OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 03:03:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Syriac Orthodox and Antiochian Orthodox inter-Communion  (Read 5390 times) Average Rating: 0
HaileAmanuel
HaileAmanuel [Amanuel is my Power]

Faith: Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahido/Non-Chalcedonian

He that is greatest among you will be your servant

« on: February 23, 2008, 01:06:48 PM »

Peace...

I know that there may be a new thread on the topic of the Antiochian Orthodox Church, but I wanted to say that from my understanding, there was an agreement and/or protocol between the Syrian Orthodox Church, the Antiochian Orthodox Church and the Melkite Catholic Church [of the East] to have an inter-Holy Communion and inter-Marital relationship. 

These Churches also have an agreement to serve on one anothers altars.  Please correct me if I am wrong. 

Another question may arise: Therefore, if the Syrian Orthodox Church [Non-Chalcedonian/Oriental] has inter-Communal relations with these Chalcedonian Churches, where do the other Oriental Orthodox Churches stand in this relationship? Are they in Communion by default [I'm not asking this, but I figure that this may be a question in the minds of others]?

This is a fit for a different thread.

Thanks,

HaileAmanuel

'He who is greatest among you, will be your servant [St. Matthew 23:11].'
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 05:24:12 PM »

This was split off from the thread Oriental Orthodox Music:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9840.90.html#lastPost

Haile--If you want to start a new thread with a different topic, just press the "new topic" button and you'll be able to do so.  The new topic button starts a new thread for you.   Smiley
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 05:27:40 PM by Salpy » Logged

BasilCan

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:22:16 PM »

This topic was debated "ad nausem" by many Orthodox sites (including this one) for years. This statement made in the early 1990's was directed to those rural areas where both the Antiochian and Syriac churches have few in numbers. It was a form of "economia"  It was not accepted throughout the Antiochian church and was severely criticized by other Orthodox patriarchates. There is no official inter-communion between these two churches only respect and mutual support (which is required in an area where Christians are a persecuted minority)

Basil
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 01:18:50 AM »

This topic was debated "ad nausem" by many Orthodox sites (including this one) for years. This statement made in the early 1990's was directed to those rural areas where both the Antiochian and Syriac churches have few in numbers. It was a form of "economia"  It was not accepted throughout the Antiochian church and was severely criticized by other Orthodox patriarchates. There is no official inter-communion between these two churches only respect and mutual support (which is required in an area where Christians are a persecuted minority)

Basil

There is unofficial communion, as I communed at the Syriac patriarchate in Damascus, the priest knowing that I was EO.  Similarly with the Armenians in Aleppo.  In Egypt, the problem was not that I was EO, but that I had been baptized Lutheran.

There is an agreement in Antioch and Alexandria, that the EO and OO recognize each other's marriages.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 01:58:53 AM »

there was an agreement and/or protocol between the Syrian Orthodox Church, the Antiochian Orthodox Church and the Melkite Catholic Church [of the East] to have an inter-Holy Communion and inter-Marital relationship. 

I had not heard that the Melkite Catholics were involved in intercommunion?  Huh

As far as intercommunion between EO and OO, it also takes place in the United States when distance to an EO/OO church is a factor.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 05:49:19 AM »

... from my understanding, there was an agreement and/or protocol between the Syrian Orthodox Church, the Antiochian Orthodox Church and the Melkite Catholic Church [of the East] to have an inter-Holy Communion and inter-Marital relationship. 

These Churches also have an agreement to serve on one anothers altars.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

HaileAmanuel,

There exist informal pastoral agreements between the Antiochians and the Melkites in their countries of origin.  There is also a formal pastoral agreement between the Syriac Orthodox and Syriac Catholics and informal agreements between both of those and the Antiochians and Melkites.  The provisions of these relate to pastoral care of each other's faithful in places and at times when their own presbyters are not available to them.  They certainly all include provisions as to intermarriage between faithful of the various Churches and there is, unquestionably, provision of the Mystery of the Eucharist as well as, one suspects, those of Penance and Holy Anointing.  It is simply a reality of the circumstances in which they find themselves in their own countries where, even taken together, Christians are a minority.

No provisions exist, of which I am aware, that permit concelebration of the Divine Liturgy, presuming that to be what you mean by serving on one another's altars.  There are, however, instances in which they share the use of a single temple.  You can find a detailed discussion of one such circumstance here

Another question may arise: Therefore, if the Syrian Orthodox Church [Non-Chalcedonian/Oriental] has inter-Communal relations with these Chalcedonian Churches, where do the other Oriental Orthodox Churches stand in this relationship? Are they in Communion by default [I'm not asking this, but I figure that this may be a question in the minds of others]?

I would say no.  Although the Oriental Orthodox Churches do act in concert in many matters, this is not necessarily one of those circumstances - not to say that there are not instances.  The Ethiopian and Eritrean Tewahado Churches have generally tended to shy from much in the way of such agreements, although the latter is likely to agree with such to the extent that it's elder Coptic Sister Church does so.  It seems though that I recently heard that the Ethiopians were engaging in some dialogue, for the first time in a long while.  The Copts have some agreements in place with the EO in Alexandria; an informal agreement between the Coptic Orthodox and the Catholic Church has existed for several years, but is not particularly functional any longer from my understanding.

The Armenians have any number of informal agreements in place; they, like the Syriacs, have a history of being open to both providing and accepting offers of pastoral care in instances of necessity.

The Indian Churches are, generally, not strongly inclined towards such, even those which are historically closely tied to the Syriacs.

See also this recent thread, particularly the posts by Aristokles and myself, which address some related aspects of this matter.

Many years,

Neil   
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:54:16 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 12:29:38 AM »

Yes. There is not common policy from the Oriental Orthodox about this issue. For example, while the Syrian and Armenian Churches sometimes give communion to Catholics and Eastern Orthodox and only Chrismation (and in some cases Confession) is needed for a RC to join these Churches formally, the Coptic Church does not recognize the Baptism of Catholics as valid. Here there is a Coptic Church and converts are always baptized. If you weren't baptized Oriental Orthodox or at least Eastern Orthodox the Copts will deny you communion.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 07:21:27 PM »

Why are Melchites included in the agreement and Syriac Catholics are not?
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 12:51:07 AM »

Why are Melchites included in the agreement and Syriac Catholics are not?

I don't understand why Melkites are included at all. I'm less upset between occasional inter-communion between EO and OO but with the Melkites? The Melkite church started when a group of Orthodox left the Faith for Rome, they should not be communed. The EO and OO have small issues to work out but with Rome, it shouldn't be done.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:52:29 AM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Tags: unity Syriac Orthodox communion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: