OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 09:09:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Autism  (Read 14774 times) Average Rating: 1
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: February 17, 2008, 11:58:41 PM »

Hey Guys---

I know next to nothing about Autism, but I found these two videos on YouTube. What is of interest to me that I wanted to pass along, in case people didn't know, was that parents can request Mercury-Free vaccinations from the doctor for their children. Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+Jim+Adams%2C+Autism+%26+Chelation+on+Dateline+NBC&search_type=

Myrrh23
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 11:59:52 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »

You can request not only mercury free, but separate alternative vax'es. Some are still formuated off human fetal tissue cells, yes still. There is no argument so don't anyone bother.
Many are still formuated of egg proteins of various creatures, and present allergy issues. If you have either milk or egg allergies you have to order these. I found out too late.
ravnagorka

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:42:58 PM »

My son was autistic he now is recovered. He is not autistic since he was 4-5 years. I discovered he was not talking, loner from 18 months after the vaccination & began my journey to see what happened to my little boy. By the time he was 2 & 3 months, I was in the Royal Childrens Hospital Development Delay Unit having him screened. I was surprised to be told that the doctor was a neurologist? I couldn't understand why a neurologist would screen my baby for him not talking but then I was shocked/devastated that he thought my baby was on the mild side of the autism spectrum. I thought autism was rainman, dustin hoffman as tom cruise's brother. I couldn't understand how a loving, close baby could be autistic. I was 7 months pregnant with my 3rd baby & my world collapsed, I grieved. Fortunately, the neurologist was positive, referred me to brilliant speech therapists and the next day I discovered ABIA therapy on the internet. Its run from UCLA, LA in the US, I live in Australia but I began with reading the 'Let Me Hear Your Voice' & began the therapy immediately. I dont see autism as an illness, I see autism as a learning development that when you teach one on one with play, the kid's mind opens & absorbs the world around them. He is perfectly recovered, communicative & connected. It took 2 years ABIA but it was well worth it. For anyone who is told that their child is on the spectrum or who can see development issues, I share my story with you so that you know there is Hope. 
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:37:43 PM »

There is autism, and there are autism-like conditions.  Heavy-metal poisoning will produce "autism" in an otherwise-normal child, and chelation therapy will get rid of the heavy metals and the "autism."  But let's not confuse that with the genuine autism that is based on the presence of certain aberrant genes plus certain prenatal triggers.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
ravnagorka

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:43:11 PM »

My son was diagnosed with autism at 2 years 4 months. He is no longer autistic because of ABIA. What are the genetic factors & prenatal? I'm really interested as it has never been explained to me, thanks
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:56:17 PM »

There is autism, and there are autism-like conditions.  Heavy-metal poisoning will produce "autism" in an otherwise-normal child, and chelation therapy will get rid of the heavy metals and the "autism."  But let's not confuse that with the genuine autism that is based on the presence of certain aberrant genes plus certain prenatal triggers.

Amen.  My wife works with "autistic" pre-Kindergarten children in the public school system.  Her charges range from really autistic to just needing a really good spanking.  Problem is, too many times everyone is dumped in the same group.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
ravnagorka

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 04:59:52 AM »

My son was still a baby when he was screened. Most people to start the journey until their child is 4. Autism gets worse if left untreated, so the earlier you start the more success. I know kids who could do nothing but hit their head against the wall & constantly spin toys/string who are perfectly recovered, fully connected with their peers, family, excellent comprehension skills. Its a shame that parents are not aware of ABIA, not told because of the high intense cost. I was willing to give everything away just to finance my child's health, what do you need 2 houses for if your child has a lifelong disability? The house will come back to you, its just property. I had many people praying for him & monks in a special monastery praying. I am for ever grateful to our LORD for his kindness to me, blessing me with 3 children.
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 06:08:39 PM »

Out of the numerous valid scientific studies that have been done, none have found a link between vaccines and autism:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/science/13vaccine.html
ravnagorka

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »

I'm up to date on the scientific research. Its just that from my personal experience my baby changed after the vaccination 18 months. I've come accross medical research that shows autism develops in babies after 12-18 months. I am interested in the cause because out of 3 children only 1 had autism, for me I'm more active letting people know that there is a 'cure', for my child is perfectly abled now. All the children with autism that I knew are now OK. The 2 children I have met recently have autism even though they're my son's age because their parents did not know about ABIA, speech & play therapy. This is the tragedy if parents know of what therapy/ABIA and know from early on that their child has autism then there are options. Its just that doctors dont even want to diagnose a baby/toddler with autism not even development delay.
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 07:59:49 PM »

The research that suggested a link between vaccinations and autism has been widely discredited.

It has been argued that a key characteristic of autism is a regression at around the age vaccines are commonly given (which occurs whether or not the child is vaccinated).
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 05:15:44 AM »

Autism is general name for lot of mental and neurotic disability forms. Some time including  possessed people.
ravnagorka

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 07:47:38 PM »

Liz, I agree with you. All of my friends & parents with children who are on the spectrum believe vaccinations are the cause, I think that autism reveals itself from 12 moths to 18 months. Personally, my son loved children, jumped up & down in his pram when he saw children & he did develop words & speech. Its just that his first words were not mama or daddy. So even before his autism came out at 18 months if you look closely his language development was different.

Alive, I thought people who were diagnosed with schizophrenia were thought to be possessed not autism. Do you have a link or example of someone possessed but diagnosed with autism? Thanks
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 08:03:46 PM »

Schizophrenics and people with Dissociative Identity Disorder give far more an impression of being possessed than any autistics I ever knew, and I'm on the spectrum myself, so I know a few.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Alive
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 09:54:46 PM »

1. Less or more we all mentally ill.
2. Less or more we all schizophrenics. human was rip apart and split on thousands pieces. (Basil Great).

3. Ap. Paul declare about he have sting of satan in his flesh. So in some way any one may be possessed in this way.
Flash of Job was detain by satan too.

Critical form of possession is when demon declare it self openly (speak) and there is lot of speculation about.

Alive
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 10:21:15 PM »

Do you have a link or example of someone possessed but diagnosed with autism? Thanks

Autism is not real true diagnose.
I mean it (autism) cover lot of deferent form, where human not respecting outside influence with “adequate response” set by western psychology.

So Blissed Christ sake are would be easy diagnosed as “autistic”  in “western psychology”.

I saw tv programme (1-2 years ago or so) , where pure possessed (open form) people called autistic.  USA even have summer camp for them for “socialization”.  

Also I would say “Pentecostal tong speaking” etc is form of temporary autism.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:23:31 PM by Alive » Logged
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 10:46:43 PM »

Liz, I agree with you. All of my friends & parents with children who are on the spectrum believe vaccinations are the cause

Any form of physical weakness may expose possession. For example fasting.

So if human no longer capable to control own mind and cover internal state , it got expose in way it is.

So if vaccine(chemical stress) – destroy or block some neurotic link preventing individual from “common response” for “social interaction”.

Modern psychology may (would) identify as autistics  some desert fathers and people live solitary life.
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 08:04:51 AM »

Liz, I agree with you. All of my friends & parents with children who are on the spectrum believe vaccinations are the cause, I think that autism reveals itself from 12 moths to 18 months. Personally, my son loved children, jumped up & down in his pram when he saw children & he did develop words & speech. Its just that his first words were not mama or daddy. So even before his autism came out at 18 months if you look closely his language development was different.

That's interesting - I was reading from Charlotte Moore's book about her autistic sons which is popular in the UK, and she says the same.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »

Actually, while chelation therapy can reduce heavy-metal blood levels in a child who has been exposed to such metals, whether or not it will 'get rid' of such is very much a factor of how high a level the child had prior to it being identified and chelation begun.  Heavy-metal poisoning can (not 'will') produce autistic symptomatology; however, it can also produce a variety of other emotional and/or intellectual consequences, either rather than or in addition to autistic symptoms.

Vaccines as a causative agent for autism is generally discredited in the medical literature, however there are still significant numbers of people who choose to believe it is either the or, at very least, a cause. There are also any number of other theories as to the cause.

The so-called autistic spectrum is broad, probably much too broad - leading to the types of behavior and issues that several folks have raised - and to such disparities of presentation as that depicted by Dustin Hoffman versus the life lived by Temple Grandin. The initial descriptions of Early Infantile Autism by Leo Kanner in the late 1940s involved such a highly defined synptom cluster that diagnosis could be accomplished by a checklist. But, in retrospect, it's clear that the patient population which initially came to Dr Kanner's attention were, indeed, almost all in what would subsequently be recognized as the condition's  truest and most severe form. In that state, it can certainly be said to be rarely, if ever, curable. In fact, it's doubtful if true autism can ever be completely cured. What can be hoped is to mitigate its effects.

As regards the 18 month of age issue - the association with vaccines was originally formulated because of that age factor and that vaccines were fairly routinely admnistered at about that age. However, Kanner identified that as a common age at which parents and others first started to be aware of the symptom cluster. In retrospect, however, under careful questioning, parents and other caregivers were often found to describe earlier signs that were not noted as important at the time (and would not have been to an unskilled observer) or were written off to immaturity, etc.

Finally, although multiple instances in among sibings are not unknown, single children - regardless of his or her birth order - are likewise not uncommon.

Many years,

Neil (once involved in the assessment of autistic children, now the Dad of a child with autistic overlay, tentatively diagnosed as Aspberger's Syndrome)

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 10:36:22 AM »

IM clearly knows exactly what he is talking about, so I hope he'll excuse me for adding these few comments to his informative post:

Kanner's work is hugely important (as was the work of Hans Asperger, translated into English in the 80s but contemporary with Kanner). But I have found some of the modern work very helpful in understanding this condition - Lorna Wing's idea of a 'triad of impairments' seems to me very useful. She puts forward the idea that people on the autistic spectrum may vary hugely in terms of the way they present and the severity of their difficulty, but all will show some degree of impairment (difference from normal development) in three areas: social interaction, communication, and imagination.

I think this is a good way to look at the condition, and perhaps explains why we get so concerned - the idea of 'possession' is effectively a communication problem: as if someone has had their ability to communicate and speak for themselves blocked. But I don't think there is much maliciousness in an autistic person, because one of the characteristic features is that many (not all) autistic people find it difficult to understand the concept of lying. Lorna Wing would say this is  a failure of imagination: an autistic child doesn't easily learn that someone else might believe something different from what they themselves believe, so they don't understand how lies work.

That to me seems very different from the maliciousness implied by the idea of 'possession'.
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 08:26:52 PM »

As you know we on orthodox forum.

Orthodoxy is religion and teaching  about Individual connection with God.
There is community relationship but generally Christianity is about looking into you-self.
Isolate ourself from world influence. Ant it is could be define as autism to.

1.   Autism as medical class is “American product”
2.   It is have no clear definition nor diagnostics
3.   it cover huge range of mental stats.

Autism (imho) sound like people just find option to speculating on mental condition they have no idea about.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:27:55 PM by Alive » Logged
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 12:50:29 AM »

Kanner's work is hugely important (as was the work of Hans Asperger, translated into English in the 80s but contemporary with Kanner). But I have found some of the modern work very helpful in understanding this condition - Lorna Wing's idea of a 'triad of impairments' seems to me very useful. She puts forward the idea that people on the autistic spectrum may vary hugely in terms of the way they present and the severity of their difficulty, but all will show some degree of impairment (difference from normal development) in three areas: social interaction, communication, and imagination.

Liz,

You're absolutely correct. Lorna Wing's work and ideas are extremely important to understanding, working wth, and living with children who have any form of autism, especially those with Asperger (hmm, spelled it right this time  Embarrassed  ) Syndrome. Others have also contributed significantly, Bernard Rimland comes to mind for his work on identifying a neurobiological cause, albeit in his later writings he began to head off into the vaccination theory.

Quote from: Liz
I think this is a good way to look at the condition, and perhaps explains why we get so concerned - the idea of 'possession' is effectively a communication problem: as if someone has had their ability to communicate and speak for themselves blocked. But I don't think there is much maliciousness in an autistic person, because one of the characteristic features is that many (not all) autistic people find it difficult to understand the concept of lying. Lorna Wing would say this is  a failure of imagination: an autistic child doesn't easily learn that someone else might believe something different from what they themselves believe, so they don't understand how lies work.

Absolutely true. My son is incapable of really lying - his absolute transparency in that regard is a dead give-away on those occasions when he tries to do so.

Many years,

Neil

That to me seems very different from the maliciousness implied by the idea of 'possession'.

[/quote]

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 02:39:16 AM »

After reading somewhat about the Fools for Christ, it occurred to me (with my Aspie-dar on) that many of them were on the autistic spectrum.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Alive
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 03:48:47 AM »

After reading somewhat about the Fools for Christ, it occurred to me (with my Aspie-dar on) that many of them were on the autistic spectrum.
Precisely, what I am talking about.

Alive
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 03:59:48 AM »

People with power make up such diagnose as Autism , ADD, ADHD etc to deceive other.
They “play in God”, and them would pay for it one day.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:00:35 AM by Alive » Logged
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 10:19:14 AM »

People with power make up such diagnose as Autism , ADD, ADHD etc to deceive other.

I don't think this is true. I'm sure we don't know everything we would like to about these subjects, but I'm also sure that psychologists and diagnosticians are only trying to do their best.
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 10:20:29 AM »

Others have also contributed significantly, Bernard Rimland comes to mind for his work on identifying a neurobiological cause, albeit in his later writings he began to head off into the vaccination theory.

Thanks for the recommendation - I shall have a look at his work.  Smiley
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »

I don't think this is true. I'm sure we don't know everything we would like to about these subjects, but I'm also sure that psychologists and diagnosticians are only trying to do their best.

Road build on desire to make good often lead to hell.
For most time such will have no place for God.

People try to paly God – it is what western psychology does. They ignorant, poor educated in general and selfish( in most sophisticated form of it).
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »

I agree. It was thanks to those terrible psychologists/psychiatrists that I've begun to get my life in order. It's also because of them that my daughter was able to get help with several developmental problems, and continues to get help (she has Pervasive Developmental Disorder). I think such people fall perfectly into the discussion of doctors in Sir. 38:1-15...

Hold the physician in honor, for he is essential to you, and God it was who established his profession. From God the doctor has his wisdom, and the king provides for his sustenance. His knowledge makes the doctor distinguished, and gives him access to those in authority. God makes the earth yield healing herbs which the prudent man should not neglect; Was not the water sweetened by a twig that men might learn his power? He endows men with the knowledge to glory in his mighty works, Through which the doctor eases pain and the druggist prepares his medicines;

Thus God's creative work continues without cease in its efficacy on the surface of the earth. My son, when you are ill, delay not, but pray to God, who will heal you: Flee wickedness; let your hands be just, cleanse your heart of every sin; Offer your sweet-smelling oblation and petition, a rich offering according to your means. Then give the doctor his place lest he leave; for you need him too. There are times that give him an advantage, and he too beseeches God That his diagnosis may be correct and his treatment bring about a cure. He who is a sinner toward his Maker will be defiant toward the doctor.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:50:57 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 09:53:48 PM »

I agree. It was thanks to those terrible psychologists/psychiatrists that I've begun to get my life in order. It's also because of them that my daughter was able to get help with several developmental problems, and continues to get help (she has Pervasive Developmental Disorder). I think such people fall perfectly into the discussion of doctors in Sir. 38:1-15...

Modern psychologist working  to fit man into society comfort.

It is not path of Christianity, but antichristianity.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 05:23:26 AM »

Alive,

Your reply indicates that you are not really clear on what is meant by 'Fools for Christ'. I suggest you read http://orthodoxwiki.org/Fool-for-Christ.

Many years,

Neil

Alive
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 06:11:45 AM »

Alive,

Your reply indicates that you are not really clear on what is meant by 'Fools for Christ'. I suggest you read http://orthodoxwiki.org/Fool-for-Christ.

Many years,

Neil

Can you be specific?
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 07:59:01 AM »

Road build on desire to make good often lead to hell.

I agree with you this can be a problem. But I think (as Asteriktos is saying) that many doctors in this specific case, have provided very useful tools for us to understand and help these children.

For most time such will have no place for God.

People try to paly God – it is what western psychology does. They ignorant, poor educated in general and selfish( in most sophisticated form of it).

I don't think you can really accuse all psychologists of being poorly educated! Some may be, but many are not. The idea that autistic children may be what Russia used to call 'fools for Christ' has been stated by people who are very convinced by modern psychology: the two ideas are not exclusive at all. Where is the harm in psychologists trying to think about how best to understand autism - there is no way in which what they are saying challenges God, or tries to 'play God': after all, they are not trying to create anything, but only to describe as best they can what they have seen?
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »

I don't think you can really accuse all psychologists of being poorly educated! Some may be, but many are not. The idea that autistic children may be what Russia used to call 'fools for Christ' has been stated by people who are very convinced by modern psychology: the two ideas are not exclusive at all. Where is the harm in psychologists trying to think about how best to understand autism - there is no way in which what they are saying challenges God, or tries to 'play God': after all, they are not trying to create anything, but only to describe as best they can what they have seen?

1. I never live in Russia, visit it few times.
2. And I mention Christ sake mindless as example of incompetence western psychology in matter of Christianity and God perception.

Western psychology is pure fraud, deception and speculation.
How come could be any on educated based in fraud?

Most “phycologist with degrees” change matter of our dialog with in 5 minutes after we start , as have no capacity to justify statements them making.

I see lot of diagnosed with autism and ADD and ADHD etc.
Some of autistic have real neurotic problem, but it is “neuro-physiology” not psychology.
Rest are simply luck primary care in yearly childhood.

50-70% of kids clamed  “ADD” and “ADHD“ are undisciplined kids, for care givers and school not care for.
20-30% of ADD/ADHD kids are pure “cholerics” for it is type of them nerve system  react on irritation.
I presume some “melancholics” couldbe on this list to, but I can’t tell for sure with out proper research.

Most western phycologist even would not know what I am talking about.

And feed kids pills – easy fix for “ADD/ADHD” problems and good for “business”.
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 12:07:38 PM »

I'm really sorry, but I am struggling with your English. Please excuse me for asking for some clarification - I am just finding it hard, not trying to pick holes.

1. I never live in Russia, visit it few times.

I've never lived there either, I only know what I've read about the Russia idea, but to me it seems much preferable to hope that an autistic person may have special grace in the eyes of God, rather than to see them as possessed.

2. And I mention Christ sake mindless as example of incompetence western psychology in matter of Christianity and God perception.

Sorry, this is the bit I really don't follow. Would you mind rephrasing?

Western psychology is pure fraud, deception and speculation.
How come could be any on educated based in fraud?
But why do you think it is fraud?

Most “phycologist with degrees” change matter of our dialog with in 5 minutes after we start , as have no capacity to justify statements them making.

Do you mean, psychologists who're qualified in the academic sense, tend to change the terms of argument? It might be so, I've not seen it here but I understand that if that's happened in your debates, it must be very frustrating.

I see lot of diagnosed with autism and ADD and ADHD etc.
Some of autistic have real neurotic problem, but it is “neuro-physiology” not psychology.

Again, not sure I am following?

Rest are simply luck primary care in yearly childhood.

50-70% of kids clamed  “ADD” and “ADHD“ are undisciplined kids, for care givers and school not care for.
20-30% of ADD/ADHD kids are pure “cholerics” for it is type of them nerve system  react on irritation.
I presume some “melancholics” couldbe on this list to, but I can’t tell for sure with out proper research.

Where do you get these statistics from? Do you mean, that's what you reckon from what you've seen? And how much margin of error do you think is acceptable in diagnosis? (I agree 70% would be absolutely ridiculous!). The reason I ask is that with autism, early intervention is very important. So perhaps, it is more important to over-diagnose (and ensure help is got for all those who need it, even if it means some are re-diagnosed later), than to under-diagnose and risk missing people out. This over-diagnosis doesn't seem to happen in Britain - sadly, it seems to be the opposite - and it can mean parents lose help for years.

Most western phycologist even would not know what I am talking about.
I'm not sure I understand? If you are not addressing their area of knowledge, should they know about it? Should you not try to talk to them on their terms?

And feed kids pills – easy fix for “ADD/ADHD” problems and good for “business”.

Yes, this can be a problem. There's someone whose writing I have often read, who has two autistic sons. She thinks that some interventions are great, but she did describe how very badly her children reacted when they were prescribed certain drugs. It clearly is not good simply to assume a pill will fix things - and God forbid we go back to the old 'chemical cosh' system. Very sad.
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 12:24:39 PM »

Hold the physician in honor, for he is essential to you, and God it was who established his profession. From God the doctor has his wisdom, and the king provides for his sustenance. His knowledge makes the doctor distinguished, and gives him access to those in authority. God makes the earth yield healing herbs which the prudent man should not neglect; Was not the water sweetened by a twig that men might learn his power? He endows men with the knowledge to glory in his mighty works, Through which the doctor eases pain and the druggist prepares his medicines;

Thus God's creative work continues without cease in its efficacy on the surface of the earth. My son, when you are ill, delay not, but pray to God, who will heal you: Flee wickedness; let your hands be just, cleanse your heart of every sin; Offer your sweet-smelling oblation and petition, a rich offering according to your means. Then give the doctor his place lest he leave; for you need him too. There are times that give him an advantage, and he too beseeches God That his diagnosis may be correct and his treatment bring about a cure. He who is a sinner toward his Maker will be defiant toward the doctor.

[/quote]

I forgot to say when I read this earlier - what a lovely quotation! I shall pass it on to a friend of mine, he is training as a medic and feeling very down at the moment!
Faith

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »

Alive,

From what I am gathering, you think that all mental illness is "possession"?! I really think this is the reason that some people refuse to get help - it's this stigma attached to mental illness that they don't want attached to their name. Mental illness is VERY real, and it's a completely different ball game than demon possession. It makes me sad when people take it so lightly... It really should not be overlooked, and no offense to you, I think maybe you should be a little more sensitive towards the subject.

One another note - Liz and Irish Melkite, I agree that Wing made a huge contribution! I was just reading Wing's opinion about some of the problems in the DSM-IV and ICD-10 criteria for diagnosing an ASD (with regards to overlap in the different categories)... She is definitely a very intelligent woman.

Pray for me,
Faith.
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 12:46:05 PM »

I've never lived there either, I only know what I've read about the Russia idea, but to me it seems much preferable to hope that an autistic person may have special grace in the eyes of God, rather than to see them as possessed.
I do not share with you such enthusiasm.

I not say all “autist named” are possessed, but I see some clear cases…..
….And by the way we all luckily possessed any way….

Sorry, this is the bit I really don't follow. Would you mind rephrasing?
"Christ sake mindless" are good example of western psychology failure.  
For western psychology would classify them as mentally ill, and we declare them as healthiest then any one.

For it clear deception(in Christian way) and designed to deceive people and manipulate them.

Again, not sure I am following?
Do you nkow deference between “psychology” and “neuro-physiology”?

Where do you get these statistics from? Do you mean, that's what you reckon from what you've seen? And how much margin of error do you think is acceptable in diagnosis? (I agree 70% would be absolutely ridiculous!).
I not respect ADD nor ADHD nor Autism exists at all.
Some one take advantage of general public ignorance.....

Alive
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »

I'm not sure I understand? If you are not addressing their area of knowledge, should they know about it? Should you not try to talk to them on their terms?
There is no way such people open for any dialog , for them spend high bucks for getting degree and aim no less then good pay check in “system”.

They would eat me alive if I try to oppose publicly …..and I not try to change world which going to hell any way.
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 12:54:18 PM »

Alive,

From what I am gathering, you think that all mental illness is "possession"?!
Where i have say it?
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 12:59:15 PM »

Mental illness is VERY real, and it's a completely different ball game than demon possession.

No doubt.
We are all mentally ill.

And oftern so bad ..... worse then possession....
.....so bad that demon not worry to touch us.... for we worth than them.

Liz
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 01:01:21 PM »

"Christ sake mindless" are good example of western psychology failure.  
For western psychology would classify them as mentally ill, and we declare them as healthiest then any one.

I'm sorry, I do not understand this phrase 'Christ sake mindless'. I hope and assume you don't mean this, but the way you are using that construction it sounds like an insult familiar to speakers of British English.

For it clear deception(in Christian way) and designed to deceive people and manipulate them.

I mean, why do you think they are trying to deceive people? What is manipulative about diagnosing someone with autism?

Do you nkow deference between “psychology” and “neuro-physiology”?

Yes, but I don't understand your point, I'm sorry.

I not respect ADD nor ADHD nor Autism exists at all.
Some one take advantage of general public ignorance.....

I may be reading you wrongly, but this makes no sense. First you have said that there are 30-50% of correct diagnoses, now you say the condition being diagnosed does not exist? Which is it?

Liz
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2010, 01:02:40 PM »

There is no way such people open for any dialog , for them spend high bucks for getting degree and aim no less then good pay check in “system”.

They would eat me alive if I try to oppose publicly …..and I not try to change world which going to hell any way.

I don't really understand what you're getting at - you mean you can't oppose them because they are rich?!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2010, 03:41:53 PM »

I am sure that there are people who are autistic (as my son was), have some autistic symptoms, have ADHD, mental illness and something that has not been mentioned so far, Fatal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD). Indeed, there are some folks who are possessed. The problem is when we try to lump all of these folks together, to try to have one theory to explain us or to do so for pragmatic reasons. The latter is quite prevalent today as many kids with FASD are "diagnosed" as ADHD because the symptoms are similar, or "diagnosed" as autistic because that is where the money and resources are. I would urge all of us to really look into FASD, which is an entirely preventable condition: ladies, please do not drink alcohol if you may become or are pregnant. For further information, please go to:

FASD: http://www.fasdcenter.samhsa.gov/
ADHD: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/complete-index.shtml
Autism/ASD: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2010, 04:11:57 PM »

I am sure that there are people who are autistic (as my son was), have some autistic symptoms, have ADHD, mental illness and something that has not been mentioned so far, Fatal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD). Indeed, there are some folks who are possessed. The problem is when we try to lump all of these folks together, to try to have one theory to explain us or to do so for pragmatic reasons. The latter is quite prevalent today as many kids with FASD are "diagnosed" as ADHD because the symptoms are similar, or "diagnosed" as autistic because that is where the money and resources are. I would urge all of us to really look into FASD, which is an entirely preventable condition: ladies, please do not drink alcohol if you may become or are pregnant. For further information, please go to:

FASD: http://www.fasdcenter.samhsa.gov/
ADHD: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/complete-index.shtml
Autism/ASD: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm

FAS is such a sad condition. I've heard of it being misdiagnosed as autism too, though I believe it is only ever possible to confuse it with the low-functioning end of the spectrum (which I suppose makes it even sadder). Just a note of caution though (which I should hope isn't necessary): FAS is caused by severe and prolonged alcohol abuse. One sip of punch at Christmas or half a glass at a party before you realize you're pregnant, is not reason to worry (I say this not to suggest we all go around merrily swigging wine, but because occasionally people who weren't aware of their pregnancy get very worried about the effect of such consumption as I've described).
Alive
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2010, 08:35:57 PM »

I'm sorry, I do not understand this phrase 'Christ sake mindless'. I hope and assume you don't mean this, but the way you are using that construction it sounds like an insult familiar to speakers of British English.

Christ sake mindless are those who you refere as Fools for Christ.
Tags: autism vaccination dodgeball 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: