OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:11:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looney tunes character  (Read 4880 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: February 24, 2008, 07:32:16 PM »

Hey Guys!! Grin

What is your favorite Looney Tunes character? Here's a website detailing all the characters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_modern_Looney_Tunes_characters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Looney_Tunes_Characters

I LOVE Daffy Duck, because his angry charades are adorably goofy!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 07:36:17 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 08:10:08 PM »

I LOVE Daffy Duck, because his angry charades are adorably goofy!

Duck Dodgers in the 24 and a half century!  Classic!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:14:48 PM »

Easy for me--I say, I say:  Foghorn Leghorn.

and Marvin the Martian (you will be annihilated)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 12:45:58 AM »

I was enough of a wise-guy to have liked Bugs above all.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 02:08:05 AM »

Dude...73 people have read this thread and haven't responded?? You Old Fogeys!! Don't you remember vegetating in front of the telly to this stuff??  Wink Tongue

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:35:16 AM »

Dude!  I'm not sure which one is my fav.  Probably Bugs Bunny.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 03:29:48 AM »

Anyone for the coyote?  Always frustrated?

My personal favorite:  Bugs Bunny, because he's such a self-confident (cocky, even) smart arse.

I also liked Tweety.  Small and very cute, but certainly not harmless.  He could definitely outwit and wreak serious havoc on that "bad ol' puddy tat!"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:33:07 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 09:59:32 AM »

I like Bugs because he's witty, charming and a smart alek.  But I also love Daffy Duck because he's wild and zany; esp the episodes where he bounces all over the place screaming "Hoo hoo, hoo hoo, hoo hoo!"  Probably because I'm goofy myself, but that always makes me chuckle.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 11:11:50 AM »

Definitely Daffy Duck.  I especially love the episode where Elmer Fudd is going to shoot either Bugs or Daffy and he gets into "pronoun trouble".  Bugs Bunny is so mean to Daffy. Tongue

Juliana Smiley
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 03:10:57 PM »

I can honestly say that poor Wile E. Coyote was my favorite character. It wasn't until I was much older that I realized the irony behind his antics. Everything he buys ends up backfiring on him in some way shape or form. This in itself isn't all that interesting, but everything he buys is labeled ACME. Since ACME relates to being the pinnacle or best of the best, it is always quite ironic that none of his plans ever work.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »

Daffy Duck, hands down.

I especially love it when his beak gets twisted around to the back of his head.

And, of course, there's one of my favorite cartoon lines ever: "You're dethpicable!"

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Cyril of New York

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GO Archdiocese

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 07:00:07 PM »

Bugs will always rule, but I always liked him a lot better when he's paired up with Yosemite Sam.

Sam: "Start walking ya doggone long-eared galoot!"

Bugs: "Hey wait a minute! Dem's fightin' woids! I dare ya to step ovuh dis line!"

"Now I dare ya to step ovuh dis one...dis one....dis one..."

Finally Sam falls off a cliff. Bugs rushes down the mountain and puts a mattress down.

Bugs: "Y'know sometimes me conscience kinda bodders me.....

Pulls the mattress away

"BUT NOT DIS TIME!"

SPLATT!
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 12:04:34 AM »

Speedy Gonzales and Slowpoke Rodriguez were favorites of mine.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 12:05:27 AM »

But by far, this combo was my absolute favorite;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Sheepdog_and_Ralph_Wolf
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 12:10:19 AM »

"Mornin' Sam."

"Mornin' Ralph."
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 12:12:26 AM »

Hey, how come no one's mentioned Porky Pig?  "Th-th-th-that's all folks!"
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 12:17:41 AM »

Bugs will always rule, but I always liked him a lot better when he's paired up with Yosemite Sam.

Sam: "Start walking ya doggone long-eared galoot!"

Bugs: "Hey wait a minute! Dem's fightin' woids! I dare ya to step ovuh dis line!"

"Now I dare ya to step ovuh dis one...dis one....dis one..."

Finally Sam falls off a cliff. Bugs rushes down the mountain and puts a mattress down.

Bugs: "Y'know sometimes me conscience kinda bodders me.....

Pulls the mattress away

"BUT NOT DIS TIME!"

SPLATT!

And to remember all the nefarious pranks Bugs pulled on the lovable doofus Elmer Fudd--all in the name of self defense, of course.  Those two clips set to music from the Barber of Seville ("The Rabbit of Seville") and from a collection of Richard Wagner's operas ("What's Opera, Doc?") will always stand out in my mind as venerable classics.  (Imagine Elmer Fudd dressed up as a Viking and singing his ditty "Kill the wabbit!" to the tune of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyrie.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:44:49 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 12:26:24 AM »

I always found it fantastic that these classic cartoons were set to classical music. It really instilled in the kids an appreciation for great art.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 12:30:51 AM »

This is the only Luny Tunes I like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luny_Tunes

Wink

Of course I have to be careful as a lot of that Reggaeton can be inappropriate! Some of it is real cool though.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 12:58:40 AM »

Oh, rats!  Now you got me started again.

from youtube:

What's Opera, Doc?

Rabbit of Seville
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »

Sam Sheepdog

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »

I prefer the old Disney vault cartoons like 1930s-1950s Donald Duck.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »

Bugs is to the Looney Tunes universe what Batman is to DC- Not only the best character on his own, but the one with the most interesting Rogues Gallery. Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, the Gremlin (one of the few to put Bugs in the pursuer role), Rocky and Mugsy, Marvin the Martian, Gossamer (the big, red, hairy monster), Daffy (Rabbit season!), Hugo the Abominable Snowman- the list goes on.

That said, I was always partial to Pepe. He really turned the standard Looney Tunes chase format on its head.  

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 10:16:17 PM »

Yosemite Sam the grouchy hot-head.

Foghorn Leghorn the Loud-mouth from the South.  "I say, I say, I say, boy!"

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 11:03:14 PM »

Really? Why? I mean, "Der Fuehrer's Face" was pretty funny, but I've always found Warner Bros. animation superior, at least in terms of cartoon shorts. It's really tough to pick one favorite. I'll probably say Wile E. Coyote. His fall from grace from a stuck-up self-identified genius with a clearly fake British accent in his early Bugs Bunny cartoons to a sympathetically unlucky and completely silent predator in his better known Roadrunner material is fun to think about, and it gives him nice diversity that other characters may lack.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 11:26:38 PM »

Really? Why? I mean, "Der Fuehrer's Face" was pretty funny, but I've always found Warner Bros. animation superior, at least in terms of cartoon shorts. It's really tough to pick one favorite. I'll probably say Wile E. Coyote. His fall from grace from a stuck-up self-identified genius with a clearly fake British accent in his early Bugs Bunny cartoons to a sympathetically unlucky and completely silent predator in his better known Roadrunner material is fun to think about, and it gives him nice diversity that other characters may lack.

The old Disney cartoons just seem really more 'down-home' and realistic to me, like the animation and plotlines really capture the simple, American dream life that we all strive for. I cannot really describe it, it is just that the Disney cartoons seemed so much simpler, yet amazing to me and portrayed a very friendly, appealing way of life. They also seemed more creative to me since a lot of them had to do with social issues or jokes in society at the time, like the World War II propoganda episodes. I think that my all time favorite episode is 'Commando Duck' or something where Donald Duck is a commando that gets stuck in the middle of Japan. I also find that the Huey Duey and Louie Donald Duck episodes were always very amazing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:27:40 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 11:31:21 PM »

Looney Tunes also provided commentary on the war!

Hmm, maybe there's a good reason they don't show those cartoons very often today.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 11:37:39 PM »

The old Disney cartoons just seem really more 'down-home' and realistic to me, like the animation and plotlines really capture the simple, American dream life that we all strive for. I cannot really describe it, it is just that the Disney cartoons seemed so much simpler, yet amazing to me and portrayed a very friendly, appealing way of life. They also seemed more creative to me since a lot of them had to do with social issues or jokes in society at the time, like the World War II propoganda episodes. I think that my all time favorite episode is 'Commando Duck' or something where Donald Duck is a commando that gets stuck in the middle of Japan. I also find that the Huey Duey and Louie Donald Duck episodes were always very amazing.

Hmmm, I think you have your eras mixed up. WWII and thereabouts the WB cartoons were hands down the best satirical and political commentaries. Disney's cartoons of the period were just plain boring (save Donald Duck- his Hulk-like rages were sweetness). Now, '80s through early '90s era Disney cartoons (Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin, and Darkwing Duck) were what made getting home from school worth it, though Tiny Toons tried. Disney continued its dominance until WB released Animaniacs and the Pinky and the Brain spin-off- since then Disney hasn't released any cartoon shows worth watching (at least not until they recently bought out Marvel Comics and released a very good Avengers cartoon) and the only WB cartoons worth watching have had the word "Batman" in the title.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:38:28 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 02:44:54 AM »

I would have to disagree with you guys. I've watched the war/political cartoons from both sides and I think that Disney reigns supreme over WB. this right here hands down deficates on every WB war cartoon ever made. I was literally laughing throughout the entire cartoon. Also, while Donald Duck may have been the greatest of the characters, he was not the only good Disney cartoon character from that era. Goofy and Mickey Mouse also had their golden moments. Also, some of my favorites. The Old Army Game and Sky Trooper. Donald Duck contemplating suicide to me was one of the darkest, most frightening yet hilarious Disney moments of all time.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:09:35 AM by JamesR » Logged

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 08:53:45 AM »

Definitely Speedy Gonzales for his Spanish accent in English and love to fiestas Wink I also love cartoons with Sylvester. It's so funny when he sings in Back Alley Oproar and so cute when he tries to defent Porky Pig

"Mornin' Sam."

"Mornin' Ralph."

Probably the smartest episodes of the Looney Tunes Wink

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »

The Three Little Bops. And Shorty Rogers' music is priceless.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 10:04:50 AM »

Hey, how come no one's mentioned Porky Pig?  "Th-th-th-that's all folks!"

I always found Porky to be a most valuable supporting character like when he matched wits with Daffy in sharing a hotel room in "Daffy Duck slept Here" or when with sylvester as a fraidy cat staying in an old west ghost town hotel etc. I guess my favorite is the Daffy of the 1940s era (altough I like the Chuck Jones character too but not as much).

Antiochian OC N.A.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »

Bugs Bunny

Is there a question?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: