OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 02:45:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Military accused of pushing Christian Fundamentalism  (Read 1222 times) Average Rating: 0
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« on: February 14, 2008, 11:41:48 AM »

Why does this not surprise me?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080214063450.m1i2f0gz&show_article=1

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:57:27 PM »

I saved a similar article about this a while back...

"He singles out one of the major Christian groups in the military, the Officers Christian Fellowship (OCF). "

They are going after OCF! IS OUTRAGE! Haha.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:31:21 PM »

This happens alot in the south. What needs to happen is for one of the Officers to convert to Orthodoxy or Rome. Or one of them to have discussions with EO or RC army folk that are "educated in their Faith".

Once that happens it will die down. Alot of conservative Prots have respect for RC's and EO's that are able to defend their Faith. Or able to explain why they believe in what they believe.......especially if they are able to use the BIBLE to do so.

If not then you will be a target for conversion......that's just the way it is......especially in the South where talking about things of Faith is common.

Whoever is the ORthodox chaplin in the airforce needs to set up an Orthodox fellowship club or something. That way the Orthodox who are in the airforce will be able to "know how" to defend their faith.

JNORM888
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:39:28 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »

This happens alot in the south. What needs to happen is for one of the Officers to convert to Orthodoxy or Rome. Or one of them to have discussions with EO or RC army folk that are "educated in their Faith".

Once that happens it will die down. Alot of conservative Prots have respect for RC's and EO's that are able to defend their Faith. Or able to explain why they believe in what they believe.......especially if they are able to use the BIBLE to do so.

If not then you will be a target for conversion......that's just the way it is......especially in the South where talking about things of Faith is common.

Whoever is the ORthodox chaplin in the airforce needs to set up an Orthodox fellowship club or something. That way the Orthodox who are in the airforce will be able to "know how" to defend their faith.

The change needed is institutional; the military needs to take a hard line against those who would abuse positions of power to advance their ideological agenda. The major who abused his position to intimidate the soldier in the article referenced should probably be court martialed. Hand out a few demotions and this will probably stop.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:02:09 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 03:51:15 PM »

Nah, GIC, someone will just wave a scent at the ACLU hound, and the fundies will give up out of pure annoyance and frustration when the hunt begins...

Quote: "He was yelling at us and stuff and at the very end he says, 'I really love you guys, I want you to see the light.'"

I can see extremist Muslims who "praise" Allah and then blow themselves up in a marketplace thinking they want all others to "see the light".

Quote: "It's easy to kill someone if you believe that they're going to hell and that they are religiously opposed to you."

Reading this, I can practically hear the song Psycho by Puddle of Mudd.... Wink

Myrrh23

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »

That article I was talking about.

Fundamentalists and the Military: James Carroll on the Danger of a New Crusade
http://www.talk2action.org/story/2007/9/18/124614/846
James Carroll, author of the best-selling book Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews, has strong opinions about the dangers Christian fundamentalism presents not just to the United States but to the world.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 06:30:31 PM »

Ukie:

If this is true its is very scary.  I'm afraid they are pushing the apocolypse as they see it which may include nuclear weapons. Then when they drop the big one all hell will break loose.

Are there any here on this board who have head first hand experience with active fundamentalist prostylization in the military.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 09:00:17 PM »

This is one of my main reasons for wanting to join the military (Navy) after college as an officer. Someone needs to try and change this, and it all starts with a few voices.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:00:27 PM by Simayan » Logged

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 11:55:53 PM »

Good luck Simayan. Bone up on your Bible and Orthodoxy.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: