seems most pronounced in Shiite strongholds in southern Iraq where Muslim clerics have been calling for an Islamic republic. Under Saddam Hussein, Christians were allowed freedom of worship but not to seek converts or give their children Christian names. There are increasing reports of Christian girls and women being harassed on the streets for not wearing veils. (ENS)

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 12:18:38 PM »

So much for our liberating Iraq from the Saddam regime if the Shiite sect of Islam come to political power in Iraq!   Angry

Hypo-Ortho
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 02:01:53 PM »

So much for our liberating Iraq from the Saddam regime if the Shiite sect of Islam come to political power in Iraq!   Angry

Hypo-Ortho

Agreed, agreed, agreed....
Shades of Kosovo all over again. This is maddening...

Demetri (who never tires of emailing the Whitehouse -no reply- and his senators -who at least do reply, in writing- as if that helps)

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 02:49:59 PM »

Don't forget...

America creates her enemies.

If we didn't create enemies I guess we'd get bored.

I am appauled by the fact that most of our senators can be "bought" out. It's pretty sickening, isn't it??

Bobby
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: