OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 06:30:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kyriacos Markides  (Read 1276 times) Average Rating: 0
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« on: February 19, 2008, 12:49:04 PM »

I have noted on many threads that this author's books, Gifts of the Desert and Mountain of Silence, are often recommended. I have read neither.
I do, however, have a copy of his Homage to the Sun, published in 1987. Frankly, I have started this book three or four times over the last 15-16 years and each time get about 30-40 pages in and come to a dead stop - refusing to read about a Cypriote mystic healer and all the talk about chakras, re-incarnations, and these re-incarnations resulting in "theosis". I feel each time I've got something in my hands from The Edgar Casey Institute (Association for Research and Enlightenment); feel almost sick from this seemingly heretical stuff.
Who is this author? A New Age type? Anyone else read this one? I got sucked in by his Hellenic name.
I'm not into book burning, but this one would be on the pyre if I were.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 01:08:07 PM »

I have only partially read The Mountain of Silence and bought it based on the great reviews and must read lists.  I got about 100 pages in and wasn't struck by anything un-Orthodox, I was just plain bored with his writing style.  I am not familiar with any of his other books, but will stay away from Homage to the Sun.  You also might remember that he makes it clear in The Mountain of Silence that he had drifted from Orthodoxy and only fairly recently came back to the faith seriously. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 01:17:15 PM »

Thanks. I guess if I'd read the Mountain of Silence then I would "remember"  Cheesy

If that's the case with him personally, how can I criticize him? Maybe been there before myself.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 02:57:44 PM »

I read the whole thing and to me it seemed as though his primary intent in the Mountain of Silence was to dissuade Orthodox Christians from leaving Orthodoxy in search of finding (far) Eastern type spirituality (read Buddhism)... or at the least, to show the spiritual side of Orthodoxy.

I didn't find anything heretical about the book, although he states a vigorous opposition to the Churches position on hell.  He claims that if there is ever another Ecumenical Council, the position will change.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 04:54:30 PM »

I met him and heard him speak at Hellenic College Holy Cross.  He is an amazingly intelligent man-- a sociologist at the University of Main.  Homage to the Sun was indeed written during the time when he had drifted away from Orthodoxy.  He told us that his meeting the Cypriot healer was a catalyst to re-examining Orthodoxy. 

I found him very inspirational.  His motivation didn't seem to me at all to be trying to keep anyone from leaving the church.  Rather, he was answering questions that are often brought up as criticisms and doubts of Orthodoxy.  And yes, he was showing the spiritual side of Orthodoxy via monasticism.  Personally, I thought The Mountain of Silence got much better the farther in you read.  Some of it is a little more difficult to understand and comprehend than what we are probably used to reading (like Ware, Coniaris, Harakas, etc), and it took some real concentration for me.  But actually, he did answer some questions that I had, and I thought it was well worth the read!  I enjoyed it thoroughly and can't wait to pick up Gifts of the Desert (packed away in a box at the moment with almost all of my other books).  I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good read about Orthodoxy. 

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »

As Presbytera Mari said, Dr. Marikides' earlier books were written at a time when he had left Orthodoxy and was exploring other beliefs/philosophies.  His book 'Riding with the Lion' was about his discovery of the mystical aspect of Orthodoxy and was, for me, the reason I even bothered learning about Orthodoxy.  Of coarse now, as an Orthodox Christian, if I were to go back and re-read his earlier works, I would feel the same as Αριστοκλής.  His two latest books Mountain of Silence and Gifts of the Desert are a far departure from his new-agey earlier works.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 07:36:16 PM »

I have read Riding with the lion, The mountian of silence and gifts of the desert, and I can see a change in Kyriacos. It seems during "Riding with the lion" he was beginning to really explore Orthodoxy while maintaining an open mind. By the time he writes "the mountian of silence", it seems as though he if pretty solidly Orthodox (though he does still keep some personal opinions which may differ from the church). He is clearly not a big fan of the doctrine of hell.

All in all, I loved his books; especially the mountian of silence and gifts of the desert. He asks some great questions of Father Maximos. I like how he focouses on the mystical side of Orthodoxy. After reading the books, I regret we don't have a larger monastic presence in the U.S.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: