OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:44:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 7081 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: February 18, 2008, 03:41:57 AM »

Hey Guys!

What are some of your favorite movies? What vivid memories do they evoke for you?
One of my favorite movies is City of Angels, and it makes me think of all the experiences I've had with my angel...although not like with the character Seth. Wink

Myrrh23

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 04:39:38 AM »

Good question.  I'll have to get back to you.  So many movies!  P.S. I like the new thread  Grin

PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 09:00:35 AM »

You mean besides Ostrov, right?  Grin

Babette's Feast:  Sometimes we entertain angels unaware.  And the scripture verse "No eye has seen, no ear has heard what the Lord has prepared for those who love Him"

Enchanted April:  Even imperfect and troubled marriages can have hope. Love covers all things.

Jean deFlorette/Manon of the Spring: Good will ultimately triumph.

Truly, Madly, Deeply:  Death cannot separate us from those we love, but sometimes we need to let go.

Always:Death cannot separate us from those we love, but sometimes we need to let go.

A Pure Formality: sometimes things are not as they seem.

Persausion (the one with Ciarin Hinds) its not just the young and beautiful who can find true love.

Princess Bride: True love.

Fight Club:  sometimes things are not as they seem

Momento:  be careful who you trust, especially if you've got memory problems.

I have others I enjoy, but they don't necessarily "evoke" any particular feelings or memories.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:44:44 AM »

I love cinematography, but I am not a big fan of Hollywood production. My favorites are European films of the 1950-s - 1980-s. Perhaps my most beloved film director is Andrei Tarkovsky ("Mirror," "Andrei Rublev," "Solaris," "Stalker," "Nostalgia," "The Sacrifice"). Also everything Fellini except maybe his last postmodernist pictures (I could not get his "Satiricon," honestly), everything Antonioni, almost everything Bergman (although I prefer his early movies, up to the mid-1960-s, to his later movies, except "Autumn Sonata").

Love never fails.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 09:50:08 AM »

Also everything Fellini except maybe his last postmodernist pictures (I could not get his "Satiricon," honestly), everything Antonioni, almost everything Bergman (although I prefer his early movies, up to the mid-1960-s, to his later movies, except "Autumn Sonata").

You might enjoy this parody of Bergman by a couple of my favourite English comedians. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJi_emmNYTY.

And to be honest with you, George, I don't think Fellini got his "Satiricon".  Grin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:50:34 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:06:43 AM »

Some favourites (not in any particular order) are:

Pride and Prejudice (The BBC series, not the latest film. Watching the entire series in a weekend is an annual ritual with my elder granddaughter)

Kate and Leopald (Meg Ryan is so sweet and Hugh Jackman is so honourable).

Van Helsing (Good against evil)

Love Actually (Love truly is all around)

Troy (A different take on an epic I have always loved)

King Arthur (Good basic King Arthur legend without all the French additions)

Last of the Mohicans (Self-sacrifice for a loved one)

Stargate (Fascinating premise)

Resident Evil (1,2 and 3) (Thoroughly scary, and I loved to be scared)

Children of Men(There is always hope)

Harry Potter films (Battle of good against evil - though, I was a bit disappointed with latest film)

Kingdom of Heaven (Totally fictionalised a favourite historical figure, but it's Hollywood. Still enjoyable enough to have seen several times.)

Narnia (Good against evil)

Lord of the Rings (ditto)

The Mummy 1& 2 (ditto, with a lot of fun)

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (an old favourite)

Master and Commander (brilliant filming)

Zeffirelli's Otello (One of my favourite operas beautifully filmed)

Polanski's Macbeth (The darkest MacBeth I have ever seen, but brilliant!)

The Lakehouse (Love wins out in the end)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:30:31 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:17:28 AM »

Ostrov
Doctor Zhivago
The Sand Pebbles

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 11:02:47 AM »

Riddi - many thanks for the Bergman parody! Brilliant! Love them Brits.Smiley

Love never fails.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »

What a tough thing to narrow down?  I love all kinds of movies, but here are few:

Anything sci-fi (Spielberg, Lucas, J. Scott Ridley, Alien, Terminator 1 & 2, , especially B-movies from the 50's; War of the Worlds, Them, The Thing (including John Carpenter's version), When Worlds Collide, This Island Earth, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, Invasion of the Body Snatchers.   You gotta love 1950's women - they have perfect hair and makeup even when they are screaming their fool heads off and running from aliens in high heels.

Finding Nemo and Toy Story - Family friendly, funny movies with heart

Classics - Dr. Strangelove; Cleopatra (Eliz. Taylor); Ben Hur; African Queen; It's a Wonderful Life; Bridge on the River Kwai; The Greatest Show on Earth; Giant; Lawrence of Arabia; Wizard of Oz, Moby Dick; Some Like it Hot

Modern Classics - Lord of the Rings; Spirited Away; Apocalypse Now; Forrest Gump; Jaws

Chic Flicks:  Steel Magnolias; Fried Green Tomatoes; The Remains of the Day; Baby Cakes (Riki Lake TV Movie); Overboard (Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell);

Most Underrated Films - Blow (Johnny Depp); High Fidelity (John Cusack)

Guilty Pleasures - Silverado, Grosse Pointe Blank (anything with John Cusack); Planes Trains & Automobiles; The Jerk; Live & Let Die; Flashback (Dennis Hopper);

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 01:33:40 PM »

I love cinematography, but I am not a big fan of Hollywood production. My favorites are European films of the 1950-s - 1980-s. Perhaps my most beloved film director is Andrei Tarkovsky ("Mirror," "Andrei Rublev," "Solaris," "Stalker," "Nostalgia," "The Sacrifice"). Also everything Fellini except maybe his last postmodernist pictures (I could not get his "Satiricon," honestly), everything Antonioni, almost everything Bergman (although I prefer his early movies, up to the mid-1960-s, to his later movies, except "Autumn Sonata").

I just recently watched Solaris and liked it very much and am in the middle of watching Andrei Rublev (thank goodness for Netlifx!).
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 01:37:35 PM »

Kingdom of Heaven (Totally fictionalised a favourite historical figure, but it's Hollywood. Still enjoyable enough to have seen several times.)

Theatrical version:  Pure and utter garbage

Director's cut:  Pure gold; one of my new favorites

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 02:18:20 PM »

Tombstone (you have to love Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday)
Sands of Iwo Jima (my personal favourite of John Wayne's films, though most of his were pretty good)
The General (1926 Silent Film)
Cleopatra (1934 -- Not the Elizabeth Taylor 1963 version)
Full Metal Jacket
The Patriot

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 02:23:05 PM »

Which "the Patriot"? Gibson's or Seagal's?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »

Riddi - many thanks for the Bergman parody! Brilliant! Love them Brits.Smiley

You are very welcome. I thought it was hysterical! Grin

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 05:49:32 PM »

I find I enjoy good characterization in a film or live play. Here are a few characters that are very memorable to me:

Darth Vader (David Prowse, James Earl Jones; Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back), a seemingly stock villain becomes a loving father whose terrible accident twisted his conscience.

Teddy Brewster (John Alexander; Arsenic and Old Lace), an insane man who thinks he is Teddy Roosevelt is placed in the care of his equally delusional sisters and buries the men they kill. Who could forget his battle-cry as he charges up the living room stairs?

Edward Scissorhands (Johnny Depp; Edward Scissorhands), an interesting look at disability and the life of the disabled through a very eccentric character.

Elwood P. Dowd (James Stewart; Harvey), a man who sees and talks to a giant six-foot rabbit. Drama doesn't get any better than that.

Madeline Elster/Judy Barton (Kim Novak; Vertigo), a woman who fakes her own death and cons an innocent man into becoming a witness to it, then destroys the perfect murder when she falls in love with him.

Charles Foster Kane (Orson Welles; Citizen Kane), a man who has everything and yet longs for the one thing he cannot have: his childhood.

Othello (Laurence Fishburne; Othello), one of the best performances I've seen of Shakespeare's classic character.

Puck (Stanley Tucci; A Midsummer Night's Dream), the evilness with which Tucci played the impish sprite is uncanny.

Lamia (Michelle Pfeiffer; Stardust), one of the most original developments in an antagonist I've seen in a long time.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 07:01:27 PM »

I just watched a movie that I'd like to add to a new category:  New Favorites

Disturbia

I am absolutely, definitely not a fan of horror/slasher movies.  But this movie is actually great on characterizations, it's funny, and scary not gory.  Sort of a teen Rear Window.  Think I'm going to be watching a lot of movies this week; just got home a little while ago from my podiatrist; reinjured my previously broken ankle and all shot up full of steroid shots to the ankle and in a walking cast.  Totally sucks.  Missing my kung fu tournament this weekend and letting down my demo team.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 04:05:42 PM »

Hey Guys--

City of Angels

28 Days later

Monsterball

Born Into Brothels

Fight Club
Dark City

The Others

Gladiator

Pitch Black

The Dark Crystal

Raise the Red Lantern, King of Masks

Duma

Balto

I LOVE foreign films and documentaries!  Grin

I especially like City of Angels, 'cause there have been many times when I thought I'd rather marry my angel than anyone else, but then remembered that angels don't marry, and their Family Jewels have to do with God's Graces.... Wink
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:09:45 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 04:09:24 PM »

The original Star Wars Trilogy, now called Episodes IV, V, and VI

The Indiana Jones films

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Any and all Cary Grant films (according to my wife, I'd "go gay" for him Wink )

Mallrats

The Wickerman (the original with Christopher Lee)

Any Hitchcock film

The Princess Bride

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 05:42:02 PM »

Here's a few of mine (in no particular order)

Tombstone I agree with GiC here; does that mean I'm your Huckleberry? Cheesy

The Shawshank Redemption

The Matrix just the first one, thank you very much.

The Passion of the Christ yeah, that's right; a Catholic/Protestant movie!  Whatcha' gon' do 'bout it? Wink

The Naked Prey

Braveheart

The Princess Bride

The Village

What Lies Beneath

The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:42:50 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 05:44:04 PM »

Here are some of mine (in no particular order)

Casablanca. Perfect. Thrills, inspires, touches me with every viewing. La Marseillaise scene brings me to tears every time.

Sunset Blvd. Bizarre and spellbinding.

Lawrence of Arabia. Saw this for the first time at one of the grand old movie houses last autumn. I had refused to see this epic starring one of my all-time favorites (Peter O'Toole) until I had a chance to properly view it on the big screen. It was worth the wait.

The Grapes of Wrath. Jane Darwell, playing Ma, and Henry Fonda, playing Tom, are amazing.

The Lion in Winter. An enormous guilty pleasure with one of the wittiest scripts ever. The sparring between Katharine Hepburn, Peter O'Toole and Anthony Hopkins is delicious. Great theatre and great cinema.

A Man for All Seasons. My favorite Christian themed film of all time. Crackling script. Just saw it again yesterday with a group of seminarian friends. Paul Scofield's perfect embodiment of St. Thomas More gives new meaning to reluctant but heroic martyrdom.

The Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson is able to preserve and transmit far more of Tolkien's masterpiece than I imagined possible. One of my greatest cinema-going experiences ever.

It's a Wonderful Life. I cannot hold back tears when I see Jimmy Stewart break down in near-despair and clutch his children---neither can I at the end.

To Kill a Mockingbird. Gregory Peck. Enough said. I weep at this one too.

A Room with a View. I smile when thinking of this film. Comedy and romance with real intelligence, wit and charm. Lovely cast too: Helena Bonham-Carter, Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Denholm Elliott, Daniel Day-Lewis, Simon Cowell. (Runners up in the stately adaptation of British novel category: Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice--both versions, Howards End)

The Passion of the Christ. Brings me uncomfortably but necessarily close to the reality of my (our) redemption by our Lord Jesus Christ just when I start taking it for granted. Annual Lenten viewing! I fall to pieces during the scenes between Jesus and the Blessed Mother.

Le Passion de Jeanne d'Arc. Another magnificent depiction of the Passion. This had an effect on me similar to that of Gibson's film. Brutally frank in its depiction. Maria Falconetti's devastating performance as Joan of Arc seems divinely inspired. Her haunting eyes have been seared into me permanently.

The Philadelphia Story. Cary Grant, Hepburn, James Stewart. Why can't they make romantic comedies like this anymore?

Bringing Up Baby. As a huge Grant and Hepburn fan, I can't get enough of this one either.

All About Eve. One of those films that will never be dated. I can't think of a film with more razor sharp and memorable lines.

many of Hitchcock's films. He made more great movies than any other director. It seems impossible to rank his best. Among them are: Strangers on a Train, Notorious, Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Rebecca, Psycho. Some unsung gems: Rope, Lifeboat, Spellbound, Shadow of a Doubt, Suspicion, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes.

Indiana Jones trilogy These movies are ridiculously entertaining. Even Temple of Doom, easily the weakest of the three, has some amazing scenes. My favorite is Last Crusade, chiefly because of Sean Connery and Harrison Ford's chemistry and the Christian theme. Raiders is right behind and would probably be my favorite if I were born earlier and saw it first.

original Star Wars trilogy, chiefly Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back . The first and third are wonderfully entertaining, but it is the middle chapter that has the most heft, wit and originality. It even has a couple great lines, not something you'd expect in a Star Wars film! Leia: "I love you." Han: "I know."

Beauty and the Beast (Disney version): Great songs, great animation, one of the few really interesting villains. I don't think Disney has equalled this one.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 05:47:59 PM »

The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain

Cheesy I really enjoyed this one too, especially after spending some time in Wales!
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »

The Indiana Jones Trilogy (My favorite one being Last Crusade)

Original Star Wars Trilogy (Favorite being Return of the Jedi)

Ostrov

The 10 Commandments (Liked it since I was little)

Patton

Gettysburg

The Shawshank Redemption

Drunken Master & Drunken Master 2 (Both amazing kung fu films. Jackie Chan's best work)

Stalingrad

Pulp Fiction

Blazing Saddles (One of the funniest movies ever made)

Gladiator

Fearless
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:34:30 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 11:14:33 AM »

"The Lord of the Rings" trilogy

Toshiro Mifune "Samurai" movies like "Yojimbo", "Sanjuro" and "The Seven Samurai"

Studio Ghibli movies such as "Spirited Away", "My Neighbor Totoro", "The Cat Returns", "Whispers of the Heart" "Princess Mononoke", "My Neighbors the Yamadas", "Nausicaa", "Porco Rosso", "PomPoko" and more.  All with terrific animation art and good stories.

"Amelie"

Indiana Jones Movies 1 and 3

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Shadowlands

Pixar works - "The Incredibles", "Cars", "Monsters, Inc", "Toy Story 1 and 2"

Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon

Just for starters

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 01:39:06 PM »

The Breakfast Club
House of Flying Daggers
Bridget Jones' Diary
Life of Brian
Donnie Darko
Bruce Almighty
Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
Kung Fu Hustle
The Royal Tennenbaums
Fight Club
Better Off Dead
The Road Home
The Emperor's New Groove
The Lion King
Jakob the Liar

For various reasons Smiley  I like movies that I'm still thinking about (or quoting) years later.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 01:49:57 PM »

The Royal Tennenbaums
Two thumbs way up! Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 03:14:30 PM »

Kung Fu Hustle

For various reasons Smiley  I like movies that I'm still thinking about (or quoting) years later.

And what, pray tell, can you possibly quote out of Kung Fu Hustle?   Grin 

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »

And what, pray tell, can you possibly quote out of Kung Fu Hustle?   Grin 

The "Lion's Roar" ... LOL!   laugh

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 06:37:06 PM »

Children of Men -  Where we're headed? Definitely worth seeing if you haven't already.

Ordet-  Really fantastic Dreyer film. Plot taken from the often dubious wikipedia: The film centres around a family of farmers, who are part of a god-fearing community. There are three brothers: Mikkel, who has no faith; Anders, who wants to marry the daughter of Peter, a tailor who refuses the marriage because of Anders' religious beliefs; the third brother is Johannes, who has seemingly lost his mind and believes himself to be Jesus.  Johannes is ridiculed for his belief, but his miracles allow him to heal the rift between the two different families. The final moments show Johannes using the miracle of resurrection.

Mulholland Drive- David Lynch

Inland Empire - David Lynch's newest, possibly best.

The Wizard of Oz

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 04:13:36 AM »

Y'all might be surprised that I never watched the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies when they hit the theaters recently.  Well, I finally watched them on DVD and was pleasantly surprised by the Christian themes that made their appearance throughout the movies.  Spider-Man 3 particularly blew me away with its [allegorical] themes of slavery to sin and the passions, repentance, salvation through Christ's Church, and forgiveness, and all this woven into the plot in such a way that no one would forget that this was first of all an action movie starring one of the most popular heroes in the history of comic books.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 04:16:50 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 01:44:18 PM »

OK, I'm going to add my list of my top 50.  I expect death threats within the hour.  These are in no particular order nor are they listed by genre though the first three were the most recent movies I saw in theatres.

1.  No Country for Old Men. 
2.  There Will be Blood
3.  Juno
4.  Gladiator
5.  The Fisher King
6.  Equilibrium
7.  Lord of the Rings Triology
8.  Dances with Wolves
9.  Dr. Strangelove
10.  Spartacus
11.  This is Spinal Tap
12.  Mystery, Alaska
13.  Amadeus
14.  L.A. Confidential
15.  The Sandlot
16.  Star Wars Trilogy (Eps. IV-VI)--Did you really expect me to list I-III?  Get real!
17.  Children of Men
18.  Monty Python and the Holy Grail
19.  Life of Brian
20.  Troy
21.  Excalibur
22.  The Adventures of Robin Hood
23.  North by Northwest
24.  The Last of the Mohicans
25.  Death and the Maiden
26.  Star Trek II:  Wrath of Khan
27.  Star Trek:  First Contact
28.  Glory
29.  Braveheart
30.  Full Metal Jacket
31.  Apocalypse Now
32.  A Few Good Men
33.  Raiders of the Lost Ark
34.  Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
35.  Clerks
36.  A Mighty Wind
37.  Best in Show
38.  The Shawshank Redemption
39.  Radio Flyer (I still ball when I see this one)
40.  Flash Gordon
41.  Highlander
42.  Tommy Boy
43.  Master and Commander
44.  The Godfather (Parts I and II)
45.  The Untouchables
46.  The Man Who Shot Liberty Vance
47.  Unforgiven
48.  Superman II
49.  Batman Begins
50.  Spider-Man

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 03:19:32 PM »

OK, I'm going to add my list of my top 50.  I expect death threats within the hour.  These are in no particular order nor are they listed by genre though the first three were the most recent movies I saw in theatres.

30.  Full Metal Jacket

I watched Full Metal Jacket a few times.  Very dark view of wartime soldier psychology, but in many ways quite accurate, at least from what I experienced in Marine Corps boot camp.  The physical abuse had been abolished by the time I enlisted, but the mental and emotional abuse of boot camp was still very much preserved.  Another Vietnam War movie I found quite good:  Platoon.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »

One of my favorite movies is City of Angels, and it makes me think of all the experiences I've had with my angel...although not like with the character Seth. Wink

Strange that you should say this.  Just about my favourite film of all time is the one on which this movie is based: Wings of Desire, directed by Wim Wenders.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 04:09:52 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 04:40:43 PM »

This is not an exhaustive list.  It's just what I happen to remember right now.  (The sublime and the ridiculous are mixed together freely, in no particular order.  Wink)

Wings of Desire
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Amelie
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek: First Contact
Galaxy Quest
As Good as it Gets
Dr. Strangelove
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
Laura
The Grapes of Wrath
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance
It's a Wonderful Life
Glory
2001: A Space Odyssey
Amadeus
Andrei Roublev
The Bleu, Blanc, Rouge trilogy by Kieslowski
Dersu Uzala
This is Spinal Tap
Chinatown
Raging Bull
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption
The Mission
The Fifth Element
The Fisher King
Serenity
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 04:57:12 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 05:20:47 PM »

This is not an exhaustive list.  It's just what I happen to remember right now.  (The sublime and the ridiculous are mixed together freely, in no particular order.  Wink)

Star Trek: First Contact
Dr. Strangelove
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance
Glory
Amadeus
This is Spinal Tap
The Shawshank Redemption
The Fisher King

The ones in bold I thought were limited to my taste (see my list).  Still, some good selections.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »

Band of Brothers
Cyrano Deburgeac (french and I completey misspelled it)
Breakfast Club
Men of Honor
Funny Girl
Singing in the rain
Big Fish
To kill a mockingbird

All the Indian Jones movies to date.

Most any Shirley Temple movie.

The Lord of the rings trilogy.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2008, 08:29:34 PM »

2.  There Will be Blood
3.  Juno
4.  Gladiator
5.  The Fisher King
6.  Equilibrium
8.  Dances with Wolves
9.  Dr. Strangelove
10.  Spartacus
11.  This is Spinal Tap
12.  Mystery, Alaska
13.  Amadeus
14.  L.A. Confidential
15.  The Sandlot
16.  Star Wars Trilogy (Eps. IV-VI)--Did you really expect me to list I-III?  Get real!
17.  Children of Men
19.  Life of Brian
20.  Troy
21.  Excalibur
23.  North by Northwest
28.  Glory
29.  Braveheart
30.  Full Metal Jacket
31.  Apocalypse Now
32.  A Few Good Men
35.  Clerks
36.  A Mighty Wind
37.  Best in Show
40.  Flash Gordon
41.  Highlander
42.  Tommy Boy
45.  The Untouchables
47.  Unforgiven
48.  Superman II
49.  Batman Begins
50.  Spider-Man

Wow!  I'm not the only one who enjoyed Excalibur. 
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »

2.  There Will be Blood
3.  Juno
4.  Gladiator
5.  The Fisher King
6.  Equilibrium
8.  Dances with Wolves
9.  Dr. Strangelove
10.  Spartacus
11.  This is Spinal Tap
12.  Mystery, Alaska
13.  Amadeus
14.  L.A. Confidential
15.  The Sandlot
17.  Children of Men
19.  Life of Brian
20.  Troy
21.  Excalibur
23.  North by Northwest
28.  Glory
29.  Braveheart
30.  Full Metal Jacket
31.  Apocalypse Now
32.  A Few Good Men
35.  Clerks
36.  A Mighty Wind
37.  Best in Show
40.  Flash Gordon
41.  Highlander
42.  Tommy Boy
45.  The Untouchables
47.  Unforgiven
48.  Superman II
49.  Batman Begins
50.  Spider-Man

Oh yes - some great films listed there. I particularly liked "The Fisher King"! All the Indiana Jones films were fun, and "Gladiator" should definitely be on my own favourites list.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2008, 07:22:28 PM »

Wow!  I'm not the only one who enjoyed Excalibur. 
When I taught English IV last year, I showed Excalibur in conjuction with our unit on Arthurian legends. The kids really seemed to like it (but I wouldn't show it to any kids under 17).

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2008, 10:57:16 PM »

When I taught English IV last year, I showed Excalibur in conjuction with our unit on Arthurian legends. The kids really seemed to like it (but I wouldn't show it to any kids under 17).

Oh, come on!  Kids see worst gratuitous nudity on primetime on any given day!  What harm could it possibly do?   Grin

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 11:21:48 PM »

Dersu Uzala
One of my favorites also.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2008, 01:52:12 PM »

39 replies and nobody has mentioned Airplane or Blazing Saddles yet?!?!?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2008, 02:11:44 PM »

39 replies and nobody has mentioned Airplane or Blazing Saddles yet?!?!?

I felt outrage when I saw your comment, that people could pass up 2 great flicks... Then I remembered:

Blazing Saddles (One of the funniest movies ever made)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2008, 02:22:43 PM »

Surely, you can't be serious that I missed that somehow.. 
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »

Oh, come on!  Kids see worst gratuitous nudity on primetime on any given day!  What harm could it possibly do?   Grin
To my job. Wink

Seriously, if I felt it would do them harm, I wouldn't show it at all. Personally, I'd rather a film have gratuitous nudity than gratuitous violence, but parents can be weird about stuff like that. So, in class, R rating means no one under 17 sees it. I like to play it safe.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2008, 02:56:54 PM »

Surely, you can't be serious that I missed that somehow.. 

Yes, I can be... and please, don't call me Shirley.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: