Author Topic: Oh look! We're sharing!  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
Oh look! We're sharing!
« on: February 17, 2008, 03:10:00 AM »
For the life of me, I couldn't understand at first why EO clergy were celebrating at an altar that looked so Armenian.  Then I read the description and realized this was in Singapore, where I guess they don't have a Russian Church, but there is an Armenian one.  It's always so nice to share.   :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PZ9Euo82IU4
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:11:15 AM by Salpy »

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
Re: Oh look! We're sharing!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 02:37:43 AM »
I have a question for my EO friends:

Why are there only two candles on the altar?  Whenever I have been to an EO church, there is a candle stick on the altar that holds seven candles.  Or am I not remembering correctly?

Usually, Armenian altars are supposed to have 12 candles, one for each apostle.  You can see that here:

http://www.saintkevork.org/gallery/January-8%2C-2006/DSCN1175

Sometimes, if an altar is too small, they may reduce the amount to eight, but it's supposed to be 12.  I've never seen 2 on an Armenian altar.

Is there a reason why the EO bishop is only using 2 candles in this video?  I'm just curious.

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 03:28:26 AM »
Is there a reason why the EO bishop is only using 2 candles in this video?  I'm just curious.
Because that is what they had.
Joseph

Online ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:11:30 AM »
I have a question for my EO friends:

Why are there only two candles on the altar?  Whenever I have been to an EO church, there is a candle stick on the altar that holds seven candles.  Or am I not remembering correctly?

Usually, Armenian altars are supposed to have 12 candles, one for each apostle.  You can see that here:

http://www.saintkevork.org/gallery/January-8%2C-2006/DSCN1175

Sometimes, if an altar is too small, they may reduce the amount to eight, but it's supposed to be 12.  I've never seen 2 on an Armenian altar.

Actually, most Churches I have been to, the candle stand is free standing, and stands behind the altar.  Here, I think it would be obscured by the altar piece, so I think arimethea has the answer.

Eight?  Does that have anything to do with Maccabbees (I know that gets a lot of play in Armenian works)?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 03:13:37 PM »

Eight?  Does that have anything to do with Maccabbees (I know that gets a lot of play in Armenian works)?

No, I think it is just as a practical matter what will fit on a smaller altar.

Thanks, guys, for answering my question.  I guess I've never seen an EO altar up that close.  Somehow I thought the candlestick with the seven candles was actually on the altar.

Offline zebu

• Mot à ta mère!
  • Elder
  • aimovoroi tourkoi!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 03:36:10 PM »
No, I think it is just as a practical matter what will fit on a smaller altar.

Thanks, guys, for answering my question.  I guess I've never seen an EO altar up that close.  Somehow I thought the candlestick with the seven candles was actually on the altar.
At my church and at the other churches I have been to, the candelabra is indeed on the altar itself.
Жизнь прожить не поле перейти

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 05:43:38 PM »
Why did the chicken cross the street on two legs ? Cause that is what God gave him.

Does God care how many candles are on the altar? Will he have mercy if I dont have enough?
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:15:44 PM »
Does God care how many candles are on the altar? Will he have mercy if I dont have enough?
A tad melodramatic, don't you think?  ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:16:41 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πλούσιοι επτώχευσαν και επείνασαν
Οιδε εκζητούντες τον Κύριον
Ουκ ελαττωθήσονται παντός αγαθού

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 06:18:30 PM »

...that depends on what else you have lying on the altar!   ;)
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Marc1152

• Toumarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 06:20:39 PM »
For the life of me, I couldn't understand at first why EO clergy were celebrating at an altar that looked so Armenian.  Then I read the description and realized this was in Singapore, where I guess they don't have a Russian Church, but there is an Armenian one.  It's always so nice to share.   :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PZ9Euo82IU4

Shoot. I couldnt watch. Got this message:

This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Online ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »
Why did the chicken cross the street on two legs ? Cause that is what God gave him.

is this  enough?

A tiered altar is set up against the railing on one side of the old foot bridge that has for years crossed the Bayou in front of Cabrini High School. The altar is decorated with candles, flowers, incense, food offerings and other items; a worn and obviously much-loved statue of Marie Laveau stands proudly on the highest tier. By the end of the ceremony, the statue will be almost entirely obscured by offerings too numerous to name, placed there by devotees of Voodoo and of the woman who made this island religion – and her hometown of New Orleans – famous for generations
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
Quote from: Marc1152
Shoot. I couldnt watch. Got this message:

This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.

Yeah, same here.

:-\ Crimony.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am