OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 04:58:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for new Orthodox friends!  (Read 4554 times) Average Rating: 0
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: June 19, 2003, 01:34:18 AM »

Hello everyone!  My name is Michelle, actually baptized last year (20th June) as Katherine, after Great Martyr Katherine.  I live in Sydney, Australia.  I come from a Russian / Australian family, so grew up attending Protestant churches, and occasionally the Orthodox church.  In 1999 - 2001, I attended a Bible College and lived in the USA for two years, then came back home to Australia.  Finally, last year, I joined the Holy Orthodox Church, which has been my wish all my life.  I am now very happy as an Orthodox Christian, attending the Protection of the Holy Virgin Church.  I don't know very many other Orthodox Christians my own age (26), so am looking for people all over the world to make new friends with, so we can share our faith and thoughts together - particularly so we can all encourage one another in our walk with God, while still on earth.  If you care to write, I'd be glad to hear from you!  You can reach me at sparrowshell@hotmail.com

Joy in the Resurrected Christ!
Katherine
Hebrews 12:1,2

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 01:39:31 AM »

Hello, welcome to our site. Smiley  I am 24 and about to begin my first of graduate school.  I myself have a hard time finding Orthodox who are around my age. If you want, we can exchange e-mails.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 05:56:26 AM »

G'day Michelle/Katherine! (which do you prefer we use?)

it's nice to meet someone else from Sydney as that is where I spent most of my formative years (alas, not as orthodox). Prior to getting married and moving to Greece I lived in the Coogee/Randwick/Maroubra area. Before that I was out West at Campbelltown and Liverpool.

Where abouts in Sydney are you situated and which church do you attend? I learned from one of the nuns at a monastery here in Greece that there is a Russian monastery somewhere near Campbelltown. If you don't already know of it I recommend you find it. You might have the opportunity to meet others your age who are also visiting. I can ask Sister Damiani for more details when I next see her if you like.

I hope we get to see you here a lot more in the future, and if you know Russian, I'm sure your input would be appreciated here in the -â-ü-ü-¦-+-¦ Forum (I don't know Russian BTW).

John.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 08:40:18 AM »

A warm welcome, Katherine.  Sorry, I'm not anywhere near your age--I'm a young grandfather of 62!  But I still would very much appreciate your posting here and giving us insights as to the life of an Orthodox Christian "Down Under."   Smiley   And how you found your way home too!

Hypo-Ortho
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 09:05:54 AM »

Katherine,

Welcome to Orthodoxchristianity.net!  I know what you mean about how hard it can be to find Orthodox young adults.  I know of perhaps a handful within 500km of my geographic location(Greenville, SC USA).  

I hope to see you participate in the forums!  

David
dave@taoofdave.com
AIM: AmatorDeus

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 12:58:44 AM »

Welcome, sister Katherine!

I know you asked for new friends, but I hope you don't mind some of us who aren't so new anymore!  Wink

I hope you will post here often.

May God bless you and yours!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 02:14:40 PM »

Welcome to the site, Katherine.  I'm sure by now you've found that there are many people here, and we're by and large a friendly lot.  One thing that I don't think anyone else has mentioned is the chat room, which you can find at the top of the page.  If you ever see anyone in there, or you try the scheduled chat time (which, if I'm not mistaken, is still Thursday nights Eastern time in the US), you should join in; it is usually an interesting experience.  Wink  Other than that, the usual can be done, exchanging emails and instant messaging; that information can usually be found in the profiles.  Hope to hear more from you.

God bless,

Phil
enlightenedsince1981@excite.com
AIM: IAmNotTheMessiah

(I'm copying Dave's format... Tongue )

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 03:41:45 PM »

Welcome Michelle/Katherine!
Sydney, aye?  I'm planning a little trip there myself soon, some friends of mine are getting married at that very church you go too... I think, have to double check the invite.  As a matter of fact they're 26... only problem is after the wedding their moving back Stateside.  Can you give me some advice on what to see/do down there?  My friends will be busy & I've got 2 weeks Down Under.  
Leaving the office early today, YEAY!
Ania

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 04:37:25 PM »

Here's a good Orthodox youth website:

http://youth.orthodoxinternet.com

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2003, 05:09:20 PM »

Hi Katherine,
I'm going (just bought the ticket yesterday :smiliedisco1:) to be there July 25th (flying out July 23rd) until August 8th.  It's gonna rock, I'm sure :clapper: And the wedding is at Cabramatta.  Thanks for the advice on places to go.  :-)  Masha (the bride) has told me about the wine country out there, and hopefully I'll get a chance to take a drive out to it.  
Anyway, it's time for me to jet!
Ania

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: