OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 07:35:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black and white icons  (Read 923 times) Average Rating: 0
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« on: February 28, 2008, 03:32:41 PM »

Is it permissible to venerate a black-and-white drawing of an icon, or is it necessary that the icon (or icon print) be in color?

Or perhaps another way to ask is, to be an icon, must an image be multicolored or may it be in only one color?
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:40:02 PM »

Is it permissible to venerate a black-and-white drawing of an icon, or is it necessary that the icon (or icon print) be in color?

Or perhaps another way to ask is, to be an icon, must an image be multicolored or may it be in only one color?
Good question, TC.  Being that it is still an icon per se, there's probably nothing wrong with venerating a 'black-and-white' drawing.  Afterall, it's not the paint and wood that's being venerated in a traditional written icon.  However, there is a whole theology that goes into writing an icon; with many special prayers having been said during the writing (Orthodox for 'painting'), and chances are, it's been blessed.  But- this is only my personal feeling and I could be way wrong.  Just my $0.02
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:48:20 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 01:53:15 PM »

I see your point and I believe it is pertinent.  The next question that comes to mind is, am I certain that all the icons and icon prints I venerate have incorporated those prayers?  I can think of one local parish (not mine) in which the icon of the Lord's Supper on the iconostasis is said to have been painted by a non-Christian artist (a rumor which, if true, would explain a couple of peculiarities of that particular piece).

In such a case, where the iconographer may not have prayed those prayers, does the blessing complete what is lacking (vis–à–vis reception by chrismation of baptized non-Orthodox Christians)?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 01:57:35 PM by tuesdayschild » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: