OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 11:15:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Myth of a Christian Nation  (Read 1081 times) Average Rating: 0
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« on: February 23, 2008, 09:30:34 PM »

I just finished reading the book The Myth of a Christian Nation by Gregory Boyd.  I realize that he is Protestant but some of the ideas in the book seemed very Orthodox-like. I don't agree with everything he says or does not say but I found it an interesting read.  I was wondering if anyone else had read this work and would like to share your thoughts on it.

For those who have not read it but would like a little about it:  his basic thesis is that the US is not, has never been and cannot possibly be a Christian nation because Christian nations cannot exist.  Since being a Christian anything means that it is Christlike, no nation on earth has or can fulfill that ideal because all the nations are simply expressions of worldly government and cannot be identified with the Kingdom of God.   
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 09:57:50 PM »

Interesting.  He does have a point; one that would be agreed to by the OO at least, considering their experience with the first Christian Nation.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 10:44:52 PM »

no nation on earth has or can fulfill that ideal because all the nations are simply expressions of worldly government and cannot be identified with the Kingdom of God.

Yeah, but crazy weirdos like Pat Robertson, Pat Buchanan, and John Ashcroft can sure try...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:50:39 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 11:10:29 PM »

Interesting.  He does have a point; one that would be agreed to by the OO at least, considering their experience with the first Christian Nation.

What's wrong with the Kingdom of Armenia? 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: