OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 07:22:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hanging votives question  (Read 777 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: March 01, 2008, 02:27:54 AM »

We set up our icon area yesterday. We have 3 icons; the Theotokos of Vladmir, Christ Pancrator, and Rublev's Trinity.

What was really interesting was that after we'd finished setting it all up, we were all standing back admiring our handy work when the hanging candle votive in front of the Theotokos started (from a completely stopped position) gently swinging back and forth, then spinning in a circle picking up speed. At this time, the votive in front of the Christ icon began to spin as well in the opposite direction as the Virgin's. This continued on for about 15 minutes. Afterwords, my husband tried various combinations of thumping on the wall and stomping in an effort to recreate what happened, to find a natural cause if you will. The votives stayed perfectly still.

Has anyone else experienced this?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 02:29:12 AM by Quinault » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 02:37:06 AM »

Has anyone else experienced this?

Not to be my cynical self, but you do live in one of the more seismically active parts of the world and something like a hanging votive lamp would pick up seismic movement that otherwise wouldn't be noticed.  Sometimes its spiritually safer to assume natural causes like that than something else.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 02:46:37 AM »

No, not cynical at all! Quite logical too. We live near the freeway and in the "ring of fire" area since we are in the NW. So I checked our local seismegraph website. Our most recent quake was at 10:30 last night,  well after the spinning of the votives, which was around 5pm. And they didn't spin today at 5pm and we had more trucks and heavier traffic today than yesterday.

http://www.ess.washington.edu/recenteqs/Quakes/uw02290613.htm
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 02:52:32 AM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 02:48:26 AM »

In fact, there were no quakes in our area at all during that time. Well before, and well after, but not at that time.

http://www.pnsn.org/recenteqs/Maps/122-48_eqs.htm
Tags: icon corner votive lamp 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: