OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 11:03:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Study Bible: OO and EO Perspectives  (Read 15336 times) Average Rating: 0
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: February 18, 2008, 12:32:29 PM »

The Orthodox Study Bible is out and on an initial peruse of the Bible I note the following.  It is a nice read with large type easier to read for those like myself who are older.  Articles are interesting.  I was surprised it did not have a concordance frequently found in most  study Bibles. It has a nice dictionary at the end, a study for home use Lectionary, and continues to have an abbreviated morning and evening prayer office to use in the back of the bible. Its use of the holy fathers seems to be relegated to citing the Orthodox Church teaching and then citing the Church fathers who support that interpretation. It does include all Orthodox  Canon that is generally accepted by both Slavic and Byzantines Churches. The Psalter reads still like the  New King James but does have the numbering corrected to  Orthodox practice, without a line by line comparison, I can not determine how the translation falls out.  The text is easily readable and grammar syntax looks good throughout.

I assume that as in its predecessor the New Testament Study Bible there will be some controversy but in all it is a good starting place for an English version of the Septuagint for Orthodox Bible studies, but don't throw away those commentaries that you may own by the Holy Fathers. As a starting place it is a good start, hopefully in future editions  there will be additional material and cometary added.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 03:03:05 PM »

So tell us a bit about it.  Who publishes it?
The St. Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology (http://www.saaot.edu/aboutus.php)

How much does it cost?
$49.99 USD before any retailer markdowns

General Information:
Old Testament Text: St. Athanasius Academy Septuagint (© 2008 by St. Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology)
New Testament Text:  New King James Version (© 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.)

What are your first impressions?
An Orthodox translation of the Old Testament from the Septuagint certainly has to be considered an excellent place to start.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 03:53:40 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:57:19 PM »

I don't like the quality of the paper. I miss the scripture refences in the middle of the page.

But outside of that I like it.

I really love the notes. Some of the notes and commentary of the New Testament were redone. I thought the notes were really good and alot deeper.

But I only had it for two days, but so far I like it. They made use of 49 Church Fathers and Mothers(well, maybe one mother). They also made use of the 7 Church wide councils & the Churches Liturgical Calander.

This Study Bible is unique. It has a different feel than other Study Bibles. Maybe it's because they tried to stress the liturgical year. I don't know, but it is unique.

The Theme of this Study BIBLE focused on the TRINITY, The INCARNATION, The CHURCH, and God's call to live a Virtuous life.

It was cool to see how they pulled out from the Text these themes from Genesis to Revelations.

JNORM888
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:13:00 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:14:26 AM »

I don't like the quality of the paper.

JNORM888

whats wrong with the paper? is it bible paper? copier paper, laser printer paper?

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:19:54 AM »

I wonder if they will publish the OT by itself, already have a hard cover and leather editions...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 12:34:23 AM »

whats wrong with the paper? is it bible paper? copier paper, laser printer paper?
I imagine Bible paper being a rather thin stock, thinner than what is used in most books.  If I'm right about what Bible paper is, then I would say this is what the OSB uses.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 02:59:18 PM »

The paper quality isn't as good as the New Testament OSB. Maybe the leather back will be different.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 12:13:52 AM »

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but why do Bibles generally have very thin, delicate paper?  As much as they are handled and read (hopefully), why are they not generally printed with heavier, more durable stock?  Production costs or a way of keeping the thickness of the Bible a manageable size?

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 12:37:42 AM »

I imagine it's so you don't have to lug a forty-pound book to church every week.

Actually, a lot of my college literature texts had the same paper for a very similar reason.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 09:23:19 AM »

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but why do Bibles generally have very thin, delicate paper?  As much as they are handled and read (hopefully), why are they not generally printed with heavier, more durable stock?  Production costs or a way of keeping the thickness of the Bible a manageable size?

Actually it is two fold:
1) the paper is thin and lightweight to hold down the weight on the  person who carries, reads, and handles the Bible
2) the paper is more durable and less prone to aging and becoming fragile (more easily torn or become yellow due to age) a plus in a bible that is used and read frequently. 

By the way if you are someone who likes to mark passages in scripture with highlighter, make sure to get a marker that is specifically made for Bibles as they will color only the surface and do not soak thru on the other side of the Bible page ruining the other page for future marking of significant passages.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 09:45:13 AM »

2) the paper is more durable and less prone to aging and becoming fragile (more easily torn or become yellow due to age) a plus in a bible that is used and read frequently. 

By the way if you are someone who likes to mark passages in scripture with highlighter, make sure to get a marker that is specifically made for Bibles as they will color only the surface and do not soak thru on the other side of the Bible page ruining the other page for future marking of significant passages.

You mean the thinner paper is actually stronger?  I suppose it does have a certain resilience.  Never thought of that but it makes sense. 

Thank you for the tip on highlighting Thomas.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 11:15:37 AM »

This is what I wrote on my blog about the full OSB.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/search/label/scripture

The Orthodox Study BIBLE

The New Full Orthodox Study Bible is out. I just got my hardback copy today. The quality of the paper isn't as good as the New Testament version that came out 15 years ago, but it's decent enough. I'm just happy that it finally came out.
This version of the OSB has a fresh English translation of the Septuaginet text. They used the Alfred Rahlfs edition of the greek text as the basis for the english translation. They also used Brentons british translation of the greek text as a reference. The Old Testament Masoretic text of the NKJV was used as a template. Meaning Thomas Nelson publishers allowed them to use their english wording of the Old Testament whereever the LXX and Masoretic text were in agreement. It has 49 books in the Old Testament(about 3 more than Rome's) and 27 books in the New Testament. Because the Old Testament is the LXX the placing of the books are gonna be where they were in the greek LXX. Psalms has an extra chapter in the LXX and the book of Daniel is slightly longer as well. 2nd Chronicles(2nd Paraleipomenon) is longer due to the prayer of Manasseh. The New Testament is the NKJV and is mostly the same as the previous study Bible except for the addition of more patristic quotes and liturgical reference marks.
The notes and commentary of the OSB emphasizes the major themes of the Christian Faith.
Primary attention was given to:
1.) The HOLY TRINITY
2.) The Incarnation
3.) The Centrality of the Church
4.) And the call to live a virtuous life
The Biblical interpretations of the Church Fathers of the first 1,000 years of the church was used as well as the 7 Ecumenical Councils. Also added was the liturgical and prayer cycle of the Church Calender. Certain scriptures are read during certain times of the Church year, and these are marked in the notes.
The preface shows a chart of the Orthodox, Roman Catholic and Protestant old Testaments and it shows where they differ on certain points. The preface also shows the Patristic Fathers(They used about 49 different church fathers) and councils they quoted, as well as their abbreviations. They also give a brief run down of the Old Testament of the Early Church and of each book in the Bible(Both old and new) after that it ends with a short description of Church History. Starting with the New Testament era and ending with modern times and the Orthodox Church today.
Over all I'm just happy that it finally came out. Hopefully the leather back edition will have better quality paper.

For more information about the Full Orthodox Study Bible one can go to the Orthodox study website at:

http://orthodoxstudybible.com/

Also hear Father Gillquist talk about the full version of the OSB at this poodcast:

http://audio.ancientfaith.com/interviews/osb_pc.mp3

The combination of the LXX and textus receptus makes it easier to trace some of the New Testament quotes. I know in my study of Romans chapter 9 I noticed Paul quoting the lxx alot. Now I have a fresh english tranlation of the lxx to go to when trying to trace Old Testament quotes found in the New Testament.

JNORM888
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:19:08 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »

My little review, which has some things in common with what's been mentioned already, is HERE.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 09:55:26 PM »

My new OSB just came in today.  I haven't had a lot of time to peruse it but so far so good.  I'm anxious to get a little more into it when time permits.
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 09:43:59 PM »

My wife got to looking at my Bible and now she has ordered one for herself also. 
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 10:04:24 PM »

I haven't ordered one yet, but I'm going to.  The reviews look pretty good.  I suppose it will be a few years before we get anything better, as these are serious endeavors.  At least it's getting done in Engilsh!

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 10:15:21 PM »

My roommate was fortunate enough to get the last one last night (that's what I get for being late to Vesper's).  I've perused over it several times today and I love it!  Words cannot express how fortunate we English speakers are to have this in our arsenal of Spiritual Warfare!!  I really cannot wait to have my own, but in the meantime my roomie (who, for those of y'all who don't know, is none other than Nacho) has graciously kept it out on the dining room table.  

In addition to the request for a concordance and center column references, I'd like to request BIGGER PRINT.  If you don't currently require reading glasses, you will after reading a few chapters.  And for those of you hoping for better quality with the leather addition; it's really fine like onion paper.  And yes, it has the gold edging.  

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
falafel333
Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 12:17:57 AM »

Just got mine in the mail today and I got some quick questions:
What happened to 4 Maccabees?
I know that the text of the Old Testament from the NKJV was edited to conform to the Septuagint, does anyone know whether any editing was done to the text of the New Testament from the NKJV?
Were the deuterocanonical books translated from scratch or was an existing text edited to produce the current version?
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 05:37:09 PM »

As I understand it, 4 Maccabees is not uniformly accepted by the whole Church.  I do not know why, as I've never read it (just the first three), nor any reasons for its exclusion by some.

This was a translation from scratch of the whole Septuagint.  It is one of the first ones to come around in a long time, though the EOB is also a translation of the Church's text.

Also, there's Peter Papoutsis.

I've not examined either of these other works.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 05:59:46 PM »

though the EOB is also a translation of the Church's text.

The EOB (at least for the moment) is just a modern language version of Brenton's translation, which for a number of reasons cannot be considered genuinely Septuagint.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 08:30:34 PM »

One thing I thing an Orthodox Study Bible should have, and I hope maybe will in later editions, is the definitions of the Seven Ecumenical Councils in an appendix, with supporting scriptural references.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 08:32:57 PM »

Just got mine in the mail today and I got some quick questions:
What happened to 4 Maccabees?
I know that the text of the Old Testament from the NKJV was edited to conform to the Septuagint, does anyone know whether any editing was done to the text of the New Testament from the NKJV?
Were the deuterocanonical books translated from scratch or was an existing text edited to produce the current version?

Actually, the Russian Church is the one Church (except, as always, the Ethiopians) that has 4 Maccabbees.  The Romanian Bible included it in the 17th cent. ed., but not the 20th cent. ed. (she went from slavocentric to grecocentric).

As I understand it, 4 Maccabees is not uniformly accepted by the whole Church.  I do not know why, as I've never read it (just the first three), nor any reasons for its exclusion by some.

It is available in the Oxford Study Bible, and worth the read.  It shows direct parallels to the thoughts of the Gospels (for instance, that the dead are alive to God, cf. 4Macc 16:25 "They knew also that those who die for the sake of God live in God, as do Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the patriarchs" and Mat. 22:32).
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 08:43:22 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 02:31:02 AM »

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

If interested, I wanted to share this watershed moment of Christianity with all of you (something I have waited for most of my adult life):  The Publication of the first translation of the Orthodox Septuagint into modern English along with notes illuminating the ancient Orthodox Faith.

Some highlights of this Bible for me, as an Armenian Orthodox Christian, are:

1.  The numbering of the Psalms reflect the ancient Tradition of the Universal Church, as maintained traditionally by the Greek, Latin, Coptic, Syriac, Armenian, Slavic and other ancient Churches.

2.  The fuller Old Testament Canon including the book of 3 Maccabees, 1 & 2 Ezra, the Prayer of Manasseh and the 151st Psalm (which appear in ancient and modern Armenian Church Canons).  These books are not placed in an ostracized section (as in some Bibles), but in a Traditional, Canonical order reflecting their respective genre and meaning.

3.  The removal of a paragraph in the original Orthodox Study Bible (OSB) New Testament which called into question the Orthodoxy of the Oriental Orthodox Communion (including the Coptic, Syriac, Armenian and Indian Churches).  The OSB is now truly meant for the use of ALL ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS, and can even be very helpful for Eastern and Latin Catholics.

4.  The Septuagint (abbreviated LXX) was translated by Jews 200 years before Christ, roughly 600 years before St. Jerome's Latin Vulgate and 1000 years before the Hebrew Masoretic Text -the text which serves as the basis for ALL modern English Old Testament Translations whether Catholic or Protestant.  The Christological prophesies which are lost (or disorted) in the Masoretic are fully evident in the LXX.  This was the primary Old Testament of the great Fathers of the Church.

5.  Numerous notes from ancient Christian Fathers of the Church who's works were among the first to be translated into Armenian by our Holy Translators -following that of the Holy Scriptures (see the list of them below).

6.  Not only is the Septuagint the primary Text used by our Holy Translators Sahag and Mesrob to make the Armenian Version known as the "Queen of All Translations," but it was THE OLD TESTAMENT text used by the Apostles themselves as they were inspired by the Holy Spirit to write the New Testament. WHAT MORE COULD WE ASK FOR IN AN ENGLISH OLD TESTAMENT TRANSLATION???

7.  Based on the above this translation has the potential to become THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH translation of the Orthodox Church of Armenia in the U.S. and other English speaking countries.

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light
Sdn. Lazarus W. Der-Ghazarian

The OSB can be purchased on-line at:  http://orthodoxstudybible.com/

---------------------------

***Background on the Saint Athanasius Academy Septuagint (SAAS) and the Orthodox Study Bible from the editors:

THE FIRST EVER Orthodox Study Bible presents the Bible of the early Church and the Church of the early Bible.  Believers of the Orthodox Christian faith now have a clear and compelling study resource enabling them to delve into the riches of Holy Scripture.  Prepared by a pan-Orthodox team of scholars and pastors, the Orthodox Study Bile brings to one volume the words of Scripture and the understanding of those words form the earliest days of the Christian era.  More importantly, the Bible is a treasury of Christian commentary for all Christians of the twenty-first century.

The great voices of the historic Church were such luminaries as Ignatius of Antioch, Irenaeus of Lyons, Hippolytus, Athanasius, John Chrysostom, Nicholas of Myra, Basil the Great, Gregory of Nazianzus, Gregory of Nyssa, John Cassian, John of Damascus, and Maximos the Confessor.  Grounded in the Scriptures and inspired by the Holy Spirit, these and numerous others like them were the teachers, preachers, pastors and defenders of the Truth of Christianity in the first millennium of Christian history.  These were the voice of early Christianity, the leaders of the Orthodox Church.

The Orthodox Christian faith is the face of the ancient Church to the modern world and is the second largest body of Christians in the world.  In this first of its kind study Bible, you'll find commentary from the ancient Christian perspective, with sources seldom cited in contemporary study Bibles, sources that shine with heavenly insight.  The OSB was prepared to make this treasury of biblical commentary available to Orthodox believers.  And abundance of additional helps and articles is provided to encourage Christians to become people of informed faith and people of prayer.

But this bible is not just for Orthodox Christians.  Countless otters will find the OSB an invaluable road map for their spiritual journey.  Those exploring Christianity for the first time and those Christians wanting to discover their own spiritual roots will see this Bible as a source of inspiration and challenge.

Features include:  Old Testament from the St. Athanasius Academy Septuagint with Deuterocanon (SAAS); New Testament from the New King James Version (NKJV); Insightful commentary drawn from the Christian writers and teachers of the first ten centuries after Christ; Introduction and outline to each book of the Bible; Helpful notes relating Scripture to seasons of Christian feasting and fasting; And exhaustive subject index to the study notes to facilitate Bible Study; Lectionary to guide your bible reading through the Church year; Morning and Evening prayers;  Supplemental Bible Study articles such as:  Overview of the Books of the Bible; The bible God's Revelation of Man; How to Read the Bible; Saints of the Old Testament; the Sermon on the Mount; Christology; Beautiful full color icons;

The last decade of the twentieth century saw an historic event.  In 1993, the Orthodox Study Bible :  New Testament and Psalms was released, the first English Bible with study material reflecting how the early Christians interpreted and applied the Bible to their lives.  Christians from both the Eastern and Western traditions found a source of Bible study that provided light for their spiritual journeys.   English-speaking Orthodox Christians -whether converts for from Greek, Russian, Arab, Serbian, Bulgarian, Coptic, Armenian or any other Eastern Orthodox parentage -found the biblical roots of their faith in words fresh and powerful. Christians from non-Orthodox traditions glimpsed a faith experience that rang true and enriched their won Christian experience.

The necessity of answering popular demand pressed upon the editors of the New Testament edition the task of preparing an edition of the Orthodox Study Bible with both the Old and New Testaments.  So they undertook the task of preparing a biblical text suitable for the purpose.  The decision was made that the notes and commentary which address the biblical text would emphasize the major themes of the Christian faith.

Thus, the notes give primary attention to:
1.  The Holy Trinity:  Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
2.  The Incarnation :  the Divine Son of God becoming Man
3.  The Centrality of the Church, the "dwelling place of God in the Spirit" (Eph 2:22)
4.  The Virtues:  God's call to His people to live righteous and holy lives in Christ.

To attain these goals, specific attention was given to the biblical interpretations of the Fathers of the ancient and undivided Church, and to the consensus of the Seven Ecumenical or Church-wide Councils of Christendom, held from the fourth to eighth centuries. Other helps were added to provide the Bible reader every opportunity to employ the Bible not only in study, but also in contemplative Bible reading and prayer.

The prayer of the editors and contributors of The Orthodox Study Bible is that it presents an understandable Bible text and commentary to (1) English-speaking Orthodox Christians the world over and to (2) non-Orthodox readers interested in learning more about the faith of the historic Orthodox Church.

"At last! A study Bible that integrates the Old Testament with the worshipping life of the Church Among the several approaches to the biblical text which Orthodoxy has manifested and permitted over the centuries literal, symbolic or a mix of both  this one follows the more symbolic tradition.  It's the only resource I know of that relates the Old Testament to the theology, liturgy, lectionary and Fathers of Christian antiquity.  Christians of all back grounds  -Orthodox, Catholic and Protestants- will see Christ as the key that unites the whole of Christian tradition through an integrated understand of its parts." -Bradley Nassif, Professor Biblical and Theological Studies, North Park University (Chicago).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:36:58 AM by Ghazar » Logged

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
Ghazar

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 02:42:22 AM »

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

If interested, I wanted to share this watershed moment of Christianity with all of you (something I have waited for most of my adult life):  The Publication of the first translation of the Orthodox Septuagint into modern English along with notes illuminating the ancient Orthodox Faith.

Some highlights of this Bible for me, as an Armenian Orthodox Christian, are:

1.  The numbering of the Psalms reflect the ancient Tradition of the Universal Church, as maintained traditionally by the Greek, Latin, Coptic, Syriac, Armenian, Slavic and other ancient Churches.

2.  The fuller Old Testament Canon including the book of 3 Maccabees, 1 & 2 Ezra, the Prayer of Manasseh and the 151st Psalm (which appear in ancient and modern Armenian Church Canons).  These books are not placed in an ostracized section (as in some Bibles), but in a Traditional, Canonical order reflecting their respective genre and meaning.

3.  The removal of a paragraph in the original Orthodox Study Bible (OSB) New Testament which called into question the Orthodoxy of the Oriental Orthodox Communion (including the Coptic, Syriac, Armenian and Indian Churches).  The OSB is now truly meant for the use of ALL ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS, and can even be very helpful for Eastern and Latin Catholics.

4.  The Septuagint (abbreviated LXX) was translated by Jews 200 years before Christ, roughly 600 years before St. Jerome's Latin Vulgate and 1000 years before the Hebrew Masoretic Text -the text which serves as the basis for ALL modern English Old Testament Translations whether Catholic or Protestant.  The Christological prophesies which are lost (or disorted) in the Masoretic are fully evident in the LXX.  This was the primary Old Testament of the great Fathers of the Church.

5.  Numerous notes from ancient Christian Fathers of the Church who's works were among the first to be translated into Armenian by our Holy Translators -following that of the Holy Scriptures (see the list of them below).

6.  Not only is the Septuagint the primary Text used by our Holy Translators Sahag and Mesrob to make the Armenian Version known as the "Queen of All Translations," but it was THE OLD TESTAMENT text used by the Apostles themselves as they were inspired by the Holy Spirit to write the New Testament. WHAT MORE COULD WE ASK FOR IN AN ENGLISH OLD TESTAMENT TRANSLATION???

7.  Based on the above this translation has the potential to become THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH translation of the Orthodox Church of Armenia in the U.S. and other English speaking countries.

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light
Sdn. Lazarus W. Der-Ghazarian

The OSB can be purchased on-line at:  http://orthodoxstudybible.com/

---------------------------

***Background on the Saint Athanasius Academy Septuagint (SAAS) and the Orthodox Study Bible from the editors:

THE FIRST EVER Orthodox Study Bible presents the Bible of the early Church and the Church of the early Bible.  Believers of the Orthodox Christian faith now have a clear and compelling study resource enabling them to delve into the riches of Holy Scripture.  Prepared by a pan-Orthodox team of scholars and pastors, the Orthodox Study Bile brings to one volume the words of Scripture and the understanding of those words form the earliest days of the Christian era.  More importantly, the Bible is a treasury of Christian commentary for all Christians of the twenty-first century.

The great voices of the historic Church were such luminaries as Ignatius of Antioch, Irenaeus of Lyons, Hippolytus, Athanasius, John Chrysostom, Nicholas of Myra, Basil the Great, Gregory of Nazianzus, Gregory of Nyssa, John Cassian, John of Damascus, and Maximos the Confessor.  Grounded in the Scriptures and inspired by the Holy Spirit, these and numerous others like them were the teachers, preachers, pastors and defenders of the Truth of Christianity in the first millennium of Christian history.  These were the voice of early Christianity, the leaders of the Orthodox Church.

The Orthodox Christian faith is the face of the ancient Church to the modern world and is the second largest body of Christians in the world.  In this first of its kind study Bible, you'll find commentary from the ancient Christian perspective, with sources seldom cited in contemporary study Bibles, sources that shine with heavenly insight.  The OSB was prepared to make this treasury of biblical commentary available to Orthodox believers.  And abundance of additional helps and articles is provided to encourage Christians to become people of informed faith and people of prayer.

But this bible is not just for Orthodox Christians.  Countless otters will find the OSB an invaluable road map for their spiritual journey.  Those exploring Christianity for the first time and those Christians wanting to discover their own spiritual roots will see this Bible as a source of inspiration and challenge.

Features include:  Old Testament from the St. Athanasius Academy Septuagint with Deuterocanon (SAAS); New Testament from the New King James Version (NKJV); Insightful commentary drawn from the Christian writers and teachers of the first ten centuries after Christ; Introduction and outline to each book of the Bible; Helpful notes relating Scripture to seasons of Christian feasting and fasting; And exhaustive subject index to the study notes to facilitate Bible Study; Lectionary to guide your bible reading through the Church year; Morning and Evening prayers;  Supplemental Bible Study articles such as:  Overview of the Books of the Bible; The bible God's Revelation of Man; How to Read the Bible; Saints of the Old Testament; the Sermon on the Mount; Christology; Beautiful full color icons;

The last decade of the twentieth century saw an historic event.  In 1993, the Orthodox Study Bible :  New Testament and Psalms was released, the first English Bible with study material reflecting how the early Christians interpreted and applied the Bible to their lives.  Christians from both the Eastern and Western traditions found a source of Bible study that provided light for their spiritual journeys.   English-speaking Orthodox Christians -whether converts for from Greek, Russian, Arab, Serbian, Bulgarian, Coptic, Armenian or any other Eastern Orthodox parentage -found the biblical roots of their faith in words fresh and powerful. Christians from non-Orthodox traditions glimpsed a faith experience that rang true and enriched their won Christian experience.

The necessity of answering popular demand pressed upon the editors of the New Testament edition the task of preparing an edition of the Orthodox Study Bible with both the Old and New Testaments.  So they undertook the task of preparing a biblical text suitable for the purpose.  The decision was made that the notes and commentary which address the biblical text would emphasize the major themes of the Christian faith.

Thus, the notes give primary attention to:
1.  The Holy Trinity:  Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
2.  The Incarnation :  the Divine Son of God becoming Man
3.  The Centrality of the Church, the "dwelling place of God in the Spirit" (Eph 2:22)
4.  The Virtues:  God's call to His people to live righteous and holy lives in Christ.

To attain these goals, specific attention was given to the biblical interpretations of the Fathers of the ancient and undivided Church, and to the consensus of the Seven Ecumenical or Church-wide Councils of Christendom, held from the fourth to eighth centuries. Other helps were added to provide the Bible reader every opportunity to employ the Bible not only in study, but also in contemplative Bible reading and prayer.

The prayer of the editors and contributors of The Orthodox Study Bible is that it presents an understandable Bible text and commentary to (1) English-speaking Orthodox Christians the world over and to (2) non-Orthodox readers interested in learning more about the faith of the historic Orthodox Church.

"At last! A study Bible that integrates the Old Testament with the worshipping life of the Church Among the several approaches to the biblical text which Orthodoxy has manifested and permitted over the centuries literal, symbolic or a mix of both  this one follows the more symbolic tradition.  It's the only resource I know of that relates the Old Testament to the theology, liturgy, lectionary and Fathers of Christian antiquity.  Christians of all back grounds  -Orthodox, Catholic and Protestants- will see Christ as the key that unites the whole of Christian tradition through an integrated understand of its parts." -Bradley Nassif, Professor Biblical and Theological Studies, North Park University (Chicago).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:54:35 AM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 06:51:53 PM »

Thanks for posting this Ghazar!

I've been thinking it would be nice to have a discussion on how the new OSB is being received by the OO's, so I'd like to orient the discussion toward that end.

I know that at my church, people are so happy about it.  Imagine, a Bible in English that is like the one translated by Sts. Sahag and Mesrob in the early fifth century!  A lot of people are buying it from our church bookstore.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:55:05 AM by Salpy » Logged

Ghazar

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 08:00:45 PM »

Dear Sister in Christ,

That's good to hear about your parish being so receptive.  What parish is that by the way?  It is too early to tell in my parish.  Although I have made it my personal mission to make knowledge of it as widespread as possible.  Lord willing many will use it.  I also contacted Fr. Daniel Findikyan, Dean of St. Nersess Armenian Seminary in NY.  He was very excited to hear of its completion and publication.  Lord willing our new Seminarians will begin using it at St. Nersess and beyond.

Fare well dear sister,
Sdn. Ghazar
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:55:25 AM by Salpy » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 01:38:46 AM »

Sorry for posting 6 months after the last post - I purchased 2 OSB's and enjoy reading the OSB (the passages from the Wisdom of Sirach actually calmed me down during a tough time) - although I gave one OSB as a gift to my estranged wife who's involved with a disfellowshipped (?) JW.   Huh
Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 11:27:59 PM »

I have purchased an OSB and find the text somewhat inadequate, for exmple:

Matthew 18:26

OSB  “The servant therefore fell down before him . . .”

KJV  “The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him . . .”

TR  “πεσων ουν ο δουλος προσεκυνει αυτω . . .”  Translated:  “Having fallen down therefore the bondman did homage to him . . .”

G4352
προσκυνέω
proskuneō
pros-koo-neh'-o
From G4314 and probably a derivative of G2965 (meaning to kiss, like a dog licking his master’s hand); to fawn or crouch to, that is, (literally or figuratively) prostrate oneself in homage (do reverence to, adore): - worship.

I find it strange that the OSB deletes the word for "worshipped".  This aligns itself with the theological leanings of the NIV.  Even the NA27 includes the word but sites sources that exclude it in the critical apparatus.  I am working a comprehensive comparison, but so far I am not impressed with the OSB.  I find the text in many cases to be rather protestant.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 12:29:02 AM »

This aligns itself with the theological leanings of the NIV.  Even the NA27 includes the word but sites sources that exclude it in the critical apparatus.  I am working a comprehensive comparison, but so far I am not impressed with the OSB.  I find the text in many cases to be rather protestant.

If  "do homage" is a valid and appropriate translation from the Greek, what is the problem?

The OSB uses the NKJV to facillitate ease of reading by non-ethnic people interested in Orthodoxy.
Marc Hanna
Elder

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 01:11:29 AM »

The OSB does not include "did homage" either.  It excludes any translation from the Greek text regarding this word.  It treats the word as though it does not exist in the Greek text.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 01:21:01 AM »

Going back to the Greek translation of προσκυνέω as prostrated....

prostrated = fell down

I still don't see a problem when an accurate Greek translation is being used.

What is the source for the Greek translations so I can take a look myself?   Cool
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 02:35:26 AM »

Going back to the Greek translation of προσκυνέω as prostrated....

prostrated = fell down

I still don't see a problem when an accurate Greek translation is being used.

What is the source for the Greek translations so I can take a look myself?   Cool

Looks to be straight from Strong's, or at least based on its definitions. Nothing beats asking a real Greek, however.  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 02:42:14 AM »

Looks to be straight from Strong's, or at least based on its definitions. Nothing beats asking a real Greek, however.  Wink

"bow" is another valid translation - from Divry's.   Wink
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 07:47:26 AM »

This aligns itself with the theological leanings of the NIV.  Even the NA27 includes the word but sites sources that exclude it in the critical apparatus.  I am working a comprehensive comparison, but so far I am not impressed with the OSB.  I find the text in many cases to be rather protestant.

If  "do homage" is a valid and appropriate translation from the Greek, what is the problem?

The OSB uses the NKJV to facillitate ease of reading by non-ethnic people interested in Orthodoxy.

Another issue (and I got this from someone involved with it) was the influence of KJV on English. They, for instance preferred "The Sons of Israel," which is more correct for the Greek "uioi tou Israel," but "Children of Israel" is entrenched.  I think this is what, for instance, is in opporation of why Psalm 22/23 is "The Lord is my Shephard," rather than "The Lord shephard's me."

Marc Hanna
Elder

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 08:31:57 AM »

The word "πεσων" is translated as "fallen down", so obviously the word "προσεκυνει" was being used to further the idea and should be contrasted in the translation or else it would be translated "having fallen down therefore the servant fell down to him," which doesn't make any sense.

My issue is that the OSB simply left the translation of "προσεκυνει" out not that it was translated wrong.  However, in consulting four different lexicons, they all reference it particularly to worshipping.

I used Strong's in my original post but only because I have it on my computer and it's easy to "cut and paste" not because I believe it to be the final authority.

The OSB appears to inherit most of the flaws of the NKJV.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 09:26:39 AM by Marc Hanna » Logged
Marc Hanna
Elder

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 09:50:08 AM »

Let's compare a similar passage:

Mat 2:11
OSB: . . . and fell down and worshipped Him.

TR: . . .και πεσοντες προσεκυνησαν αυτω . . .

In this case the OSB translates both words; "fell down" and "worshipped"

Why then in Mat 18:26 does it only translate one of the words?
Mat 18:26
OSB:  The servant therefore fell down before him . .
TR: . . .πεσων ουν ο δουλος προσεκυνει αυτω
KJV:  The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 09:57:37 AM by Marc Hanna » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 10:09:48 AM »

Let's compare a similar passage:

Mat 2:11
OSB: . . . and fell down and worshipped Him.

TR: . . .και πεσοντες προσεκυνησαν αυτω . . .

In this case the OSB translates both words; "fell down" and "worshipped"

Why then in Mat 18:26 does it only translate one of the words?
Mat 18:26
OSB:  The servant therefore fell down before him . .
TR: . . .πεσων ουν ο δουλος προσεκυνει αυτω
KJV:  The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him

I do believe it has been pointed out in this thread that the OSB utilized the NKJV as its base translation making new translations where the NKJV did not have any particular book.Specifically, the NT in the OSB is the NKJV verbatim (with Orthodox commentary). Hence, your issue should be with the NKJV and not the OSB, don't you think?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Marc Hanna
Elder

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2008, 10:19:31 AM »

Yes, agreed.  The OSB was however supposed to correct these issues and aligne the text to the Orthodox faith, which in some cases it did but in others it didn't.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2008, 10:29:01 AM »

Yes, agreed.  The OSB was however supposed to correct these issues and aligne the text to the Orthodox faith, which in some cases it did but in others it didn't.
I'm not sure I can buy your take on the intent of the publication, not that I would have an issue with those goals. Again, I recall no "aligning of text...etc.", as you state, as any goal. If you have such a need, volunteer to help on the EOB project.

Marc Hanna
Elder

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 10:47:28 AM »

Maybe so.  But my original point was that the text of the OSB is somewhat inadequate and I think my example at least raises concern that the OSB contains similar textual corruptions to that of many modern Protestant translations such as the NIV.  I still prefer the KJV.  I also like the Douay Rheims ** ducks head and dodges tomatos being thrown **.

The EOB seems quite intriguing but I'm sure they're seeking much more qualified people than me.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 08:26:06 PM »

Maybe so.  But my original point was that the text of the OSB is somewhat inadequate and I think my example at least raises concern that the OSB contains similar textual corruptions to that of many modern Protestant translations such as the NIV.  I still prefer the KJV.  I also like the Douay Rheims ** ducks head and dodges tomatos being thrown **.

My priest recommended it, as the Douay Rheims, like all Vulgate based Bibles, followed the Vetus Latina, not the Vulgate, Psalter.  The Vetus translated from the Septuagint, hence the DR was the closest think to a Septuagint translation in English.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 02:25:19 AM »

First of all, let me say that I have searched long and hard for a thread about this translation of the Holy Scriptures, so please forgive me if there is already a thread about this; I could not find it if there is such a thread.

I am seriously considering ordering this Bible, but I have read many mixed reviews about it.  I am considering spurging on the genuine red-leather edition (for $100!), but many people seem very critical about the way this came out.  Some say it's too "Protestant", others say that it is unfaithful to Orthodoxy, et cetera.  But as a catechumen who only really reads either the NRSV or the NIV for study, do you think that this would be better, or should I just stick with the Bible translations that I use and avoid this version?

Keep in mind that I really have no idea about Orthodox perspectives of the Scriptures, so this might be helpful to me.  Is the font large enough for the average reader?  Is the commentary helpful?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 02:43:09 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 02:41:30 AM »

It's been a couple years since I read the critiques of the NT part of the OSB, but my general recollection was that there were some valid points amongst a number of picky points. I don't use the OSB that much myself, especially now that I have a new Thompson's Chain-Reference Bible, but my wife has the new OSB, and my impressions of it are generally good. I would think that it's especially good for someone just getting aquainted with Orthodoxy, as it has short articles on things like deification, confession, etc. It also has the generally well-regarded article by Met. Kallistos on How To Read the Bible, a glossary of Orthodox terms, maps, and other stuff. One criticism of the OSB is that the notes are simplistic or simply restate what a verse says, but fwiw my wife finds the notes to be helpful. The font is fairly large compared to other Bible translations that I have.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 02:44:44 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 08:22:18 AM »

There are also copyright issues, and leveling the translation.  It was thought, for instance, that "Uiou tou Israil" should be "Sons of Israel" but "Children of Israel" was opted for, in deference to established usage.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 01:05:17 PM »

The EOB's articles etc. is available online:
http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/download.asp
As is the scholarly (i.e. concerned only with the received text, not the faith it expresses), the New English Translation of the Septuagint.
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 01:06:51 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Tags: Orthodox Study Bible Septuagint 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: