OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 08:58:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does one give the kiss of peace?  (Read 3272 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: February 23, 2008, 10:39:45 PM »

This evening I went to another Orthodox parish.  After talking for the first time with father, he proceeded to try to give me the 3-side kiss of peace.  I've seen Orthodox do it before (especially priests who meet one another) but I've never done it myself.  I felt awkward in trying to do it, and I still don't understand how to do it.  Can someone give me a brief description so I know in the future and don't make a fool of myself.  Thanks!
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 10:56:07 PM »

As it's done at my OCA parish, it goes left side, right side, left side and it's more like a quick 'smack'.  Way back when I was Muslim, I became accustomed to it, esp around Turks.  Don't worry though, after you accidently get too close to the lips, you'll be extra careful next time. Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 10:58:57 PM »

So do you actually kiss the other person on the cheek?  The priest had a big beard, so I just felt hair. 
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 11:35:10 PM »

So do you actually kiss the other person on the cheek?  The priest had a big beard, so I just felt hair. 
Yup, it's a real honest-to-goodness kiss, but not quite as forcefully as you would kiss a significant other.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 11:52:17 PM »

Coming from an Italian family, I never felt awkward, but I still trip up on the 3rd kiss.   laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 06:10:34 PM »

At the GOA parish I go to, we only do a double sided kiss. The step-by-step process I usually follow is:

1.) Begin with a handshake/hug
2.) Whoever wants to "lead" (generally the old Greek ladies) pulls the other person in
3.) Other hand is placed on the persons shoulder, and I try to aim the kiss at the middle of their cheek

I never grew up with it (Irish), so it was new to me. The priest doesn't like people kissing his hand, though, much less his face (Lol).

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 09:38:17 PM »

In the Slavic tradition when approaching an Orthodox priest it is perfectly ok to put your right hand in your left and say, "Father bless."  The priest will give you a blessing and then put his hand into your hand and then you kiss his hand. 

Seeker73

Faith: Orthodox Christian (inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Carpatho-Russian

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 09:19:49 PM »

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but is this mandatory?  I'm planning to visit an Orthodox parish soon, and I had no idea that any type of kiss was a part of the liturgy.  I know I wouldn't be comfortable with this.
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 10:47:21 PM »

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but is this mandatory?  I'm planning to visit an Orthodox parish soon, and I had no idea that any type of kiss was a part of the liturgy.  I know I wouldn't be comfortable with this.

I am new to Orthodoxy as well and never had to kiss anyone, since I've been attending for the last couple of months.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 11:23:03 PM »

It is not mandatory.  It seems, some of the clergy, priest and bishops, kiss out of their own, individual humility, after the faithful have kissed their right hand.  We kiss the priests and bishops hands, because they bless us with that hand.  As noted above, the Greek form tends to be, the clergyman kisses the layman's right cheek, after the layman has kissed the right hand of the clergyman, while the layman kisses the clergyman's right cheek; each, then kisses the opposite cheek.  A deacon's hand is not kissed, because they do not have the authority to bless with their hand.  I would recommend that a layman not initiate the kissing of a clergyman, other than the kissing of his hand, but should reciprocate the kissing of the cheek, if the clergyman initiates it.  As also noted above, the Russian/Slavic form, from my experience with OCA and Carpatho-Russian priests who are friends of my Greek parish and either concelebrate or substitute for our Greek pastor, do another kiss upon the first cheek kissed; a third kiss, after the other two have been kissed.  Priest and Bishops greet eachother with the exchange of the kiss.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Seeker73

Faith: Orthodox Christian (inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Carpatho-Russian

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 11:56:05 PM »

BTRAKAS and Irenaeus, thank you for your replies.  You both helped me get a clearer picture.  God bless.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 12:17:18 AM »

The other thing you have to realize is that there is a kiss of peace that is exchanged DURING the liturgy.  Then there is a normal "european" greeting type of kiss, that happens in the social hall.  they look and are done exactly the same, just with somewhat different meanings and at different times. 

In the Coptic church I went to it was a lot less close, but more hands on.  You kiss the tips of your fingers which are put together like in a prayer fashion.  Then you connect hands with the other person who proceeds to kiss their hands, so you exchanged the kiss of peace.  this is during liturgy though...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 01:11:29 PM »

Heard a story about this regarding an ecumenical clergy conference where an EO priest went to greet one of our (Coptic) priests and said, Let's greet the Eastern way. Our priest was happy to oblige however the Copts only kiss twice so when the EO went for a third he thought (so he related to a few of us), Well, why not? Wink

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 02:24:38 PM »

Heard a story about this regarding an ecumenical clergy conference where an EO priest went to greet one of our (Coptic) priests and said, Let's greet the Eastern way. Our priest was happy to oblige however the Copts only kiss twice so when the EO went for a third he thought (so he related to a few of us), Well, why not? Wink

Must not have been a Greek EO priest.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 02:09:58 AM »

The other thing you have to realize is that there is a kiss of peace that is exchanged DURING the liturgy.

This is not customary in all Orthodox parishes. Having been members of a UOC, OCA, and currently a GOARCH parish (I've moved a lot), the only time I experienced the kiss of piece DURING the Liturgy was at an Antiochian parish.

The kiss of piece DURING the Liturgy is something that is done on a parish by parish basis.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 02:17:21 AM »

We do the kiss after our priest says; "Christ is in our midst" and we respond "He is and ever shall be!" Then we say the preceding to each other and kiss each other.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:17:36 AM by Quinault » Logged
Tags: kiss of peace 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: