OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:55:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Godparents  (Read 732 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: February 22, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »

A couple quick questions (which we will also be running by our priest)

Does a godparent for a child (I am referring to our 2 year old) have to be 18? There is a lovely girl that is 15 in our church that I feel really "knows" our daughter. She is actually the daughter of the woman that my eldest wants for her godmother. (this woman has already very much taken on the role of godmother in many ways. She has taken my daughter under her wing, sits with her during liturgy and explains everything, gives her orthdoox books to read ect.)

Does a godparent have to be older than you? My husband has a man in our parish in mind who may be his age or a year younger, but has been in the Marines and deployed to Iraq before, and it would be nice to have a sponser that understands what it is to be deployed and the transition back.
(this will be my husbands second deployment to the sandbox in 3.5 years).
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 04:37:38 PM »

Quin:

Isn't it nice that we can pick our Godparents and our childrens' godparents.  Wink

I think it is fine. I have seen young men and women serve as Godparents in my church.

I do not think your priest will object.

My 2 cents

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »

Well, the only real stipulation I know of is that the godparents should not be spiritually younger (i.e., newer to the faith) than the godchild. Chronological age is not such a big deal, IME.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags: godparents 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: