OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 10:44:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lent  (Read 1284 times) Average Rating: 0
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« on: February 22, 2008, 05:09:50 PM »

Well, I live with a Catholic and I was talking to her about Lent.  How come Lent begins on a different day than the Catholics?  Easter is also different.

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 05:20:06 PM »

The Latins use a different method of calculating the date of Easter than we do.  Different Easter, different Lent.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Irenaeus07

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 05:26:37 PM »

The Latins use a different method of calculating the date of Easter than we do.  Different Easter, different Lent.

So is there a book I can learn how they calculate Easter?  And why they Calculate it differently?  It seems quite interesting.

I just got a book today on Lent entitled, "Great Lent" by Alexander Schmemann can't wait to read it. Anyway thanks for your input.

May God Bless
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »

So is there a book I can learn how they calculate Easter?  And why they Calculate it differently?  It seems quite interesting.

IIRC, it has something to do with how the vernal equinox is calculated, but I'm not sure.  I'm not certain where you could find the precise method of calculation, either.

I just got a book today on Lent entitled, "Great Lent" by Alexander Schmemann can't wait to read it. Anyway thanks for your input.

May God Bless

That is an excellent book.  Hopefully, you'll get quite a bit out of it.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 05:48:51 PM »

For starters, (most) Catholics use the Gregorian Calendar in order to calculate Easter while the Orthodox (and some Eastern Catholics) use the Julian Calendar. 

The canons of Nicaea state that Easter should occur the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox.  The vernal equinox is nominally stated to be March 21.  The actual date can vary due to the inability of the relatively arbitrary human calendar system to fully mesh with the astronomical observation we call the equinox.  However, March 21 is the starting point for both calendars.  Since the Julian calendar presently has a 13 day difference from the Gregorian calendar, the date of Easter is bound to be off most years between the two.  Considering that the equinox is a solar event and the full moon a lunar event, the two are not usually going to coincide, but sometimes do (as it will again in AD 2010 and 2011).

As far as the actual calculations go, there's is an article on wikipedia entitled Computus which I think does a decent job in setting out the rules for each calendar's computation of the date of Easter.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 05:53:28 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Irenaeus07

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »

Hope this helps.

Sure does, thanks.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 06:08:59 PM »

Along with the 13 day difference in calendars, when Jewish Passover occurs figures in our calculations. Hence the disparity can be much more than 13 days.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags: Lent calendar 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: