OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 08:52:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there more than one Holy Spirit???  (Read 1519 times) Average Rating: 0
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« on: February 21, 2008, 09:49:15 AM »

Reading this morning, Jesus said, "And I will pray that Father and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever, the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be with you." (John 14:16-17)

And the bible says, "And He has said, this, He (Jesus) breathed on them, and said to them, Receieve the Holy Spirit." (John 20:22)

So at that moment Jesus gave them to the Holy Spirit.  Although another point that is quite confusing about these two passages, is that the commentator states that (John 20:22) is not the fulfillment of (John 14:16-17).  But Acts 2 is the fulfilment of (John 14:16-17).

Are there two different Holy Spirits???

Another point is,  concerning, John 14:16-17, how can Jesus send the Holy Spirit isn't the Holy Spirit is already there? 

And what about the Holy Spirit that gives everybody life?  He breathed into man and man became a living soul?

What is the difference between the Holy Spirit in which one is baptized and the Holy Spirit that lighten the soul of every man???

It leads me to believe there is more than one Holy Spirit???

Perhaps someone can help me understand these scripture verses in light of the Holy Spirit?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:08:18 PM by Irenaeus07 » Logged
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 01:12:57 PM »

No.  There is only one Holy Spirit, and wherever the Father and Son acts, the Holy Spirit acts there as well.  Christ gave the Holy Spirit to the Apostles after the Resurrection in a particular way, I would say, unique to that instance & action of forgiving sins (whosoever sins you forgive, are forgiven...).  At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit was poured out in His fulness not only upon the Apostles, but on all mankind as well.

The Holy Spirit is always present in creation.  He is God, and there is no place where God is not.  Every human being was breathed into life by the Holy Spirit; those of us who recieve Holy baptism and Chrismation recieve the Spirit in fulness.

The same Holy Spirit that acts at our baptism and Chrismation acts also to enlighten our souls.

It's important to realize that the Holy Spirit acts in different ways at different times.  He bestows His gifts to us, but not all of us recieve the same gifts, for example.  Nonetheless, as St. Paul says, it is the same Spirit who bestows these gifts.

I hope that my inadequate helps you out a bit.  I know there are others on the forum who are more well-versed on this, and can offer more valuable advice.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:13:17 PM by SakranMM » Logged

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:53:03 PM »

May I ask a question, too, in this regard. I understand that Holy Spirit is God and that there is no place where God is not. What, then, do we mean when we say in a prayer, "Heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of Truth, You Who is everywhere and Who fills everything, come, and dwell in us, and purify us..." The Holy Spirit is already in us, so why do we ask Him to "come?"

Love never fails.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »

The Holy Spirit is already in us, so why do we ask Him to "come?"

Because we have free will, and must work in synergy with the Lord. The acceptance of the Lord in our salvation should be continuous, so we need to be praying constantly, as well as seeming to repeat the same prayers...these keep our wills focused on working with the Triune God in us becoming that which He always wanted us to become.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 03:07:56 PM »

Oh, thank you, Father, that's what I myself thought about - the synergy, and now you "nailed" it for me. Thank you.

Love never fails.
ebpusey

Faith: Anglican Catholic

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 03:14:16 AM »

I seem to recall that a popluar Protestant preacher, Benny Hinn, once suggested that there are three Persons each Hypostatis. In other words, there are three Fathers, three Sons, and three Holy Ghosts. I wonder where he got this idea from? Perhaps it is due to starting with an idea of the substance of God rather than the three Persons of the Trinity (a criticism aimed often at Western Theology in general)?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 08:41:53 AM »

I'm pretty sure Benny Hinn will say or do anything if it gets him money.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Protestant, for now...

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 10:35:08 PM »

I seem to recall that a popluar Protestant preacher, Benny Hinn, once suggested that there are three Persons each Hypostatis. In other words, there are three Fathers, three Sons, and three Holy Ghosts. I wonder where he got this idea from? Perhaps it is due to starting with an idea of the substance of God rather than the three Persons of the Trinity (a criticism aimed often at Western Theology in general)?
Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, and other "Word of Faith" teacher believe God is a man of flesh who only lives, creates, and exercises power because He has faith that He will (their interpretation of Hebrews 11:1 essentially defines faith as New Age positive thinking).

So, since Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are just powerful men, they each have a body, soul, and spirit of their own (in terms of Pentecostal anthropology). Hinn is counting each body, soul, and spirit as part of the Godhead-so he claims a nine-part Godhead. IOW, his grasp of what a hypostasis is is pretty shallow. One WOF-ite once told me Hinn has recanted the nine-part teaching, but I haven't seen evidence of it (last time I went to his website, he was calling Father, Son, and Holy Spirit "manifestations," so maybe he's also imbibed T.D. Jakes' Sabellian tendencies). I don't of any other WOF teacher who has openly taught the nine-part Godhead.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize this was such an old thread.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:37:43 PM by Volnutt » Logged

I'm not posting on oc.net for the time being. Thank you to everyone for your support!
Tags: Holy Spirit 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: