OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:32:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Study Bible: OO and EO Perspectives  (Read 15817 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 01:39:08 PM »

Hi All,

Personally, I really appreciate the OSB... it's the only Bible I've owned where the Old Testament meant more than a historical footnote for the New. Maybe that is because of my own ignorance of the Scriptures but I still have to say that the OSB notes have been wonderful for me. I love the Old Testament translation because it seems more 'Christ-focused' when I read it. It just seems like I can see Christ in the pages better.

Anyways I'm thankful for the labor done for this offering to the English-Speaking Orthodox Church.

God Bless.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2008, 03:01:24 PM »

Whoever merged this with another thread, thank you for doing that.  After reading through these reviews and some others, the critiques seem to come from those who are possess a highly technical knowledge of the Scriptures, which I lack. 

I think that the simple commentary is just what I need in these simple times of faith and learning as a catechumen.  Most of my pursuit of Christ up to this point in my life has been intellectual, so I think that think that a study Bible that is less cerebral is just what the doctor ordered.  I'll go ahead and hop over and order this Bible.  May I use it faithfully!
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2008, 04:41:47 PM »

Maybe so.  But my original point was that the text of the OSB is somewhat inadequate and I think my example at least raises concern that the OSB contains similar textual corruptions to that of many modern Protestant translations such as the NIV.  I still prefer the KJV.  I also like the Douay Rheims ** ducks head and dodges tomatos being thrown **.

The EOB seems quite intriguing but I'm sure they're seeking much more qualified people than me.

The EOB and the OSB seem to take a similar approach to Matthew 18:26:

EOB: 26 At this, the servant fell down on his knees before him, saying: ‘Lord, have
patience with me, and I will repay you all!’

See this, especially the table on page 22.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:48:47 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2008, 06:13:46 PM »

Let's compare a similar passage:

Mat 2:11
OSB: . . . and fell down and worshipped Him.

TR: . . .και πεσοντες προσεκυνησαν αυτω . . .

In this case the OSB translates both words; "fell down" and "worshipped"

Why then in Mat 18:26 does it only translate one of the words?
Mat 18:26
OSB:  The servant therefore fell down before him . .
TR: . . .πεσων ουν ο δουλος προσεκυνει αυτω
KJV:  The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him

I missed this the first time around, but I can explain why there is a difference. The problem is that the word "worship" in English means something both more abstract and more specific than the Greek word. If you look at the context of the two passages, in the first it is clear that the English meaning is what is meant. In the second case the servant's intent towards his master is surely not meant to be the same as that of the magi towards Jesus; it means specifically his posture of submission. That's why the NASB says "So the slave fell to the ground and prostrated himself before him".
stewie

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2008, 11:48:26 AM »

As someone who reads this book (almost) every day, and read the last one (NT only) as well, I have to say that the NT notes are MUCH improved.  OT notes are spotty, but that is to be expected for such a huge project.  Overall there is not much to complain about.  They did a great job with it, IMO.

I find some notes useless, and some very illuminating.  Nothing is going to satisfy everyone, as we are all at different stages in our understanding.

For someone who is building an understanding of Orthodoxy, this is a must-have.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »

Being new to Orthodoxy, the OSB has been very helpful. I enjoy the quotes from the Church Fathers, and I especially like the Marion typology. I spent 20years steeped in Protestantism (Calvinism, etc), and I never recognized all the profound mystical typology in the Bible! How do Protestants miss this?

I do wish there were more in depth doctrinal notes and articles. For example, I am anxious to know the Orthodox doctrines regarding election and predestination. Also, I wish there were notes clarifying the Orthodox teaching about the giants spoken of in Genesis 6, and other things like this.

But over all, I think it is a beautiful and helpful Bible. Perhaps somebody somewhere is working on an Oriental Orthodox Study Bible? I would love that!!!

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2009, 08:38:24 PM »

It's me again, resurrecting ancient threads  Grin, but I have to ask, does the New Testament in this particular bible come from the KJV?

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
cholmes

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »

It's me again, resurrecting ancient threads  Grin, but I have to ask, does the New Testament in this particular bible come from the KJV?

I believe it's the NKJV.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 12:12:01 AM »

I believe it's the NKJV.

Yes, and supposedly it was because of copyright issues of the publisher.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2009, 12:24:35 AM »

I believe it's the NKJV.
That's what I thought and it baffles me. Why would the EO use a Protestant translation?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:25:43 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009, 12:44:49 AM »

I believe it's the NKJV.
That's what I thought and it baffles me. Why would the EO use a Protestant translation?

Because one EO guy (a deacon, I belive) is someone important in Thomas Nelson, Inc.
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 01:02:58 AM »

But over all, I think it is a beautiful and helpful Bible. Perhaps somebody somewhere is working on an Oriental Orthodox Study Bible? I would love that!!!

Gebre Menfes Kidus, here you can find an Amharic/English version of the Ethiopian Bible (New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs so far). Maybe it's not an Oriental Orthodox Study Bible, but still interesting.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:09:35 AM by Michał » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »

I believe it's the NKJV.

Well, for starters it was the quickest way to get a Bible out. Second, the owner of Thomas Nelson is an Orthodox Christian and allowed his patent to be used w/o royalties.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2009, 10:31:29 PM »

I believe it's the NKJV.

It would be nice to see an EO-NKJV New Testament.

Something like the RC-RSV........but EO.

JNORM888

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2009, 11:27:51 PM »

I was REALLY dissapointed with the Old Testament notes. I was so excited to finally get my hands on a Bible with the full Orthodox canon (I had only read Protestant Bibles in the past), ripped open the box from Amazon, flipped opened the book and was like "WHAT?! This is IT?!"

Most Orthodox Christians are pretty ignorant when it comes to Old Testament text to begin with, so I was saddened to see that this just reinforced the idea that the Old Testament isn't worth paying that much attention to.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2009, 11:36:30 PM »

We're very pleased with the OSB. My wife and I greatly appreciated the years of work that went into this massive project. I recognize that there are some issues (and there will always be nay-sayers) but all in all... it's a great tool for study and for evangelism.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2009, 12:08:13 AM »

I was REALLY dissapointed with the Old Testament notes. I was so excited to finally get my hands on a Bible with the full Orthodox canon (I had only read Protestant Bibles in the past), ripped open the box from Amazon, flipped opened the book and was like "WHAT?! This is IT?!"

Most Orthodox Christians are pretty ignorant when it comes to Old Testament text to begin with, so I was saddened to see that this just reinforced the idea that the Old Testament isn't worth paying that much attention to.

While the OT notes are not in depth, I do find that it does an excellent job pointing out the typology and prophetic analogies of Our Lady and Our Lord. As a former Protestant, I had never seen all these profound truths that are replete throughout the OT. So, I think it is a worthy Bible for that fact alone.

Selam

Keble
Archon

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2009, 01:44:09 PM »

One hates to have to point these things out:

• The KJV is also a Protestant translation. In fact, the only totally non-Prot translations from the ancient languages are the NAB and the (N)JB.
  • The final editions of the RSV do have the whole Orthodox canon, as does (I believe) the equivalent edition of the NRSV.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2009, 02:46:12 PM »

One hates to have to point these things out:

• The KJV is also a Protestant translation. In fact, the only totally non-Prot translations from the ancient languages are the NAB and the (N)JB.
  • The final editions of the RSV do have the whole Orthodox canon, as does (I believe) the equivalent edition of the NRSV.

The NAB is a Catholic translation, right? By the way, who is the fellow in your avatar? might it be Cramer. Please forgive my ignorance

Keble
Archon

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »

The NAB is a Catholic translation, right?

Yes. It's terrible.

By the way, who is the fellow in your avatar? might it be Cramer.

It is indeed Cramner.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2009, 12:19:44 PM »

The NAB is a Catholic translation, right?

Yes. It's terrible.

By the way, who is the fellow in your avatar? might it be Cramer.

It is indeed Cramner.

Oh o.k., That's what I thought and sorry I got the spelling wrong. police And can you tell me why the NAB is a terrible translation?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:21:12 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

Keble
Archon

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2009, 10:59:43 PM »

Mostly it's because the English is abominable, but it also has some decided adventurism. For instance, in several places it re-orders the text; an example is found in Isaiah 41, which has verses 6 & 7 of Isaiah 40 inserted after verse 20. Neuhaus said of it, "It succeeds in being, at the same time, loose, stilted, breezy, vulgar, opaque, and relentlessly averse to literary grace."
jwinch2

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2011, 03:48:36 PM »

I apologize for performing such an appalling case of thread necromancy here but I am hoping to get a bit of additional insight on this Bible.  As a bit of background, I am Catholic in the Latin Rite and am in the process of engaging in some serious Bible study.  I have a couple of Bible commentaries (Ingatius Catholic Study Bible and the New Jerome Commentary) and am getting ready to pick up the Navarre Study Bible series as well as the Ignatius Old Testament when that comes out.  

What I would like to do is pick up a good study Bible from the Eastern perspective.  I recognize that the OSB is not going to be supportive of all of the traditions from the Latin Rite but and I can handle that.  I am hoping that you will be able to provide a recommendation as to whether this would be a good product for me to have or, if not, is there something better?  I am hoping that having the perspective of Orthodox Christianity will help to enhance my understanding of Sacred Scripture in the light of Church teaching.  Some of the reviews I have read on Amazon and the like have led me to believe that the study notes may not be truly representative of Eastern teaching when it comes to the Bible.  However, many of those commenting were admittedly non-Orthodox or even Eastern Catholics so I am trying to take their comments with a grain of salt.  Having said that, there will obviously be real Orthodox Christians on this forum so I thought I could get a good review here.  

So with that in mind.  Is it a good Bible?  Are the notes correct in representing Eastern Tradition and Orthodox teaching?  Are they detailed when it comes to spiritual understanding or are they focused more on the literal sense?  

Also, based on the earlier comments on the NAB and I guess now with the NABRE my friends and I joke from time to time that we hope they come out with a Catholic Edition at some point...  Wink

Thank you very much in advance and may God bless all of you!

Jason
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:00:34 PM by jwinch2 » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2013, 11:43:16 PM »

Does anyone or has anyone ever really used the OSB?  I will be honest, I got one and was super excited about having it, but it seems to be about on the same level as many of my other bibles.  I guess my biggest fear is the pages are so super thin.  The last bible I had with paper this thin I tore several pages by accident just flipping through.  I just ordered a RSV-CE and will compare the two.  Maybe I am missing something in the OSB to see how good it is.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2013, 12:10:34 AM »

It's definitely lacking in notes and commentary on an Orthodox examination of issues like predestination and election, but it still has lots of other wonderful Orthodox commentary. I'm not a fan of the translation, but I still use my OSB as my primary Bible.

Selam

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2013, 12:20:33 AM »

It's definitely lacking in notes and commentary on an Orthodox examination of issues like predestination and election, but it still has lots of other wonderful Orthodox commentary. I'm not a fan of the translation, but I still use my OSB as my primary Bible.

Selam

Have you ever used an RSV-CE?  I was going to get the RSV-2CE from Ignatius, but I like the thees and thous and words of Jesus in red so I with St. Benedicts press.

Don't get me wrong, I like the OSB.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:22:12 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2013, 12:37:08 AM »

What is the appeal of the words in red exactly? I understand the criticism of that approach, but have never really thought about possible advantages.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2013, 12:47:44 AM »

What is the appeal of the words in red exactly? I understand the criticism of that approach, but have never really thought about possible advantages.

It is just a tool.  I do not really know why I like it other than it is what I am used to seeing.  It makes it easier to find certain things when I am looking for them.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:50:01 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Tags: Orthodox Study Bible Septuagint 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: