OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 07:22:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angelic music  (Read 3628 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: February 19, 2008, 05:04:49 PM »

Whoa...listen to this...
What language is she singing in? I think I recognize Latin in there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEHJY0T9RsQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7tKexc4wSM

Ugh...I am so in love!

Myrrh23
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:09:02 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Seekingthetruth

Elder Philotheos Zervakos

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:05:16 PM »

The language is Greek. The hymn's are "Axion Estin" and "Kyrie Eleison". The artist is Divna, and if you have itunes, you can purchase her CD through it.

If you want the lyrics they are :
Axion Estin:
It is truly meet to bless thee, O Theotokos,
ever blessed, and most pure, and the Mother of our God.
More honorable than the cherubim,
and beyond compare more glorious than the seraphim.
Without corruption thou gavest birth to God the Word.
True Theotokos, we magnify thee.

Christos Anesti:
    Khristos anesti ek nekron,
    Thanato thanaton patisas,
    Kai tis en tis mnimasi
    Zo-in kharisamenos!

Christ is risen from the dead,
    Trampling down death by death,
    And upon those in the tombs
    Bestowing life!

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:45:29 PM »

I would love to buy the CD

Smiley

Does anyone have a link?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 11:43:58 PM »

I would love to buy the CD

Smiley

Does anyone have a link?

http://www.musicarussica.com/discdet.lasso?-database=musrus_cds&-response=discdet.lasso&-layout=CD_Detail&ID=945&-search
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:22:18 AM »

Thank you, SeekingtheTruth! I'm memorizing those lines! I wish the average RCC had these...no, instead we have awful Protestant-like music.. Angry

Myrrh23

I know you didn't exactly spell it out, but it was way too obvious and a bit unnecessary.  I am asking you to tone down your anti-RC lines in the public fora. - Cleveland, GM
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:19:40 AM by cleveland » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 03:31:33 AM »

Thank you.   Smiley

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »

Does she have an english recordings?
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »

Divna is one of my favourite musicians-her singing is simply divine! With what talent she has truly been blessed!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »

They are indeed very nice recordings.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 10:50:09 PM »

Divna's recordings are very nice but I much prefer Roman Hurko's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHi-1taeqeo&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WtsGS6kpDU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFU3LojPuM4

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 10:53:24 PM »

btw... I was blessed to be in that church waaaay back in 1990. Lord, have mercy! How time flies. Smiley

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 01:20:11 AM »

Douglas, the Vydubytsky Ukrainian Orthodox Monastery choir  is truly very beautiful, very reverent. I have recordings of their singing on tapes I purchased in Kyiv and have also visited the church many, many times. My best memory was spending time there with a dear friend with whom I visited for hours on the bench by the church's well. I love monastery wells, there's something very soothing about them.

Every year we'd visit the Botanical Gardens (Vydubytsky Church is at the foot of the gardens). A lovely way to complete a meandering stroll through masses of fragrant lilacs.

But my real favourite church in these gardens is not Vydubytsky, but Ionsky (sp?) Monastery, which is more in the center of the gardens. I loved that church so much. They also have recordings, of which I have their Paschal service.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 10:21:41 AM »

Ah... you're very fortunate to that these beautiful churches so near to you.

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 10:44:50 AM »

Unfortunately, they all are UOC-MP... My wife will spit in my face if I as much as mention them when we are in Kyiv. To any patriotic Ukrainian it's all the Kremlin and the KGB. Sad

Love never fails.
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »

But the music is divine. Wink

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 12:08:24 PM »

Unfortunately, they all are UOC-MP... My wife will spit in my face if I as much as mention them when we are in Kyiv. To any patriotic Ukrainian it's all the Kremlin and the KGB. Sad

Vydubytsky is too Heohij? I was under the distinct impression it wasn't. It seemed to have a very different feel-it felt more "Ukrainian" and so I suspected it belonged to one of the Ukrainian groups (as far as I know it does?). Ionsky, yes, it definitely felt MP in every way. Of which churches does your wife approve? What about St. Elijah's in Podil?  I believe it's Ukrainian, and very old, and very cozy and beautiful!

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 12:33:06 PM »

Vydubytsky is too Heohij? I was under the distinct impression it wasn't. It seemed to have a very different feel-it felt more "Ukrainian" and so I suspected it belonged to one of the Ukrainian groups (as far as I know it does?). Ionsky, yes, it definitely felt MP in every way. Of which churches does your wife approve? What about St. Elijah's in Podil?  I believe it's Ukrainian, and very old, and very cozy and beautiful!

Sorry... you are right, Vydubtsky is KP, I just checked. Smiley

But that remark of mine was ironic, actually, - I do not want to turn this thread into polemics about what Ukrainian churches are of what "status" etc. The music is, indeed, divine!

Love never fails.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 01:22:18 PM »

I own every CD I could lay my hands on.  Absolutely beautiful and soothing.  There's nothing like hymns sung well in Ukrainian!

This past weekend I attended a funeral of an elderly priest.  I have never been to one and it was very interesting.  I have never been to a funeral where I have left more energized than I was when I came.

There were many "American" guests at this funeral, and one lady stopped me in the hall and said that she didn't understand a word of what was said in church, and had never been in an Orthodox church before.  However, it "looked" breathtaking (there were two bishops and a number of priests present) and the sound "transported" her.

Maybe she's a future convert!  Let us hope!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags: Divna music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: