OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:06:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using a prayer rope  (Read 2355 times) Average Rating: 0
Cassiel

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 17, 2008, 12:50:06 PM »

My spiritual father recommended I get one, so I picked one up yesterday.  He instructed me in using it, but I still have a question or two so I don't screw anything up seriously.  For instance, I see people in church wearing them on the right wrist.  Should I do that?  I grew up Roman Catholic and we were always told not to wear rosaries.  While I know the prayer rope is different, it's similar enough to make me wonder.  If it's proper to wear them this way, how and where is it proper to wear them?  What should I know about using the prayer rope, that I might not be aware of?
Thanks!
-Anna

More than you should want to know about Cassiel.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 01:23:56 PM »

My spiritual father recommended I get one, so I picked one up yesterday.  He instructed me in using it, but I still have a question or two so I don't screw anything up seriously.  For instance, I see people in church wearing them on the right wrist.  Should I do that?  I grew up Roman Catholic and we were always told not to wear rosaries.  While I know the prayer rope is different, it's similar enough to make me wonder.  If it's proper to wear them this way, how and where is it proper to wear them?  What should I know about using the prayer rope, that I might not be aware of?
Thanks!
-Anna

I was instructed by my SF to wrap it around my left wrist, so you can still cross yourself with your right.  Also, he said to never wear it around your neck since it isn't a piece of showy jewellery.

What you should know about it?  Use it often.  Tongue  It is a great tool.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Cassiel

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:16:43 AM »

Thanks - though it seems like most sources I've seen suggest to wear it on your right wrist.  I've seen either at my church.  Significance?

Also, mine has a red bead at the center.  Is there a different prayer to say on this bead or is it just a marker?  What about the cross?  A different prayer?

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:21:33 AM »

Cassiel,

Truly, these questions--essentially, 'what prayers should I recite at this point in the prayer rule?'---should be directed to your spiritual father, since he is the one who prescribed this for you.

Please contact him and ask for clarifications. I am reasonably certain he knows what spiritual challenges you have and crosses you bear, and therefore what is needed, more so than us.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
JHP17

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:46:39 AM »

every Serb (or most every Serb) i know wears one on their wrist. we usually get them from Monasteries in Serbia and Montenegro. not that this answers your question other than that it can be worn on your wrist.

NULL
Cassiel

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 11:16:17 AM »

Very good; I will ask him.  Thanks.   Grin

Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:36:54 PM »

I have always been told that your spiritual father assigns the prayer rope to you, teaches you how to do it, and then processes and gudies you through its spiritual practices.  i have been told in the past that one is NOT to take up the prayer rope without spiritual direction as it can come to bad use otherwise.  Use your spritual Father/Director.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Cassiel

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 12:18:56 AM »

Oh, I was definitely instructed to do it, there were just a few technical questions I have.  I am still having difficulty acclimating to having a spiritual father, to be honest.  In the Roman Catholic parishes I grew up in, priests never had time to talk about anything or even answer questions.  When I ask my spiritual father for anything, I feel like a pest (which, to be sure, is not any of his doing at all - he has been nothing but helpful).  But I will go to him with this.

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 04:56:46 PM »

When I ask my spiritual father for anything, I feel like a pest (which, to be sure, is not any of his doing at all - he has been nothing but helpful). 

Please don't feel like a pest...truly, conversations with people with which I have a spiritual relationship make my day, and I know I'm not the only priest who feels this way.

Look at it from your priest's viewpoint: which would you rather do: help someone grow closer to the Lord (and maybe even help yourself through this conversation), or fill out even more paperwork for the Parish accountant (or any other mundane administrative chore that needs to be done to take care of the buildings)?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:57:29 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 07:19:52 PM »

This may sound off-collar but I'm going to ask it anyway.  Father Chris, is it appropriate to wear a prayer rope during a communal service (matins, akathists, vespers, hours, compline, Divine Liturgy...)?  I ask this because the prayer rope is a private devotion. As a community participating together as one in public we should not be focused on private prayer. One could argue that the mere existance of a prayer rope danging from a wrist does not connotate private prayer is ongoing in a public prayer service.  But does the prayer rope dangling from one's wrist during a communal service display an outer sign that shows disunification in the community that is to be gathered as one? 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:22:28 PM by username! » Logged

Cassiel

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 07:52:58 PM »

Please don't feel like a pest...truly, conversations with people with which I have a spiritual relationship make my day, and I know I'm not the only priest who feels this way.

Look at it from your priest's viewpoint: which would you rather do: help someone grow closer to the Lord (and maybe even help yourself through this conversation), or fill out even more paperwork for the Parish accountant (or any other mundane administrative chore that needs to be done to take care of the buildings)?  Roll Eyes

Thanks.  That perspective helps a lot.   Smiley

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 10:56:46 PM »

This may sound off-collar but I'm going to ask it anyway.  Father Chris, is it appropriate to wear a prayer rope during a communal service (matins, akathists, vespers, hours, compline, Divine Liturgy...)?  I ask this because the prayer rope is a private devotion. As a community participating together as one in public we should not be focused on private prayer. One could argue that the mere existance of a prayer rope danging from a wrist does not connotate private prayer is ongoing in a public prayer service.  But does the prayer rope dangling from one's wrist during a communal service display an outer sign that shows disunification in the community that is to be gathered as one?
This is, in fact, how my priest views the subject of prayer ropes in church--he forbids their use during parish services--but Fr. Chris may have a different opinion.
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 12:45:46 PM »

In a book detailing the life and counsels of Elder Porphyrios ("Wounded by Love") he states that during the services, it helps him simply to run the prayer rope through his hands while paying attention to the service.  He describes that the feeling of the rope, or feeling the cross at the end pass through his fingers, often re-focuses the mind during the service when it gets distracted by worldy concerns.

I've found this method helpful. Of course, this may be a hindrance to others.  As the others suggested, always do what your spiritual father directs you to do.

In Christ,

Michael

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Tags: prayer rope chotki 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: