OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 06:31:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROCOR Western-Rite churches?  (Read 5089 times) Average Rating: 0
JHP17

OC.net

« on: February 15, 2008, 09:00:31 PM »

hi everyone,

i just wanted to ask as you all know so much about these things - about Western-Rite Orthodoxy. i will be moving soon to a place that seems to only have Western-Rite Orthodoxy. They are a part of the ROCOR. It is under the omophorion of His Eminence, Hilarion, Archbishop of Sydney. can anyone tell me if they are cannonical? I did a quick search here but the info wasn't complete.

thanks
JHP17

NULL
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:12:06 PM »

Archbishop Hilarion is the ROCA hierarch over the ROCA's diocesan jurisdiction of Australia.  The Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCA) entered into communion with the Patriarchate of Moscow on the Feast of the Ascension, 2007.  They are thereby in communion with the community of Eastern Orthodox Churches, i.e. the Ancient Patriarchates of Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch and Jerusalem, and the Churches of Greece, Serbia, Romania, Cyprus, etc.  Accordingly, these autocephalos Orthodox Churches, must consider the ROCA to be "canonical;" functioning within the canons of the Orthodox Church.

I can't say that I know; however, I wasn't aware that the ROCA had a western rite.  Archbishop Hilarion is a traditionalist.  I had read that Saint John of Shanghai and San Francisco, for a time, while he was in Western Europe, had authorized a Western rite, but I did not know they had maintained a Western Rite.  The Greek's, Antiochian's and Serbian's also have rather numerous parishes in Australia.  The Serbian Bishop, Bishop Iriney, is an American, who grew up in the Greater Cleveland, Ohio area.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:23:58 PM by BTRAKAS » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:14 PM »

hi everyone,

i just wanted to ask as you all know so much about these things - about Western-Rite Orthodoxy. i will be moving soon to a place that seems to only have Western-Rite Orthodoxy. They are a part of the ROCOR. It is under the omophorion of His Eminence, Hilarion, Archbishop of Sydney. can anyone tell me if they are cannonical? I did a quick search here but the info wasn't complete.

thanks
JHP17

Only Western Rite Orthodox? Where's that? How did that happen?

I'm pleased to hear such places exist.  I just went to my first WRO Mass this past Sunday.  Drove through snow across Michigan and back (to Chicago), to Holy Incarnation in Taylor (now moving into her own building in Lincoln Park, MI).  I'm Arabic Orthodox, as are my sons (their mother was Romanian), so we're Eastern. But I remember growing up Arab and Lutheran.  When I was in the Middle East the disconnect was stark. I'm glad such parishes exist for the Westerners.

The Moscow Patriarchate, and then the ROCA maintained some Western Rite parishes.  And since this past year, there is no question of being canonical (though I understand some parishes withdrew from ROCA rather than communion with Moscow: such parishes of course would be a different story).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 05:05:23 AM »

Dear JHP17,

If you live in Australia contact Fr Michael in Tasmania 
m.wood@utas.edu.au

If you are in the States or Canada contact Fr James in Canada
jdeschene@msn.com

Both are hieromonks in the Russian Church Abroad

Have a look at this site of Fr Michael's...
The Ely Forum

http://p070.ezboard.com/belyforum
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »

Fr Anthony Nelson of St Benedict's ROCOR parish in Oklahoma has done Western Rite as well (in this case the approved Orthodoxified Roman Missal - more or less the Tridentine Mass).

JHP17

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 08:11:05 PM »

hey thanks everyone - i just wasn't sure about them because i had never heard of Western-Rite (i thought it was some Catholic branch). I am Serbian Orthodox and we pretty much stick to our own (Russians, Greeks, etc). I had a better search on the web and found a Greek Orthodox parish there as well. the Western Rite was more convenient as they are affiliated with the university which is where i will be working so that is why i wanted to know.
thanks again
JHP17

NULL
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 01:05:03 AM »

i just wasn't sure about them because i had never heard of Western-Rite (i thought it was some Catholic branch). I am Serbian Orthodox
Zdravo, brate Srbe!

About two years ago four or five Western Rite parishes in France entered into negotiations with Vladika Luka of Paris and the Serbian Patriarchate.  They hoped to be taken into the Serbian Church and retain the use of their form of Western Rite.  I never heard how this worked out for them.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 11:14:15 AM »

hey thanks everyone - i just wasn't sure about them because i had never heard of Western-Rite (i thought it was some Catholic branch). I am Serbian Orthodox

Belgrade, Wednesday, 29th September 2004

http://www.tased.edu.au/tasonline/orthodox/Michael04.htm

Upon the invitation of His Holiness Patriarch Pavle of Serbia, a meeting was held at the Patriarchate between the Patriarch Pavle and a delegation of the Union des Associations Cultuelles Orthodoxes de Rite Occidental (UACORO) - a Western Rite Orthodox community in France.

UACORO is the linear descendent of the community begun through the efforts of Vladimir Lossky and Evgraph Kovalevsky in Paris in the late 1920s. It was canonically constituted by a Moscow Ukase in 1936 as the Orthodox Church of France. Direction after the war fell to Archbishop (Saint) John (Maximovitch) when he was Archbishop of Paris. He consecrated Fr. Evgraph as Bishop Jean-Nectaire of Saint-Denys.

The church was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Romanian Patriarchate, which in 2001 deposed the ruling bishop Germain for gross infringement of church rules. Subsequently UACORO was formed from those parishes refusing to remain under the desposed Germain.

His Holiness Patriarch Pavle together with His Eminence Metropolitan Amfilohije of Montenegro and the Littoral, and His Grace Bishop Luka of Western Europe received the delegation. The UACORO delegation included Archipretre Jean Pierre Pahud, Fr. Maxime Jourdant, and M. Guy Treca. The Serbian Orthodox Diocese members included Presbyter Jovan Georgievski, parish priest of Paris, and Mr. Kosta Hristic, lay vice-president of the
Executive Council of the Diocese of Western Europe.

At the beginning of the meeting the UACORO delegation expressed the desire to be brought under the jurisdiction of the Serbian Orthodox Church within the framework of the Diocese of Western Europe, and by uniting with the Serbian Orthodox Church to preserve their liturgical tradition. Patriarch Pavle indicated his understanding of the difficult situation of the UACORO community of ten parishes sprerad throughout France.

At the conclusion of the discussions held over several days, it was decided to form a special committee of the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Serbian Orthodox Church to report to the next meeting of the Holy Synod.

JHP17

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 12:04:14 AM »

actually Irish Hermit - sestra srpkinja Smiley
interesting stuff - thanks!

NULL
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 12:46:23 AM »

actually Irish Hermit - sestra srpkinja Smiley
Oj, draga moja sestra.  Opsosti....Kako sam pogresio!

Gresni kibernetski kaludjer
Amvrosije
JHP17

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 08:44:11 PM »

Irish hermit you are forgiven! Smiley

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: