OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:23:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Pray for me  (Read 1848 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« on: February 14, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »

I teach a ninth grade remedial math class. Needless to say, my students are pretty rough. Most are serious behaviour problems and many are in Gangs and have been in and out of prison. That being said, today, I finally broke. I got furious and kicked a chair. I didn't kick it at a student but one student interperated it as if I had kicked it at him. Well, he is one of the students who has been in and out of prision. He stood and and started yelling at me. I walked up to him and told him that he needed to be quiet. He got angry and started threatening to fight me. Well, of course I wouldn't fight with him. He is a child. But he got even more angry and pushed his desk at me and it did hit me. He walked out of class saying, "I am gonna kill you and your whole family." Now, I don't think he would do anything to me but now I am afraid for my job. I know I shouldn't have kicked the chair but I didn't kick it any student and it didn't hit any student. I know I lost my temper and I shouldn't have but now, I am afraid that I will lose my job. Please pray for me. Teaching so many gang members and future teen mothers has been very taxing but I really can't afford to lose my job.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:07:02 PM »

As someone who has dealt with a temper all my life (long fuse, but BIG explosion), may God grant you the grace to overcome this particular passion.

Lord, have mercy!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 05:11:31 PM »

Papist

I am sorry to hear that this happened.

Be strong in your faith.

Just take a a deep breath and begin asking the Lord to show you the way He needs you to go. After that let go of any worry and try not to harp on thoughts of how you think or hope things may go.

Focus and concenrtate on preparing yourself to accept 'fully' what God may intend for you in this matter.

God will protect us if we just learn to lean back into His arms and trust Him. So even if the worse thing happens you will be at ease knowing that God is with you.

That is the most important thing for us!

"what a friend we have in Jesus"......"what a prevelidge to carry everything to God in prayer and faith ...Amen.

Of course (as you may have already) consult with your priest on this soon during confession.

God bless you.

Fr Dcn Amde Tsion
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:29:52 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »

As a fellow teacher in the inner city (though mine is one of the better schools), I understand.

Lord have mercy on you and your students.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:52:21 PM »

Thank you all. Your prayers and messages have redirected my focus on this matter to the Spiritual. Losing my temper was a sign of a spiritual problem that must be overcome. Thank you all.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 08:58:35 PM »

Prayers...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 09:01:37 PM »

Lord have mercy, with all due commiseration. I teach a remedial Spanish class that satisfies graduation requirements. Since August, we've learned about one verb (ser) and their vocabulary could be listed on one side of an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper--yet they still manage to fail every test. If your track record is good enough (and I suspect it is), I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just do what you can to make sure it doesn't happen again. And I'd watch that one student especially--he may think he "has something on you" and may be more likely to cause trouble the rest of this year.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 09:15:02 PM »

Dear Papist, I have absolute sympathy for your dilemma.  I will not restate the fine advice that has been given to you above.  Would you mind advising of your first name, for purposes of including you in my prayers?  i. e. "Thy Servant______."  (You may leave me a personal message to that effect if that is more comfortable for you.)

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 09:36:28 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

I sympathize with you, too. I am a college teacher in small-town Mississippi, and I teach a lot of freshmen-sophomore non-major courses where the kids are often very un-prepared for any serious learning. Patience, patience... dear Lord, grant us patience...

Love never fails.
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 09:40:32 PM »

Lord have Mercy

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 09:02:25 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »

Lord, have mercy and grant you strength!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 09:26:45 AM »

Lord have mercy on us, for You know our weakness.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »

I am sure that many of your fellow teachers and admins who were former teachers, have been in this situation.  On a practical side, is there any kind of peer support group or something more informal where you could vent some of your classroom frustrations? 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 01:04:22 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Dear Papist,
The situation is completely understandable. Your actions were fine. My recommendation would be still to watch your back. Literally.
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 01:09:21 AM »

Papist, I feel for you, this is a tough gig.  I've actually developed a system for dealing with these types of youth and I'm even presenting it as the keynote speaker at this year's Indiana State Teachers Association convention.  I've had a lot of luck with it, and counselors and educators have told me it's helped them. I'd be happy to contact you privately and share my experience with you. silouan

I teach a ninth grade remedial math class. Needless to say, my students are pretty rough. Most are serious behaviour problems and many are in Gangs and have been in and out of prison. That being said, today, I finally broke. I got furious and kicked a chair. I didn't kick it at a student but one student interperated it as if I had kicked it at him. Well, he is one of the students who has been in and out of prision. He stood and and started yelling at me. I walked up to him and told him that he needed to be quiet. He got angry and started threatening to fight me. Well, of course I wouldn't fight with him. He is a child. But he got even more angry and pushed his desk at me and it did hit me. He walked out of class saying, "I am gonna kill you and your whole family." Now, I don't think he would do anything to me but now I am afraid for my job. I know I shouldn't have kicked the chair but I didn't kick it any student and it didn't hit any student. I know I lost my temper and I shouldn't have but now, I am afraid that I will lose my job. Please pray for me. Teaching so many gang members and future teen mothers has been very taxing but I really can't afford to lose my job.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 12:45:42 AM »

some times when we think the worst it isn't....my prayers just in-case ,,,,,are you east and west on  c a forum just curious......i thought i read  it on this forum somewere  that you are.....stasko

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: