OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 09:43:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture  (Read 3639 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: February 23, 2008, 01:06:18 AM »

Hey y'all,

Have any of you heard of this project?  I have a few volumes so far and really enjoy them;  I find that they have benefitted my Scriptural/Patristics studies.  Although it's not necessarily an Orthodox endeavor, there are several Orthodox Christians who's names appear inside each book as giving praise:
Fr. George Dragas of Holy Cross Seminary
Metropolitan Theodosius (Ret.) Primate, Orthodox Church in America
Fr. Peter Gillquist Director, Dept. of Missions and Evangelism, Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of N. America
Frederica Mathewes-Green

Here's a link to the publisher-
 http://www.ivpress.com/accs/

Thoughts/Comments?

In Christ,
Gabriel

**Edited for spelling**
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 02:13:46 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 02:03:01 AM »

Hey, if anyone is publishing actual scriptural commentaries that are solely made up of Early Church Fathers, I'm sure it's a good project.  Protestants and Orthodox scholars won't put up with the forgeries, or with the heretics.  And for how boring Fr. George can be in lecture, he's pretty conservative and specializes in the Fathers (he's the Patristics Professor at Holy Cross); I'd trust his recommendation of what to read any day.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:42:23 AM »

I find the ACC series to be rather dull to be honest. Most of the selections chosen aren't really the most informative or enlightening; some of them in fact do no more than just state the obvious implication of the verse in question; others merely summarise or restate in different words what the verse expresses. There are some really valuable and eye-opening entries, but from what I recall they're rather uncommon. I guess they're sufficient as an accessible and handy accompaniment to one's personal Scriptural studies, especially since, as far as I know anyway, there is no similar series of greater quality.

Protestants and Orthodox scholars won't put up with the forgeries, or with the heretics.

Well, hate to tell ya, but heretics (e.g. Apollinaris, Theodore of Mopsuestia) are quoted in the ACC series, and not just a few times either.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 02:43:03 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 03:38:43 AM »

Hey y'all,

Have any of you heard of this project?  I have a few volumes so far and really enjoy them;  I find that they have benefitted my Scriptural/Patristics studies.  Although it's not necessarily an Orthodox endeavor, there are several Orthodox Christians who's names appear inside each book as giving praise:
Fr. George Dragas of Holy Cross Seminary
Metropolitan Theodosius (Ret.) Primate, Orthodox Church in America
Fr. Peter Gillquist Director, Dept. of Missions and Evangelism, Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of N. America
Frederica Mathewes-Green

Here's a link to the publisher-
 http://www.ivpress.com/accs/

Thoughts/Comments?

In Christ,
Gabriel

**Edited for spelling**

I had Genesis chapters 1 to 11, but gave it away to a Roman Catholic Friend.

I still have the one on Romans. And I plan on getting the two on the Gospel of John. As well as a few others.

It's a mixture of good and bad. They quote both Saints and heretics. Both East and West. Both Canonical and noncanoncal fathers.

Just so you know. Over all I like it. .....as long as you know the bias of the editors and know that they quote a mixture of Saints and heretics then I don't see a problem with it.

JNORM888
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 03:48:09 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 05:38:57 AM »

Hey, if anyone is publishing actual scriptural commentaries that are solely made up of Early Church Fathers, I'm sure it's a good project.  Protestants and Orthodox scholars won't put up with the forgeries, or with the heretics.  And for how boring Fr. George can be in lecture, he's pretty conservative and specializes in the Fathers (he's the Patristics Professor at Holy Cross); I'd trust his recommendation of what to read any day.

Well, as much as I love Fr. George, has he ever come across a book that he doesn't like? Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 11:15:46 AM »

I find the ACC series to be rather dull to be honest. Most of the selections chosen aren't really the most informative or enlightening; some of them in fact do no more than just state the obvious implication of the verse in question; others merely summarise or restate in different words what the verse expresses. There are some really valuable and eye-opening entries, but from what I recall they're rather uncommon. I guess they're sufficient as an accessible and handy accompaniment to one's personal Scriptural studies, especially since, as far as I know anyway, there is no similar series of greater quality.

Hmmm.  Interesting.  How extensively have you perused the series?

Well, hate to tell ya, but heretics (e.g. Apollinaris, Theodore of Mopsuestia) are quoted in the ACC series, and not just a few times either. 

Yikes.

Well, as much as I love Fr. George, has he ever come across a book that he doesn't like? Wink

LOL.  It never seems like it.  But his bibliographies were always top-notch.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:11:33 PM »

It's a mixture of good and bad. They quote both Saints and heretics. Both East and West. Both Canonical and noncanoncal fathers.
Over all I like it. .....as long as you know the bias of the editors and know that they quote a mixture of Saints and heretics then I don't see a problem with it.

Thanks for the heads up, brothers.  I think I might put it aside for awhile.  Afterall, I do have the New Testament put out by Dormition Skete/Holy Apostles Convent in Buena Vista along with the OSB.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 05:33:54 PM »

It's gotten worse.  He is trying to set up a field trip for the whole class to go to a second-hand book store.   Cheesy Cheesy

As for ACC, if you know who is who, it can be really enlightening.  And, it can help you go directions with scripture you might not have every thought to explore.  That has been my experience with it. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 08:31:45 PM »

It's gotten worse.  He is trying to set up a field trip for the whole class to go to a second-hand book store.   Cheesy Cheesy

LOL...I believe it. I remember him expressing great regret in one of his classes that he couldn't take us to some second-hand book store in Jerusalem that he just loved. Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:31:55 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 11:00:18 PM »

LOL...I believe it. I remember him expressing great regret in one of his classes that he couldn't take us to some second-hand book store in Jerusalem that he just loved. Cheesy

Dude that got worse too.  He's getting Fr. Pentiuc into it now.  We might actually add Jerusalem to our Senior Trip now....lol.   Cheesy Cheesy

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 12:46:34 AM »

Dude that got worse too.  He's getting Fr. Pentiuc into it now.  We might actually add Jerusalem to our Senior Trip now....lol.   Cheesy Cheesy

WOW...sometimes the temporary alliances formed can really surprise you. Wink

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 12:49:25 AM »

Nice.

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 12:50:02 AM »

WOW...sometimes the temporary alliances formed can really surprise you. Wink

Absolutely.  Those two used to be on opposite sides of the faculty groups....

---------------------
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »

I will reserve my comment...lets just leave it at this...
WOW...sometimes the temporary yalliances formed can really surprise you. Wink

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 04:59:55 PM »

I've been getting these for about a year now (just got first part of Genesis last week).  I like it very much and use the quotations as a stepping stone.  One definitely needs to keep an eye out for who is who, but, overall, I like having it as a ready source for beginning to delve into various parts of Scripture.

It's like a wikipedia entry. Wink 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 05:02:40 PM »

It's like a wikipedia entry. Wink 

LMAO!!!!  That could mean just about anything, and it's STILL funny.   Cheesy Cheesy

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: