OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 06:37:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy 4th of July  (Read 1883 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: July 04, 2003, 11:58:07 AM »

Happy Independence Day to all fellow Americans out there.

Be careful with fireworks.

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 12:09:14 PM »

Thank you for honoring our feast (yes, it's a feast day in the Episcopal Church).
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 12:30:04 PM »

Thanks, Happy Fourth to everyone.

Alas fireworks are illegal in AZ for the average citizen...

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 12:30:40 PM »

I'll be at a cook-out today with a whole backyard full of Roman Catholics, some of them Byzantine!

And it's Friday!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 01:25:29 PM »

Ditto Linus except there are no byzantines here!  My Mom said she'd let me make my favorite fasting dish - the recipe is posted here by me : http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193&start=40
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 02:24:38 PM »

Our Fourth of July menu, which will be served on our 4th-floor back porch, will be salad BEFORE the fireworks.  Then, after the fireworks, all invited RC's, Buddhists and Orthodox Christians will re-group on our back porch for batter-dipped deep-fried fish fillets (tempura-style), shrimp in my homemade garlic and basil pesto sauce with linguine, and alcohol-free coolers, followed by a dessert of espresso chip ice cream.  Yummers!   Grin

Whoops!  Almost forgot to mention: the RC's are bringing cakes they bought at the best Italian bakery in town!  Dessert will indeed be good.  Tongue

As its is extremely hot here today (in the 90's), we'll more than likely do the deep frying on a side table on the porch.  But there's no getting away from our huge frying pan to toss the shrimp with the linguine in the pesto over the kitchen stove!   Sad

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

Hypo-Ortho
« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 02:38:02 PM by Hypo-Ortho » Logged
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 02:32:37 PM »

WOW - I'm drooling

Happy 4th July to you all

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2003, 09:23:51 AM »

I had a great time yesterday.  Gathered with several of my closest friends for a meal(even though all I could have were hamburger patties and the pulled pork) that was wonderful.  Afterward we drove into a nearby town for the yearly fireworks display, and afterwards came back and split a 1.5 liter bottle of Grolsch(too bad I couldn't have any).  The best part by far was spending most of the evening playing games with my friend's 3 year old daughter.  I can't wait to have a few kids of my own someday.

Nectarios,

I'm very surprised you went to such gourmet extremes for a simple fasting meal.  Tres impressive! Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 02:59:23 PM »

Nectarios,
I'm very surprised you went to such gourmet extremes for a simple fasting meal.  Tres impressive!  

I thought it was only a convert thing to eat PB&J everyday during lent, but lo and behold I was talking to my priest's daughter and she told me she did the same thing!  It's a good meal, the PB gives some protien and the Jelly and bread some sugar for energy yet it is still light enough to be fasting.

Nektarios
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2003, 04:12:18 PM »

Nektarios

I'd love to hear a dietician's comments about that !!

I found it tough  to fast during Lent- but I managed to look after myself - and eat enough to live Wink

It took some ingenuity as my husband is a total carnivore - for him a meal has to have red meat.

I'm sure that you can do better than PB and jelly. That betrays your youth.

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2003, 04:31:56 PM »

I can actually do better than PB and J!  My favorite fasting meal is Spanish Rice with some beans and jalapenos mixed in (which isn't spicy if your used to it :-P).  Anything that has rice and beans is good.  Also pasta with tomato sauce is good...and olive oil on the days it is allowed.  At work (I work at a sub shop) I get a veggie sub with no cheese and put lots of Guacamole on it.  Still none are as dear to my heart as the ol' PB&J.
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2003, 04:43:13 PM »

Your dentist must love you ! Wink

- St. John Maximovitch
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2003, 04:49:38 PM »

Actually since becoming Orthodox I've reduced my intake of cookies, brownies, and ice cream from an enormous amount to only a very large amount...so my teeth are probably better!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2003, 04:59:26 PM by Nektarios » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2003, 10:15:52 PM »

Did the annual Fort Ross excusion with Bishop Tikhon serving the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy.  Had Salmon and Boca Burgers (someone mistakely brought real sausages thoug, although I think most people ignored them).

Then, readjourned later in the evening at my priest's house for BBQ wild pacific Salmon (the best) among other food and drink and some home fireworks.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: