OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:35:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Song of Solomon  (Read 1990 times) Average Rating: 0
Thomas Daniel (Reji)
Chevalier
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Archdiocese of Syriac Orthodox Church

Proud to say belongs to Syriac Orthodox Church

« on: June 19, 2003, 06:46:21 AM »

Dear loving members,

Last week I was with one of the Hindu Religious
leader. He was Miss interpreter the The Song of
Solomon. The guy really think about that this chapter
is totally dealing with other than Christian religious
matter. For my knowledge and my studies I am
revealing and my Christian religious leaders teached
me in a way that;

the title The Song of songs meaning The best of songs
is the literal translation of the Hebrew Shir Hash-shirim
and the Greek asma asmaton. The term canticanticles
comes from the Latin Canticanus canticorum. The
addition asher li-Shelomoth translated which is to
Solomon is the basis for the title commonly used in
English The Song of Solomon. After the opening verse
Solomon is mentioned five more times in the text.

Traditionally the Christian church has recognized Solomon as author. The Hebrew title above is the normal way of expressing authorship in Hebrew Literature. The use of she as the relative pronoun and of Aramaisms does not militate against Solomonic Authorship since these occurred in earlier literature.
The two Greek words in the text could have come to Solomon through trade contacts with India. The numerous references to natural history and geography
fit into the context of the solomonic period.

The three main theories of interpretation are the allegorical, the literal, and the typical. In the allegorical approach history is of little importance, Solomon is identified with God, and the shulamite with Israel. In the literal perspective the experience of Solomon is the
basis of this poem which is primarily a secular love song without spiritual value. The typical interpretation
takes the poem as reflecting Solomons actual experience and expressing warm emotions of human
love. In the old testament context it typifies God's love for Israel. In the New Testament this is paralleled by Jesus and the church. For the scriptural context of
solomon as a type of Christ see II Samuel 7:12-17, psalm 72, and Mathew 12:42.

Please note that this is my knowledge and anymistake arise in this regards, please let me know.

In Christ
Thomas Daniel (Reji)

Oh.. Morth Mariam Yoldath Aloho (Mother Of God)Pray For Us
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 10:15:22 PM »

I just noticed this thread being referred to at the bottom of a different thread and thought i'd revive it to bring everyone's attention to a recently published work by His Holiness Pope Shenouda on the Song of Songs: Have You Seen the One I Love?

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Tags: Pope Shenouda 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: