OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 11:32:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disgusting Congressional Hearing  (Read 2699 times) Average Rating: 0
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« on: February 13, 2008, 03:04:07 PM »

So I'm sitting here at work and I've got the Clemens congressional hearings on and I am just astonished at these clowns asking the questions.

They are throwing Clemens the biggest softballs on the planet and they are hammering McNamee about lying (which he already admitted he did).  It is turning into a "stomp the nobody" contest while letting the big pro athlete off the hook.

I'm tempted to believe if Barry Bonds were on the hot seat, he wouldn't get the pass Roger is getting.

Roger basically confessed to witness tampering during questioning but explained that he was "only doing it to help the committee get in contact with this former nanny" and they accepted this BS, even though the attorney for the Mitchell report told them that it is customary in the industry for Clemens' lawyer or investigator to have reached out to her, not Clemens himself.  Instead, this group of monkeys just let it pass.

This committee is teaching our children a valuable lesson...

1)   You will never be forgiven if you tell a lie and;

2)   Taking drugs and hiding it is okay if you are a superstar in a given sport.

Members on this committee should be ashamed of themselves.  They are a disgrace.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 03:15:24 PM »

LOL, we waste time in similar ways... I'm watching it right now too.

Apparently the trainer kept syringes and blood soaked gauze from Clemens. 

Still, will all the real and serious issues going on in the US this is kind of silly to be wasting so much time and money on. 
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 03:27:19 PM »

True, there are many REAL issues which ought to trump this circus, but I am appalled nevertheless.

Congressman Cummins is the first guy to actually say something against Clemens.  There must have been a collective gasp in the room.  How dare he!!!

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »

This is getting ridiculous... did you see that whole drug dealer rant? 

And now Clemens is talking about "the body is a temple" and how's he's always preached to kids that steroids are bad.  "I want the children to know that"

Thinking about it, this is part of a serious issue as steroid use is becoming more common among younger athletes - even high school kids using them.   
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 03:57:19 PM »

I'm not bothering with watching the hearing.  Either prove he did it, or move on - it's the way of the American justice system (but not of Congresses' hearings, IMO).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »

As usual, they waste our bucks...pretending to be doing something worthwhile.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 05:59:36 PM »

And the real question is: why is congress even wasting their time with sucn an irrelevant issue? Surely, there are more important issues they could be debating?

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »

And the real question is: why is congress even wasting their time with sucn an irrelevant issue?

I know the why - sports are a multi-billion dollar industry, and the different leagues have what some would consider a monstrous anti-trust exemption (T.R. is rolling in his grave).  They are supposedly acting as guardians of the peoples' trust in such cases.

My objection to the process - the grandstanding, the difference in the rule of law (since it isn't a law court, per se - yet they are able to irreparably destroy a person's reputation and standing), the hot air...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 07:00:45 PM »

Honestly, it looks to me more like "The Days of our Lives" than a congressional hearing. 

Or a Maury Povic show... Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 09:37:44 PM »

I think, in the sprit of things, we need congressional hearings into George Brett's pine tar incident and also the throwing of the 1920 World Series by the White Sox.  Let's not stop there.  We also need the whold Ron Artest incident investigated as well nad Ricky Williams use of marijuana.  Sure, these happened years ago, but the government needs to make everything better so that the integrity of the sports is protected, at any and all cost. 

Where are Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, James Madison, George Washington, Ben Franklin when we really need them?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 09:46:44 PM »

Honestly, it looks to me more like "The Days of our Lives" than a congressional hearing. 

Or a Maury Povic show... Grin

Days of our Lives is a great show, perhaps one of the best currently on television.  To insult it by comparing it to the US Congress is entirely uncalled for.   Wink
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:47:00 PM by Νεκτάριος » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 11:04:32 PM »

And to think Sen. Arlen Specter wants to launch a Senate investigation of Roger Goodell and the NFL front office's role in "Spygate" (allegations that New England coach Bill Belichick spied on opposing teams prior to games).  Why is this matter of the NFL's internal policing of its own contests even the government's d**n business?! Huh
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:09:30 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 12:39:02 AM »

Days of our Lives is a great show, perhaps one of the best currently on television.  To insult it by comparing it to the US Congress is entirely uncalled for.   Wink

Wow....I got nothing for that...absolutely nothing...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 01:28:14 AM »

Where are Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, James Madison, George Washington, Ben Franklin when we really need them? 

On the 50 yard line!

Sure, these happened years ago, but the government needs to make everything better so that the integrity of the sports is protected, at any and all cost. 

Who cares about the integrity of the sport?  They care about the long-term viability of a multi-billion dollar industry that has a major impact on morale!  If they're abusing their protected status, it's time for Uncle Sam to bring in the Trust-Busters again!

---------------------
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 10:20:57 PM »

Who cares about the integrity of the sport?  They care about the long-term viability of a multi-billion dollar industry that has a major impact on morale!  If they're abusing their protected status, it's time for Uncle Sam to bring in the Trust-Busters again!

My point exactly.  I was being sarcastic.  Wink

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 03:36:24 PM »

My point exactly.  I was being sarcastic.  Wink

I know.  But I need a straight-man for my routine - sorry I made you "it" without telling you!

---------------------
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 08:21:41 AM »

Wow has this conversation taken many turns.  That's it for today... Grin Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Jimmy
Maronite

Faith: Maronite Catholic

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 01:49:45 PM »

So I'm sitting here at work and I've got the Clemens congressional hearings on and I am just astonished at these clowns asking the questions.

They are throwing Clemens the biggest softballs on the planet and they are hammering McNamee about lying (which he already admitted he did).  It is turning into a "stomp the nobody" contest while letting the big pro athlete off the hook.

I'm tempted to believe if Barry Bonds were on the hot seat, he wouldn't get the pass Roger is getting.

Roger basically confessed to witness tampering during questioning but explained that he was "only doing it to help the committee get in contact with this former nanny" and they accepted this BS, even though the attorney for the Mitchell report told them that it is customary in the industry for Clemens' lawyer or investigator to have reached out to her, not Clemens himself.  Instead, this group of monkeys just let it pass.

This committee is teaching our children a valuable lesson...

1)   You will never be forgiven if you tell a lie and;

2)   Taking drugs and hiding it is okay if you are a superstar in a given sport.

Members on this committee should be ashamed of themselves.  They are a disgrace.

The congress shouldn't even be holding these hearings.  They are wasting time.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: