OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:30:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making blini  (Read 1595 times) Average Rating: 0
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« on: February 18, 2008, 07:42:25 PM »

I was asked to make blini for church for the Sunday before Lent begins, since that is the Russian custom.  I've made blini before, but only for my own family, and I am worried that how I do it is wrong...Could someone give me their blini recipe so I can compare it to my own?  I'm not quite sure why they asked me when there are many Russians at church, and I'm only 1/8 Russian and a convert to Orthodoxy!!

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 07:58:02 PM »

Zebu, happy "Maslenitsa" (the traditional Slavic name for this fast-free week)!

I am not quite sure whether there is much difference between the Russian "bliny" and the Ukrainian "nalysnyky" (crepes) - maybe our nalysnyky are a bit thinner, really like Western European crepes. Still, just in case, if you want our Ukrainian recipe, here's one from Joanne Pryhorocki-Potter's web page. I know it's good because my wife makes them pretty much as described:

Cherry Crepes
Genya Prihorodska, Bilivtsi, Ternopil Oblast, Western Ukraine

1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/4 cups milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
oil

Mix together the flour, salt, milk and beat until smooth. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the melted butter and mix again. Let this batter stand for a while. Brush the bottom of a frying pan with oil and put over medium heat until it is just hot but not smoking. Pour about 2 tablespoons crepe batter into pan and quickly tilt the pan in all directions so that the batter covers the pan with a thin film. Fry for about 1 minute. Lift the edge of the crepe to test it for doneness. The crepe is ready to be flipped when it can be shaken loose from the pan.

Flip the crepe and cook for about 30 seconds on the other side. (This side of the crepe is usually a little spotted brown and is the side the filling is put on.) As each crepe is done, spread the filling over the inside and fold the first two sides over each other and then the other two sides over each other. Place the finished crepe carefully on a plate. Keep doing this until all the crepes are made. It is easier to make with two people working. One makes the crepes, one fills the crepes.

Use home canned pie cherries that have been drained of liquid for the filling.

http://pages.prodigy.net/l.hodges/jp-rec.htm

Love never fails.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:45:55 PM »

Oh, this sounds delicious!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 10:37:17 PM »

Oh, this sounds delicious!

It really is! And the thing is, you don't have to make it sweet, dessert-style - instead of cherries, you can stuff your "bliny" or "nalysnyky" with something else, even with salty stuffing. Russians made "bliny" with caviar!!! (Just imagine, gulping, bottoms-up, a glass of ice-cold fine vodka and then eating a big "blin" stuffed with the glistening ice-cold sturgeon or Beluga caviar... some people did know how to live...Smiley

Love never fails.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:47:59 AM »

My favorite are little mini one with a dollop of cream and a spoonful of caviar. YUMMMY!

Joseph
Tags: recipe Food 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: