OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:15:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helping Illegals  (Read 1519 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: February 20, 2008, 01:28:27 AM »

Hey Guys!

I'm not sure what the legal name for this law is, or even if it has become a law, but it concerns the politics behind the legalization of making it a crime to help illegal immigrants in the US in any way. As Orthodox, are we bound by this law? What are your opinions of this? for me, TinaG took the words right out of my mouth:

I'm not worried about poor, hardworking Mexicans bettering themselves and their families by doing crappy jobs that Americans feel they are too good to do or who can't make a living wage doing.

Myrrh23

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 06:58:49 AM »

In my area they passed a law that prohibits any charity or organisation from helping persons with out proper governmental visa, green card, etc.. after 30 days.
The Roman Catholic bishop, to paraphrase basically said;
We are in the service of living Christ's message.  We can't morally as Christians turn people away after 30 days. 

In high school our 11th grade Religion teacher (a Franciscan friar) was speaking of his community's outreach to AIDS victims.  A student said, Father, but how can you help them if they got AIDS during a very sinful act?"
Father said, "it is not for us to judge. We never ask them personal questions about how they got sick.  They are here because no one else will take care of them during their last days on Earth.  We are there to provide comfort, medical help and a hand to hold during their last days."

AIDS versus non-paper carrying persons may seem different.  However the message of love and Christian Charity is the same for both situations.  When people are in need we should be there to help.

Regardless of the sectarian laws of the nation we can not judge a person when he knocks at the door when he really really needs help.  It is our duty as Christians.
I say this because the law here restricts ALL organisations from helping non-paper carrying people after 30 days.  If the organisation does provide services after 30 days they can in fact be heavily penalised.
I need to check the status of this law here.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:10:24 AM by username! » Logged

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:15:15 AM »

Well said, Username!

I do take offence at the name of this thread, though. People cannot be illegal. People can do things which are illegal. In the case of illegal immigration, the crime is not filling out paperwork. It's about the same as failing to file your taxes. It's not a capital offence. And really, all the jail time, deportations, etc. we could ever do is not going to solve the real problem, which is that the paperwork has not been filed. This may be the only time you hear me praise President Bush, but he has the right idea when he says we need to help people fill out the paperwork and go on with their lives.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:17:45 AM »

sniff, sniff...smells like 'politics' in here.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 10:28:28 AM »

I admit I am not familiar at all with the laws or current situation here in my part of Texas, but considering we are so close to the border, we have a big population of undocumented Mexican nationals (illegals is almost a perjorative word now, the modern version of the old term "wetbacks") .  We don't have many raids because I think the population is so integrated racially.  We do have a lot of border control issues though.  The highway between San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley is patrolled very heavily for vehicles transporting illegals and drugs.  Just an aside, but my husband was in the Valley this week for business and he got pulled over by a DPS officer and 2 border patrol cars for going 77 in a 75 mph zone.  Got the 3rd degree and was kept stopped for more than 15 minutes before let go with a warning.  There is a huge business in trafficking people and drugs.  The poorer people have to foot it from the border and they often die very horrible deaths from heat and dehydration 6 to 8 months out of the year.  

I think this is a stupid way to control people.  Terrorists aren't ready to invade our borders - they'll get here no matter what and so will the Mexican nationals.  Our solution is to spend billions for a Berlin Wall along the border and the only thing it will do is destroy the very sensitive ecology of the riparian woodlands and marshlands along the Rio Grande.  They have been almost wiped out and this will surely finish the job.  The Valley economy is highly dependent on nature tourism (birdwatching in particular).

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 10:36:54 AM »

This is Pravoslav's board, so I'll let him make the final call, but in the interim, here's my informal guidance.

As long as the discussion stays along the lines of "how should we as Orthodox Christians act under this law," I think it'll be fine.  Anything else, including, but not limited to, discussions of what the law should be, effects of the law, changes to the law, opposition to the law, fighting the law and the law winning, etc., will probably be a one-way ticket to the private boards.

That is all.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »

This is Pravoslav's board, so I'll let him make the final call, but in the interim, here's my informal guidance.

As long as the discussion stays along the lines of "how should we as Orthodox Christians act under this law," I think it'll be fine.  Anything else, including, but not limited to, discussions of what the law should be, effects of the law, changes to the law, opposition to the law, fighting the law and the law winning, etc., will probably be a one-way ticket to the private boards.

That is all.

Ok, everybody...put out your torches and drop your sticks. We're not allowed to hit this Frankenstein monster every which way... Wink

Myrrh23

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:22:51 PM »

Personally, I have no problems with the word 'illegals' just as I have no problems with the word 'criminal'.  These words are descriptions of persons within the laws of sovereign nations.  If I were to enter into Canada or Mexico illegally, guess what I'd be called?  Now having said that, illegals (or illegal aliens if you like) are made in the same image as Christ that you and I are and it is the duty of a Christian to help them whenever we can.  I have nothing but the utmost, tremendous respect for immigrants.  These folks leave their countries, cultures and friends and loved ones behind (basically everything they know) only to face enormous uphill battles with a new culture and language and more often than not, prejudices and other forms of xenophobia.  Daily, I watch the struggles and difficulties of my Romanian girlfriend as she courageously deals with all of the above.  But- she came here legally AND (here's the crux, I believe, of the whole debate) rather than demand her host country print everthing in Romanian, she learned English.  So, I don't hold anything against folks wanting to live in another country; just do it legally and assimilate.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:33:01 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:39:18 PM »

Ok, everybody...put out your torches and drop your sticks. We're not allowed to hit this Frankenstein monster every which way... Wink

Myrrh23

There is a reason why we are so sensitive about politics. A great deal of our time was spent dealing with these issues until we finally put our policy in place Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: