OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 05:23:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Trinity - Need a good book  (Read 1755 times) Average Rating: 0
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« on: February 17, 2008, 07:41:38 AM »

Greetings,

I am looking for a good book on the Trinity.  It does NOT have to be Orthodox.  I am looking for a comprehensive study on this topic, a book that delves not only into the New Testament, but the Old Testament as well.  There has to be a good book out there.

Any suggestions,

Thanks
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 02:25:17 PM »

You might try St. Basil's On the Holy Spirit.  As the title suggests, the emphasis is on defining the nature of the Holy Spirit against those who would deny His divinity, but I found St. Basil's treatise on this very informative regarding the relationship of the Holy Spirit to the other two Persons of the Holy Trinity and therefore an excellent work on Trinitarian theology.  In fact, this short work is considered one of the foundational writings of the Greek Fathers on the Trinity.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 12:11:17 PM »

Frank Sheed has out several books and in each one he gives a very clear explanation and description of the Blessed Trinity:
1. Theology and Sanity
2. Theology for Beginners
3. To know Christ Jesus.

Theology and Sanity provides the most comprehensive discussion.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 02:22:46 PM »

Way to Nicaea by Fr John Behr
Nicene Faith by Fr John Behr
5 Theological Orations by St Gregory of Nazianzus (recent SVS Press Edition is great)
The Search for the Christian Doctrine of God by Hanson (dated but good)
Early Christian Doctrines by JND Kelley

An excellent book by a RC author: The Trinity by Karl Rahner. Rahner is hated by many conservative RCs for some of his other books but in this book he basically (IMO) destroys scholasticism and Aquinas...but, alas, he can't get his mind off the filioque totally so use caution.

Most of the books above are general developments of theology pertaining to God and Christ but I think we can't compartmentalize too much.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:23:20 PM by Anastasios » Logged

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 03:39:40 PM »

destroys scholasticism and Aquinas...but, alas, he can't get his mind off the filioque totally so use caution.

I highly doubt he destroys scholasticism or Aquinas. Cheesy

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 11:03:32 PM »

I highly doubt he destroys scholasticism or Aquinas. Cheesy

have you read the book? His critique of scholasticism is damning and had a very strong effect on Catholicism from that point on.

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:17:26 PM »

The Orthodox Way, which some of us recommended here

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14237.0.html

is really good.  Have you been able to order it?

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 11:45:47 PM »

I highly recommend "Theology and the Church" by Fr Dumitru Staniloae if you can find it.

From the back of the book:
In a fresh and masterly synthesis, rooted in the tradition of the Greek Fathers yet open to the legitimate concerns of contemporary Christian thought, Staniloae gives a dynamic presentation of the Orthodox doctrine of the Trinity as a basis of ecclesiology and anthropology.  He assumes into a balanced theological framework the totality of creation, the world and human culture, by referring it to its ultimate goal: restoration and transfiguration.

The book is a collection of separate essays from Romanian journals so you can pretty much start at any chapter your interested in.  Particularly, after reading the first three chapters, and especially the 3rd chapter, I came away with a much better appreciation and understanding of the orthodox expression of the Trinity.  I would buy the book just for the 3rd chapter.  Here's the chapter titles:

Chapter I: Trinitarian Relations and The Life of the Church
Chapter II: The Holy Spirit and The Sobornicity of The Church - Extracts From the Report of an Orthodox Observer at the Second Vatican Council
Chapter III: The Holy Trinity: Structure of Supreme Love
Chapter IV: Revelation Through Acts, Words and Images
Chapter V: Revelation as Gift and Promise
Chapter VI: The Orthodox Doctrine of Salvation and Its Implications for Christian Diakonia in the World
Chapter VII: The Problems and Perspectives of Orthodox Theology

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 01:21:05 AM »

The Orthodox Way, which some of us recommended here

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14237.0.html

is really good.  Have you been able to order it?

Yes, the book is excellent and would recommend it to any Christian even if they were not Orthodox.  The book is powerful, deep, moving and perfect for the average believer who wants to make the most out of their faith but who isn't really concerned about the particulars, but I am looking for more deeper knowledge concerning it, I want to know the particulars, Historical evidences, the relationship of the creed of trinity and how it relates to the old testament concept of God, and the spirit of God.  Because there has to be a basis in the old testament of the trinity.  I want to see how it is related, from a scholarly perspective.

And also the growth the development of the early creed of the Christians into its present form, which is recited on Sunday by every believer.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 02:49:45 PM »

Way to Nicaea by Fr John Behr
Nicene Faith by Fr John Behr
5 Theological Orations by St Gregory of Nazianzus (recent SVS Press Edition is great)
The Search for the Christian Doctrine of God by Hanson (dated but good)
Early Christian Doctrines by JND Kelley

An excellent book by a RC author: The Trinity by Karl Rahner. Rahner is hated by many conservative RCs for some of his other books but in this book he basically (IMO) destroys scholasticism and Aquinas...but, alas, he can't get his mind off the filioque totally so use caution.

Most of the books above are general developments of theology pertaining to God and Christ but I think we can't compartmentalize too much.
After eight hundred years of scholarship, some one finally figured out how to do it. LOL. Gimme a break.

scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 05:37:51 PM »

How come no one here has yet to mention St. Hilary of Poitiers'  The Trinity.  definitely worth a look.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 06:37:25 PM »

After eight hundred years of scholarship, some one finally figured out how to do it. LOL. Gimme a break.

No thanks.

Tags: Trinity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: